Ram 2WD 8 speed info / pics requested.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrunninmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I am looking for some info and pics of the 8 speed transmission in a 2 wheel drive Ram. I am specifically looking for pics of the tail shaft and how it connects to the drive shaft. Does the front end of the drive shaft have a slip yoke that slides into the transmission or a hard mount? If it has a hard mount, where is the slip joint on the drive shaft?

I am looking for this info as I am trying to figure out how to use the 8 speed transmission in an older car. I know the car versions of the transmission have a hard mount as they have an independent rear suspension but I do not know what the 2WD trucks use.

Thanks,
Mark

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Both the 2wd and 4wd 8 speeds use a slip yoke mounted to the driveshaft when used in the trucks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello, I am looking for some info and pics of the 8 speed transmission in a 2 wheel drive Ram. I am specifically looking for pics of the tail shaft and how it connects to the drive shaft. Does the front end of the drive shaft have a slip yoke that slides into the transmission or a hard mount? If it has a hard mount, where is the slip joint on the drive shaft?

I am looking for this info as I am trying to figure out how to use the 8 speed transmission in an older car. I know the car versions of the transmission have a hard mount as they have an independent rear suspension but I do not know what the 2WD trucks use.

Thanks,
Mark

You'd probably have to use a short stub driveshaft to a "steady / center" bearing and have you're slip yoke at the center bearing.Would entail building a crossmember sturdy enough to contain a center bearing carrier though.

OP
OP
roadrunninmark

roadrunninmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tach, can you take some pictures of the driveshaft and where it mounts to the back of the transmission, if you have 2WD?
Thanks

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. It’s been awhile since I’ve been under a 2wd 8 speed Ram. I’m fairly positive they use a 2 piece shaft with a centre bearing. The slip yoke is actually integral to the rear driveshaft. The front portion is bolted to the back of the transmission using a rubber mount. The link Wildone posted kind of shows what it looks like.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tach, can you take some pictures of the driveshaft and where it mounts to the back of the transmission, if you have 2WD?
Thanks

Go to your local dealership and crawl under the trucks sitting on their lot .If a salesmen asks you what you're doing,tell them your interested in buying a truck,so you're checking it out,then crawl out from under it,and tell them it's not quite what you're looking for and walk away,take his card if he offers it,to pretend like you're interested,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any decent driveline shop should be able to build you a 2 piece driveshaft with the slip yoke at the steady / center / carrier bearing Mark.The hard part will be building a crossmember sturdy enough to support the center/carrier bearing.

Last edited: