Ram 1500 vs GMC Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
To be fair the transfer case with 4 auto in thr higher trimmed 1500's is just an AWD transfer case with a low range.

I disagree I know u have had problems but mine turns 1:1 even at idle it's 4x4 not all wheel drive

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are one of the lucky few.

Not really....a few....

There are two types of transfer cases for the new GM Half tons. Manual transfer case with 2hi, 4hi and 4lo. And electronic transfer cases with 2hi, AUTO 4, 4hi, and 4lo. There is no AWD setting. AUTO 4 simply engages the front wheels when slippage is detected out back. Similarly to how the Ram's AUTO and the Fords AUTO settings work.

Now, in older GM vehicles, like the first Gen Silverado SS (2003??) and the previous Cadillac Escalade's, and Yukon and Sierra Denali had a full time all-wheel drive transfer case. They did not have selectable modes. The were always on all-wheel drive.

But now the new Denali's Sierra and Yukons have a the 4 mode electronic transfer cases. Where you can select from 2hi, AUTO 4, 4hi, and 4lo.

The new Escalade still has "available" All wheel drive. Although you can get it in 2wd.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not really....a few....

There are two types of transfer cases for the new GM Half tons. Manual transfer case with 2hi, 4hi and 4lo. And electronic transfer cases with 2hi, AUTO 4, 4hi, and 4lo. There is no AWD setting. AUTO 4 simply engages the front wheels when slippage is detected out back. Similarly to how the Ram's AUTO and the Fords AUTO settings work.

Now, in older GM vehicles, like the first Gen Silverado SS (2003??) and the previous Cadillac Escalade's, and Yukon and Sierra Denali had a full time all-wheel drive transfer case. They did not have selectable modes. The were always on all-wheel drive.

But now the new Denali's Sierra and Yukons have a the 4 mode electronic transfer cases. Where you can select from 2hi, AUTO 4, 4hi, and 4lo.

The new Escalade still has "available" All wheel drive. Although you can get it in 2wd.

This has nothing to do with what I said... I was referring to rams transfer case. By definition however when in the 4 auto setting it is considered AWD.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Not really....a few....

Loveracing's comment of you are one of the lucky few was in response to my comment about how my 4 lock works. On many ppls rams all 4 wheels are not spinning until they get on the gas and there's slippage of the rear wheels. Mine is not like that so he was saying that I'm luck to have that situation

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has nothing to do with what I said... I was referring to rams transfer case. By definition however when in the 4 auto setting it is considered AWD.

AUTO setting any any of the trucks is not AWD. Its part time 4 wheel drive. the fronts don't engage until slippage is detected. This is how the Rams, GM's and Fords work.

Either way. I get what you were talking about.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
AUTO setting any any of the trucks is not AWD. Its part time 4 wheel drive. the fronts don't engage until slippage is detected. This is how the Rams, GM's and Fords work.

I agree when it's engaged it's 4x4

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

In that case what do you call the charger/300 AWD system? It only engages when there is wheel slip as well. There is full time 4wd/AWD like a Subaru or Audi, and then there is a selectable AWD like the auto trac system.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
AWD is different than 4x4. AWD has a diff between front and rear and 4x4 does not it's chain driven 1:1. Yes there is a clutch connection but it's still 1:1 so it is a 4x4. AWD is not allways 1:1

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
AWD is different than 4x4. AWD has a diff between front and rear and 4x4 does not it's chain driven 1:1. Yes there is a clutch connection but it's still 1:1 so it is a 4x4. AWD is not allways 1:1

There is no true definition of one or the other. My wife's grand cherokee is both AWD and 4wd by your definition. In normal driving it can vary 100% of the torque to either axle. In 4 low it is a 50/50 split. As far as I know there is no differential in the transfer case, all of it runs via a clutch.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Your wife's jeep is likely 4x4. But yes in an AWD system that could be true if the programming allows for it. It's more likely to be a 60/40 or 70/30 split imo

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately sometimes its nothing when you select all with the Auto xfer case.

BULL55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI 8 SPEED 4X4 3.21 GEAR
I looked hard @ GMC,FORD,RAM, all summer. RAM gave me more bangs for my bucks, and the HEMI with the 8 speed!

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Unfortunately sometimes its nothing when you select all with the Auto xfer case.

Ya that's too bad I really wish dodge could just fix those ones having issues, rather than deni the issue all together. The thing is if ur testing your transfer case by using the brake your doing it wrong imo. All that is showing u is how much force it take to overcome the clutch. With 400+ ftlbs coming from the engine and multiplication coming thru the torque converter and transmission that's a lot of force to deal with. The clutch is the weak link so that where it shows the problem even though in a real situation where there is low traction that issue would not show itself, up hill on ice for instance. If a person has that issue I would suggest bringing the tech there and showing them first hand and make them fix it.

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read thru some of the posts on here. Several guys have had the clutches in the xfer case overheat in deep snow already. They get an Evic warning about it. And I'm talking while they were in lock modes, not auto.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just happened today. The auto xfer case is ok, but it's designed for pavement prowlers which (fortunately) my truck is.

Lesson learned. Next one will have a part time xfer case.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk