Ram 1500-MPG Below 10?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_Aka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, i have a 2013 Ram 1500. Most of my driving is city (Stop and go) but my MPG has dropped to 9.9 mpg. I changed the air filter a few months ago but do not know why it is so low. Is this normal and if so anyone have any advice on how to try and get it back up or is it one of those things i just have to deal with.

Thanks

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Maybe get some advice of kidshemi. He appears to be getting over 20mpg.

( ;

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have your driving habits changed? Is this mpg comparison with everything else except air filter the same? Check tires, really bad tire wear can affect mpg. You didn't happen to throw a couple thousand pounds of crap in the bed did you? :)

Also, have you checked for fuel leaks?

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, i have a 2013 Ram 1500. Most of my driving is city (Stop and go) but my MPG has dropped to 9.9 mpg. I changed the air filter a few months ago but do not know why it is so low. Is this normal and if so anyone have any advice on how to try and get it back up or is it one of those things i just have to deal with.

Thanks

Did you change the air filter because it was low, or has it become low after you changed the air filter?

Are you using the on board computer, or working it out based on gas purchases and miles?

Has it always been around 10mpg or has it gotten gradually worse, or happen suddenly?

OP
OP
R

Rich_Aka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not gonna lie and say i do not have a heavy foot but my foot has been the same weight since the day i got this truck 3 years ago. So i was more asking what could be causing a drop from 13mpg to 9.9mpg over the course of a few months. it hasnt been instantly.

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I notice a milage drop when my tires get even a little underinflated.

For a system, I now reinflate on the first of each month.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
City driving is a killer. It all depends on traffic, how many stoplights and stop signs you encounter.

Have you changed gas stations? Some gas is better than others and as mentioned, tune up, check air filter box and for correct filter. Another thing to look for would be a hanging brake caliper, throttle body may need cleaning.

OP
OP
R

Rich_Aka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i had a prius as my commuter car but when i got a new job that is 5 miles from my home i got rid of it. I just changed brakes and rotors a week or two ago for my inspection and mileage i am about 35k. i am going to top of PSI in tires and re-check the air filter.

thanks everyone

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i had a prius as my commuter car but when i got a new job that is 5 miles from my home i got rid of it. I just changed brakes and rotors a week or two ago for my inspection and mileage i am about 35k. i am going to top of PSI in tires and re-check the air filter.

thanks everyone

sounds like there is nothing wrong with your truck. your driving habits/commute changed.

jzales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems as if something is off. My 15' 4wd averaged 16 mpg combined and I don't drive easy either.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Most 2013s had the 30k spark plugs. Some get lucky and their plugs last way longer, others not so much, and when they get just a bit past the change interval without replacing them, BAM, power and/or MPG starts taking large hits.

I'd take a look at your spark plugs. Unless they are the newer iridium kind (2014+ style, good for about 100k), I'd replace them.

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 hemi 6 speed 3.92lsd 45k miles. I chose not to change plugs at 30k and by the time I got to 40k I was getting around 8mpg. Changed the plugs and jumped up to 13 mpg. Still not great. Wish I had the 8 speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk