ram forum please educate me on some oem replacement bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So what bulbs does our trucks take and what are compatible from experience please. Took my wife's car out last night and couldnt see isht, like apparently she would rather drive like that putting her life at risk then bothering to trouble her husband who can fix it in about 5 minutes. Her vehicle takes hb4, and long story short it appears like I can get 20% off today if I add another set for the ram, Any recommendations on bulb brand as well? Was looking at sylvania silverstar ultra's but aint married to it. I'm not looking for cheapest option here but best, longevity doesnt bother me either, it is important for me to have best vision. Appreciate the help in advance...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Maybe it's just me, or my luck? But I'm not fond of replacing
light bulbs every 3-6 months at best.

If I was paid good money I would not touch another Sylvania product for the rest of my life. It's a shame (and a curiosity for me) that they are so easy to find, but the 1st thing I would recommend is to find a source that sells some other brand.
Pretty much anything.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, and my thoughts are my experience only. I have heard stories that back up my experience but it's all anecdotal.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe it's just me, or my luck? But I'm not fond of replacing
light bulbs every 3-6 months at best.

If I was paid good money I would not touch another Sylvania product for the rest of my life. It's a shame (and a curiosity for me) that they are so easy to find, but the 1st thing I would recommend is to find a source that sells some other brand.
Pretty much anything.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, and my thoughts are my experience only. I have heard stories that back up my experience but it's all anecdotal.
appreciate it, but these bulbs that have lasted now 14 years are flat dangerous. If there is a better answer I am all ears, but I'd rather replace a bulb every 6 mos to a year then bury the wife. She just got a job in coastal city and will be doing some dangerous driving and fog. Just oem replacement isnt gonna get it done, I need more output. Even brand new these headlights werent that good, but with this new route I need some options.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My Ram has the "dreaded" oem projector low beams with oem halogen bulbs. Apparently my options are quite limited and I have honestly given up looking. I run my factory fogs all the time. Combined they do an OK job, which is saying a lot because I am a bit of a light freak.
When I was younger I installed aircraft landing lights made by Westinghouse on my Datsun. That was really fun. So bright they made a spot on a brick wall you could from 60 feet away in the bright summer sun.

So yeah, I feel you. I just don't know what to recommend.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my low beams, fogs, cargo and reverse lights to led bulbs. Much brighter and cleaner usable light over halogen. I had thought about adding additional lights on the rear hooked to my reverse, but with the LED bulbs there is plenty of light now. Also changed all interior lights to LED and added foot well LED lights as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I changed my low beams, fogs and reverse lights to led bulbs. Much brighter and cleaner usable light over halogen. I had thought about adding additional lights on the rear hooked to my reverse, but with the LED bulbs there is plenty of light now. Also changed all interior lights to LED and added foot well LED lights as well.
LED's are direct replacement, they dont flkr? Got a brand and part number?

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've not had any codes thrown, but if I did I could change setting in BCM to LED light bulbs to clear the dash warning with Alfaobd. I believe all the bulbs I got were rated to not throw codes which may be why I didn't get any warning lights. I changed them before I had my Alfaobd app to make changes, so used Techmax LED's for headlight, Sealight for fogs and ALLA lighting for reverse. Not sure if your bulb sizes are the same since your truck is a 2010. I've yet to have any of them burn out on me or cause any issues. The only bulb that I replaced that had issues was the plate light which one kept flickering so I put the halogens back in there. It obscured my reverse cam that I have mounted on my license plate anyways. Only bulb I had go bad were interior map light bulbs. Lasted about a year before they started flickering, but those were a big pack since a bunch of lights on interior use same size.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From my research and experience, the best type of bulb depends on whether you have reflector or projector headlights. I have projectors and initially tried a couple different brands of LED's in both the low and high beams. While they put out a lot of light, the low beam pattern sucked (for me). Way too much light scattering with basically no light concentration and poor cutoff . This was a couple of years ago and things may have changed since the LED technology is constantly evolving. I ended up putting HID's in my low beams and leaving the LED's in the high beams. So far so good. The HID's do take a few seconds to reach full brightness but this doesn't bother me in the least. Typically once my low beams are on, they stay on for the duration of the trip.

I have heard that LED's perform better in the reflector housings but I cannot verify this. Be careful with the reviews of various bulbs and take them with a huge grain of salt. I read a lot of very positive reviews of LED's used in projector housings but my experience was quite the opposite. Headlight Revolution is where I got my HID's from and they have good products and great customer service. They really stand behind their products, which as you probably know, is pretty hard to find these days. Their web site has a lot of great information and YT videos to help you make an informed decision.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From my research and experience, the best type of bulb depends on whether you have reflector or projector headlights. I have projectors and initially tried a couple different brands of LED's in both the low and high beams. While they put out a lot of light, the low beam pattern sucked (for me). Way too much light scattering with basically no light concentration and poor cutoff . This was a couple of years ago and things may have changed since the LED technology is constantly evolving. I ended up putting HID's in my low beams and leaving the LED's in the high beams. So far so good. The HID's do take a few seconds to reach full brightness but this doesn't bother me in the least. Typically once my low beams are on, they stay on for the duration of the trip.

