Ram at dealer for Trans since Nov 27, 2018 - SAGA ENDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys with **** mileage, have you tried a different brand/ completely different station” for fuel?

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
You guys with **** mileage, have you tried a different brand/ completely different station” for fuel?

I have yes. My range at fill up has been 11.7 to 12.8 at the highest. Mostly city but some highway mixed in there.

I'm gonna run to empty for next fill up 89 at yet another new gas station and see what happens.

I do have an appointment for the clunking trans, which seems to be getting worse daily. Also just general bad shifting at lower gears

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
I supposed I might start my own "saga" thread instead of cluttering up this one.

Transmission bumps. Took it to dealer, they say it's not happening. I get in truck with them...ok now we agree it's happening. All software says up to date. Can't reflash, reset, or wipe memory in anyway way what so ever. Says that's not possible. I ask to do a quick learn as I've read on this site. We try, they said it's not working. Nothing resolved. Took truck home, transmission still bumping.

Next stop ram care for advice. Waiting on owner documents to update

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I supposed I might start my own "saga" thread instead of cluttering up this one.

Transmission bumps. Took it to dealer, they say it's not happening. I get in truck with them...ok now we agree it's happening. All software says up to date. Can't reflash, reset, or wipe memory in anyway way what so ever. Says that's not possible. I ask to do a quick learn as I've read on this site. We try, they said it's not working. Nothing resolved. Took truck home, transmission still bumping.

You should suggest them the following light reading:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2101214.pdf

Railman17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the ram bump issue occurring on all gear ratios?
I have the issue and mine has the 392 gear.

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My next question is - how long is the warranty on this new trans? The truck's 5yr mark is Feb 11, 2019. Does that mean the new trans has a 24 day warranty??? I hope that's NOT why the service rep told me "please come back at the end of the month to have everything checked, before the warranty is up".

No 'extra' warranty on parts replaced under warranty - so your original warranty period for the transmission applies. Found out the hard way when wheel bearings failed (outside original warranty) that had already been replaced while still under warranty.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the newer trucks bump with 3/4 tank of fuel? My '12 does.

So does my '17. First time it happened my truck had about 150 miles on it and I was scared it was a trans thing. Then HR got a report of a "person driving strangely in the parking lot" while I tried to troubleshoot when the bump would occur.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Any luck on a fix?

My Valve Body was replaced, but it still happens

Bringing it to a different dealer next week

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TBH Im *still* convinced this is a s/w thing. Not necessarily an issue, it just happens under just the right circumstances and somehow the data gets "kept" in the computer and that's that.

Changing the valve body (or even the whole trans) will "fix" the issue, until the data gets saved back in. Is it BAD data? Dunno.

What Ive found that seems to lessen the bump: as you are slowing to a stop, back off the brake pedal a bit then get back on it, usually around after it downshifts to 2nd gear. I can pretty much make the bump completely unnoticeable if I time the on-off-on brake correctly.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TBH Im *still* convinced this is a s/w thing. Not necessarily an issue, it just happens under just the right circumstances and somehow the data gets "kept" in the computer and that's that.

Changing the valve body (or even the whole trans) will "fix" the issue, until the data gets saved back in. Is it BAD data? Dunno.

What Ive found that seems to lessen the bump: as you are slowing to a stop, back off the brake pedal a bit then get back on it, usually around after it downshifts to 2nd gear. I can pretty much make the bump completely unnoticeable if I time the on-off-on brake correctly.

Pretty close to what I did after I experienced it in my 2016's 'almost completely stopped bump'. I thought I'd been bumped from behind by another vehicle when it happened the first time.

When I learned to drive limousines, my trainer taught me how to stop without spilling any drink the client may have in his hand in the back of the car. The idea is just before you come to a complete stop, let up on the brake until you cannot feel the actual stop. I was pretty good at it and still do it to this day most of the time. So, I started doing this when I read the computer would learn my driving behavior and sure enough, no more bump during stops. I have had my truck since 6/21/19 so almost 3 months...haven't felt the bump stop in at least a month.

The early morning weird shift and sometimes bump into gear first shift into drive is still there, but once I get out of the driveway, its gone. I was very leery of the 8 speed, but I can tell you that after towing 4-5 big loads and driving 8k miles in 3 months that I love it. I wish for only one thing...floor shifter. Still not a big fan of the dial.