RAM payload miss-information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talk2cpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Bighorn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7, RamBox
Got my 2014 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi. Looking up on the web for the payload and towing by the VIN does NOT reflect anything close to what the label on the door post says. Door post says maximum of cargo and passengers 1050 lbs.

Seems odd, but I guess its my fault for not checking the truck and just believing what RAM put on the website (advertising). Rechecked, all of the website numbers had an asterisk.

Will make our payload, me, the wife, 3 dogs, camera gear, compressor, generator and 2 gal. of gas and the 700#s of tongue weight.....OVERLOADED.

Guess I can loose another $10,000 and trade it for a 2500 so I can compress my spine and pay more for gas.

Maybe give up on retiring, keep working and stay home. Then I could buy a Prius and hug trees. :puke:

Not real happy with failing to read labels. Sure wish the dealership had helped me buy the right truck for my needs, instead of sending me off with a less than adequate truck. Don't get me entirely wrong, the truck is great, just does not meet my needs.
Tom

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, it is a half ton truck. LOL

I would spend a couple hundred dollars on rear coils and go have fun with it. Trade it in when it makes sense. You're not very far over its rating. Going and stopping won't be a problem, but you may get a little sag in the back from the trailer.

Look here:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10187

They're a pretty easy install, and shouldn't cost much to have put in at a shop.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Unfortunately dealers will do what they have to to get you in a truck (travel trailer dealers are just as bad)
I'm curious to know some more details about your truck, 6 spd or 8 spd, quad or crew, what size bed if a crew and does it have rambox, 4x4 or 2 wheel drive and what gear ratio does it have?
This is the publication I always go by, I would take it to the dealer and show them your configuration numbers don't match the rating on the sticker
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/docs/ram/rammlup1500.pdf

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get some bilsteins HD on the back. I drove a reg cab with 40 cinder blocks well over 1000 pounds and it drove just fine. First, I tried 80 but it was obvious the truck wasn't going to drive. Halved the load and with me and another person the load had to be over 1900 pounds. Literally drove with no issues and I commented that the truck was driving as if there was no load in there.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm about the last guy to give payload advice- so my advice is hook, go, have fun. I love my Ram. The presales research material was complete BS though. Landed me in the same boat along with many, many others. What the online resources calculated my payload as and what showed up were too totally different things.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wait a minute! 1050? I have same truck (14 big horn quad cab 5.7) . I have every option known to the truck except the sunroof , rambox, and air susp. So, Im assuming u either have those and they make up that extra 300 pounds or there is something fishy with your sticker? Are you sure youre looking at the right sticker. That doesnt sound right. Even a laramie w/ all options should have more payload than that if I am guessing correctly. What did the web site say? Its probably correct. It was for mine. Your number has to be higher no matter what you have (4x4 , quad, 2wd,etc)

Got my 2014 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi. Looking up on the web for the payload and towing by the VIN does NOT reflect anything close to what the label on the door post says. Door post says maximum of cargo and passengers 1050 lbs.

Seems odd, but I guess its my fault for not checking the truck and just believing what RAM put on the website (advertising). Rechecked, all of the website numbers had an asterisk.

Will make our payload, me, the wife, 3 dogs, camera gear, compressor, generator and 2 gal. of gas and the 700#s of tongue weight.....OVERLOADED.

Guess I can loose another $10,000 and trade it for a 2500 so I can compress my spine and pay more for gas.

Maybe give up on retiring, keep working and stay home. Then I could buy a Prius and hug trees. :puke:

Not real happy with failing to read labels. Sure wish the dealership had helped me buy the right truck for my needs, instead of sending me off with a less than adequate truck. Don't get me entirely wrong, the truck is great, just does not meet my needs.
Tom

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wait a minute! 1050? I have same truck (14 big horn quad cab 5.7) . I have every option known to the truck except the sunroof , rambox, and air susp. So, Im assuming u either have those and they make up that extra 300 pounds or there is something fishy with your sticker? Are you sure youre looking at the right sticker. That doesnt sound right. Even a laramie w/ all options should have more payload than that if I am guessing correctly. What did the web site say? Its probably correct. It was for mine. Your number has to be higher no matter what you have (4x4 , quad, 2wd,etc)
I'll go out on a limb: ramboxes, crew cab and 6'4" box?

My Laramie is 946lbs.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow that's sickening. I'm glad I didn't get the laramie. No offense.I didn't plan on getting into toy haulers until after I got the truck.I just planned on having a trailer and a boat.those dang toy haulers are so tongue heavy though

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
None taken. Had I seen this sticker before I ordered- I wouldn't be in it. It's almost 400lbs lower than advertised. It is what it is. We grit our teeth and make it work.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's odd.so you and the op are saying they advertised different on the specs. Mine was accurate but I wasn't looking at payload anyway when I bought the truck last year. Now I wish I would have bought a 3/4 (at least).

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If you want to know your true payload, full it up take it to a scale and weigh it. Subtract that from your gvw. My truck isn't quite as loaded it's a express and my gvw is 6900 and my truck is rated to just over 1500. Can't imagne the big horn being a ton different the larmie I get the leather is heavy. I bet your true payload is 13-1400.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's odd.so you and the op are saying they advertised different on the specs. Mine was accurate but I wasn't looking at payload anyway when I bought the truck last year. Now I wish I would have bought a 3/4 (at least).
3/4 ton would be awesome. I was 5 minutes away from owning one for better or worse a couple weeks ago :/

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you want to know your true payload, full it up take it to a scale and weigh it. Subtract that from your gvw. My truck isn't quite as loaded it's a express and my gvw is 6900 and my truck is rated to just over 1500. Can't imagne the big horn being a ton different the larmie I get the leather is heavy. I bet your true payload is 13-1400.
With me in it, a full tank, some odds and ends in the ramboxes and my trifold my truck weighs 6240lbs. So, it's pretty accurate given the tires I have now add roughly an extra 80-100lbs (?)

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Me too. I have been contemplating a different ram. Either 3/4 or 1 ton. I don't mind losing some$ but I don't want my payments going sky high so I don't think I'll be going new. I have been looking at slightly used like mine with20k or less.
3/4 ton would be awesome. I was 5 minutes away from owning one for better or worse a couple weeks ago :/

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the payload on the15 f150? 3000? Lol

This is a quote from the article I linked to:

"The 5.0L won’t tow quite as much as the 3.5L EcoBoost, but the new V8 will haul the weight of a Corvette ZR1 in the bed. The 5.0L is also capable of towing 11,100lbs. "

Granted that assumes the truck is set up with the right diff's, etc, but still nice numbers for a 150. The ecoboost is rated to tow over 12,000lbs.

The better numbers must be coming from the suspension differences, as I don't think either of those drive trains are better than the Hemi.

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Makes me want to take a look at the '15 F-150's. The towing and payload specs on them are awesome compared to our trucks. The ecoboost is the same as last year, but the 5.0 is beefed up now to 385hp. Probably to directly compete with Ram.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-ford-f150-50l-v8-packs-385hp-35l-ecoboost-does-not
If you do anything on this- go N/A. The eco in this is the exact same breed under the hood as the previous gens and I am skeptical about them having the stumbling issue fixed.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do anything on this- go N/A. The eco in this is the exact same breed under the hood as the previous gens and I am skeptical about them having the stumbling issue fixed.

Agreed. The only thing making me think of looking at them is that they are lighter trucks now from aluminum and they beefed up the 5.0. Can't get the 6.2 anymore in a 150, but the tow/haul numbers are much more truck like to me than the Ram's. My Ram is a great hot rod though.

Is it wrong to keep my Ram and go buy an F-150 too? LOL