I have heard that LED's perform better in the reflector housings but I cannot verify this. Be careful with the reviews of various bulbs and take them with a huge grain of salt. I read a lot of very positive reviews of LED's used in projector housings but my experience was quite the opposite. Headlight Revolution is where I got my HID's from and they have good products and great customer service. They really stand behind their products, which as you probably know, is pretty hard to find these days. Their web site has a lot of great information and YT videos to help you make an informed decision.
I agree with doing what works. I tried a set of LEDs on my fogs and didn't like them so I switched to another brand. Didn't feel the need to put LEDs in tail lights or high beams at the time either. May drop LEDs in the high beams next time I'm in there though to try them out.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
appreciate it, but these bulbs that have lasted now 14 years are flat dangerous. If there is a better answer I am all ears, but I'd rather replace a bulb every 6 mos to a year then bury the wife. She just got a job in coastal city and will be doing some dangerous driving and fog. Just oem replacement isnt gonna get it done, I need more output. Even brand new these headlights werent that good, but with this new route I need some options.
Silverstar Ultra is the quick fix, but I have read too many only last a year. But U would need to read the other info to figure out what to get if U wanted long term. U do have to watch out: as certain LED's will not work/display bad patterns in reflector vs projector and others will have canbus issues and flicker but there are brands that advertise no issues. Now there I cannot help U, as I have OEM LED Reflectors. But the Silverstars are readily available and as long as U n ot mind replacing more often, definitely the Quik Fix.

ADDED: I just put Halogens back in my Motorcycle when needed a replacement. Since my MC lights stay on all the time, putting in Silverstars is a real bear, as it is ALMOST impossible to replace bulbs on my trike w/o taking off a lot of parts, and the Silverstars are not known for longevity, regardless of advertisements. . Can be done, but I have had practice and know how to put my arm and hands in a monkey see/monkey do arrangement to put in bulbs.

ALL above IMHO (very humble)

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an fyi, anyone running housings with h11 bulbs can swap in his with quick and easy modifications. It's a slightly higher wattage, so brighter than the h11, but also shorter life span. But, when I ran the stock housings with the hella HP 2.0 h9, I was not disappointed in their output compared to a standard h11 or even led. Yes, they're not a bright white, but I've found that if you use a combination of the halogen 3000-4000K color and led 6000-6500K color it really improves visibility when using the high beams. Guess it gives you a bit of contrast. But, if you're looking for an upgrade over standard h11s and don't want to go the LED route, I highly recommend these hella h9 bulbs.
HELLA H9 2.0TB High Performance Bulb, 12V, 65W, 2 Pack https://a.co/d/cRh2df9

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My Ram has the "dreaded" oem projector low beams with oem halogen bulbs. Apparently my options are quite limited and I have honestly given up looking. I run my factory fogs all the time. Combined they do an OK job, which is saying a lot because I am a bit of a light freak.
When I was younger I installed aircraft landing lights made by Westinghouse on my Datsun. That was really fun. So bright they made a spot on a brick wall you could from 60 feet away in the bright summer sun.

So yeah, I feel you. I just don't know what to recommend.
I used what were probably the same Westinghouse aircraft landing lights on my vehicles for many years. The last car I used them on was a '82 Subaru that I sold in '92. I referred to them as my "moose lights". They were amazing lights, weren't they? And cheap too, around $12-$15 per bulb iirc, especially when compared to the price of todays auxiliary lights. I had my bulbs mounted in a thick rubber housing so no rust or corrosion to worry about. I was always very careful to turn them off quickly when encountering oncoming traffic so I didn't blind the driver. They were insanely bright! I had no idea anyone else ever used these on anything other than an aircraft. Great memories!

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Pholips Crystal Vision Platinum is another alternative. They are a bright white, and still a halogen. They say they are 60% brighter, but I would have to say more like 40% but are better for sure.

thebull55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentstar
We run Sealight Leds in all our vehicles and have been very happy with them. They are in a decent price range and their customer support has been excellent. They were a direct fit for my 2018 1500 Tradesman with reflectors.

The only problem we had was with my daughter’s ‘07 Honda Accord and they supplied us with 2 sets of decoders and they worked great.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just changed my high and low beams out in my 2022 2500 with Lasfit LED bulbs Im happy with them so far and no codes yet.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've never done it but H9 bulbs can be put in H11 sockets with a little modification to the H9 bulb connector. Supposed to yield a big difference.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Hey, Brother....

If Wifey is driving in fog, snow, sleet and all the other fun stuff... I would also consider a yellow (or amber if you can't get yellow) light bar, or dedicated pods.
I screen printed what I just installed on my Ram for yellow fog lights.

I do a huge amount of driving for my career, and as such I'm driving in really severe weather situations at times, and I just installed a pair of LED yellow fog light pods on my Ram.

They are incredible!!! Yellow is the one light spectrum where we can best see, and they cut through fog, snow, sleet, and heavy rain like a hot knife through butter (better than amber...but amber is second best)!

Yes, I recommend the usual high/low LED upgrades and light bars. But, installing dedicated yellow lights will significantly add to the safer and better driving experience, especially i inclement weather.

The other item I would also consider is either installing a yellow or blue single LED light pod in the rear and angle it down a bit so it doesn't blind those coming up behind.

Doing this will ensure that your other half is seen by those coming up on her! As you know... not seeing the vehicle in front of you in bad driving conditions is a huge hazard.

Tossing on a yellow or blue LED rear facing light is added protection!

1701808770846.png

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Note that any form of blue exterior lighting on a non-police vehicle is illegal.

Yellow or amber are fine as auxiliary lights front or rear.