Ram 1500 Brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thing you looked them over!

My guess is the former owner or dufus mechanic tried to get on one with a pliers (who knows why?), or tried to pry the caliiper and got on the piston ...and broke it. Chrysler uses phenolic pistons, which is like a bakelite "brittle" plastic. They have a stainless cap on them which contacts the brake pads ...so to the untrained eye it look like a steel piston. But they're not, and they'll crack if ya get on them with a pliers (I've done it).

It's actually a superior design. The SS cap gives some strength and robustness to the surface (SS is a poor heat conductor too). Phenolic pistons don't transfer heat as well too the caliper (less likely to overheat brake fluid), they won't rust or chip like a chrome-plated piston would (and do). It's possible it also lubricates the seal better too. Part's store calipers with chrome-plated steel-pistons are an inferior product IMO. But of course they work fine. Replacement phenolic pistons are avail through chrysler or RockAuto.

I popped the pistons out of our old '03 Jeep calipers last year just to see how they looked inside. They still look great! No problems, put them back together and good to go.

Glad you got your brakes figured out ...and it should be safer now :waytogo:
Yes sir you are correct in every way..
I say what I thought due to that stainless insert had big ole circular gouge from what looked like the rivet thingy on the backside of the pad..

Maniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Iv had Wagner oex pads and rotors on for about 6 months and I’m already getting ready to swap pads out. I’ll check on rotors when I’m in there. They are so dusty it’s insane. I wash wheels, and a week later they are black. I drive 90% highway. They also squeak really bad. I used the red no squeak stuff, and I prepped pads and rotors correctly. Did proper break in. So far I am not impressed. I may give them another chance since everyone here loves them. Maybe I got a bad set?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you swapping b/c they're worn? Or noise/dust/etc? If they're worn, somethings got to be worng (stuck pads/hanging calipers, etc).

Semi-metallics are generally going to stop better. Even mfgrs usually show a graph stating that on the box. They don't seem to be as dusty as semi-metallics of the old days (in my sketchy memory). Wagner makes a great product. Like you said something's got to be amiss in your situation. Let us know what you find out.

Good luck!

Note: Consider Mopars or Akebono (Premiums -- the OEM supplier supposedly). They're probably going to give you the best performance & life. They cost more obviously. Avoid the Mopar Value-line..get the OEM's.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this thread was started almost 4 months ago, but it's still chugging along so...
My factory brakes lasted until about 92,000 miles, city and highway mixed, and no towing, but hauling a bed full of firewood once a year.
So i just had the dealer handle it.
I don't have a shop, and I'm really feeling to old to do much wrenching. IIRC I spent 4 decades doing my own brakes and
could choose what I wanted and still saved a lot of money during
a time in my life when a couple bucks meant everything.

I currently have about 15,000 miles on the "new" brakes and they
are working fine for what I need.

I have no doubt that regular towing would change all that.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
EBC are great pads, they have different levels, denoted by color. Go to their site and check them out. Biggest difference is brake dust. Semi-metallic will usually cause more see able dust than ceramic. And yes, there is a lot more to it than that! Go to a manufacture that makes both and see the differences as they explain it. once you pick a type of pad, then compare prices of different brands. I just go to my local parts store (where I like the people I deal with). Service and attitude mean more to me than $. Hear (near Albany NY) i use O'Reilly's in Mechanicville NY. I always use Ceramic style and I also tow, have had great success with that style. Use EBC's in my Satellite (can run 10.30's in a 1/4) and our Motorcycles. May try a set of yellows in the Ram if I can wear out the pads that are there. Ram not pushed very hard!

Last edited:

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Bedding in, Seating the pads, breaking in the pads, etc. are all the same thing and the most important part of doing brakes!! Do it wrong and you will not get good results regardless of brand. Those that do it correct get good results.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am looking to replace brake pad and rotors. I am looking for a metallic option as that seems to be the best for overall price and reliability. I cant seem to find brake pads with this material. I researched a lot and cannot seem to find the material the OEM brake pads use.

A lot of reviews suggest powerstop brakes however they are carbon fiber-ceramic. Reviews say they do not perform as well and are louder in cold weather. From southern ontario and do alot of winter driving.

Any suggestions? I dont mind using OEM again but if I can get better performance for the same price I would prefer that.
I live in Southern Ontario as well I have no Idea where you are here but i have put on Max Brakes slotted cross drilled with ceramic pads from Amazon on all 4 corners ! at a cost of about $550.00 and i have never had any issue with them getting louder in wet or cold weather ! you just need to break them in as suggested !
I also tow a TT work great !
you want more info msg me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat