RAM payload miss-information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be putting mine to the test come summer time. 1395 is on the door jamb. 600 tongue weight TT, I'm 230, wife 130, mastiff 130 and kids that weigh 70 and 30. Honda 80~200 lbs, generator 100. I'll be working the air suspension. Will see how it does. That's 1490 already. May have room for the generator or dog in the trailer. I'm in the same boat as op, should have bought 3/4 ton and it was highly debated but I tow this camper 6-10 times a year and don't tow except dirt bikes and 4 wheelers the rest of the year. Obviously went with the half ton.
I would buy the ~100 air bags to help with squat and call it good. You won't be anywhere near the axle limits so should be good to go.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Me too. I have been contemplating a different ram. Either 3/4 or 1 ton. I don't mind losing some$ but I don't want my payments going sky high so I don't think I'll be going new. I have been looking at slightly used like mine with20k or less.
It's a tough pill to choke down. Unforseen circumstances put the brakes on our deal, but in retrospect I am not too disappointed. This Ram has been the most reliable and well rounded truck I have owned. My previous F150 was a problem child, my wife's 14 Explorer was a problem child, and my Mustang was buggy as hell. Either I have the worst luck ever, or it was an omen. It would take a change of biblical proportions to get me back into an F150 again. The juice can body isn't that change. No matter what that door sticker says, there is something to be said for peace of mind- and I was anxious moving to the 2500... just in case.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Listen to this fella;he won't steer you wrong.
If I had realized the poor payload (and frame) of the 1500 I would have bought a smaller trailer. I can't afford to lose 50% on trading the trailer and as it stands, a 2500 isn't in the cards either. While I'm close to payload, our trailer is simply too long for a half ton (35.5' total) and wish they had beenhonest when we did our shopping- both the truck AND trailer sales folks said we were fine :flipthebird:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the new f150 has almost 2000 pounds more payload than ram,how is it getting that? Cause it can't have that much better brakes axles and frame. Can't be cause of the aluminum because they claimed a 3k payload with the other models too. My dealer told me the numbers ram posts are intended for everyday towing unlike other manufacturers. I kind of believe them

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

talk2cpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Bighorn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7, RamBox
Here is what the "builder" document shows for my truck.
Truck has the 3.21 and even this document doesn't know whether it should be 1260 lbs or 1360 lbs. So where did the 200-300 lbs go?

RAM.jpg

Problem is, if ever checked, I will be over weight because they will go by the sticker on the door post and not some fictional document on the internet.

I traded a 2012 Suzuki RMZ-4 for the RAM and it had more payload than this RAM. Only problem it had, with our setup, was short wheelbase and the trailer (25' 6000lbs loaded) would tend to wag the dog. Was too white knuckle to plan heading out for 6 months and 10,000 miles towing next fall. This trade cost me about $8000 because nobody wants a make that is no longer sold in North America. I just hope this RAM proves to be as tough and dependable as the RMZ-4.

NOTE: the RAM does get better MPG's hopefully even when towing.

Tom

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,
RAM uses the SAE J2807 towing standards testing format. The others not so much. What that means is that each RAM series is put through the tests procedures this standard requires to arrive at the payload and towing numbers. Sure RAM could say well we put 5000 lbs of weights in the bed of the 1500 and drove it 1 mile without the frame buckling so it can haul 5000 lb payload, but they didn't. These are 1/2 ton trucks, meaning they can haul 1/2 ton of payload. Last time I checked that was 1000 lbs.
Now would I rather know what the real safe capacity is or would I rather know that pie in the sky number? I know that the RAM can handle way more than it is rated for because I hauled over 1500 pounds of wood, my wife, my dogs (thought they don't amount to much weight at about 13 lbs each) and myself for a 40 mile haul on back roads, highway and city streets and it no problem.
Personally If I were planning on towing something 20 feet or longer I would buy a 3/4 ton. Since I only plan to haul trailers rarely I bought a truck that can handle most situations and still go off road if I want to, and can haul butt big time. The 1500 does all these things for me and is incredible with the power that hemi gives.
Ultimately look at what you want to do and but the tool that is right for the job you are going to do with it. In any case the RAM is no slouch in any department.
Sorry about the loooonnngg post but I felt it needed saying

Here is a helpful link.

New Tow Ratings For Entire Ram Trucks Lineup Based On SAE Standard

preachp

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If the new f150 has almost 2000 pounds more payload than ram,how is it getting that? Cause it can't have that much better brakes axles and frame. Can't be cause of the aluminum because they claimed a 3k payload with the other models too. My dealer told me the numbers ram posts are intended for everyday towing unlike other manufacturers. I kind of believe them

6r80 transmission and leaf springs IMO, Rams are built more for unloaded comfort then for hauling since most don't use trucks for what they're intended

Very interesting document Stang, I'm going to see what I can do to doctor this up for our 3rd gens. Thanks for posting that up.:naughty:

It's not mobile friendly but it can be navigated back to 2004 model year trucks I believe. I know I've used it for 05 and 07 numbers
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just from personal experience- the numbers Ford publish are pixie dust. Anybody willing to carry 2000lbs or more on a half ton frame on a regular basis is either insane or thick headed. It's all bragging rights to keep the fleet buyers coming back.
I do the IT work for all the dealerships here except Honda. I get to sit around and BS with the guys on a regular basis. The service manager at Ford and I have become quite good friends over time. During one of my lengthy belly aching sessions about payload, he pulled out a work book and showed me the rated payload numbers for a base model xlt (identical trim year to year) for 2011 through 2014. You know what he found? Ford somehow managed to increase base payload figures by over 500lbs with absolutely NO physical changes to the truck at all. Not one. If you replace a frame, or a spring or axle from any of those years, the part number is identical. If you replace a frame, axle, spring or anything on a max tow F150- guess what? Absolutely identical part to a non max tow F150 with the same gear ratio. Yet somehow the max tow F150 magically gets a 7650lbs GVWR vs the 7200lbs non max tow. The only one with different structural components is the HD payload 7 lug ugly step sister. I certainly won't come to the defense of Ram in this either. I think their ratings are complete ******** too. Rate a truck to pull 9650lbs with only 946lbs payload? Makes you wonder if they have their heads screwed on crossthreaded.
Basically his message to me was "they are full of ****. You have a half ton regardless of brand or what a sticker says. Use it accordingly."
I can only guess that all these ratings are nothing but ******** and I followed his advice. I use it accordingly ;)

Last edited:

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how often do they ever actually check weight ratings? i've never been checked or even heard of anyone getting checked around here. it's mainly farmers here so really even with the HD trucks you end up overloaded but it's never been an issue.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've only ever heard of it in BC. I know a family personally that had to go through a checkstop just inside BC and was turned around. They have some pretty draconian policies there. Here- they check chains and lights. If they are suspicious of weight, they scale you and check tire capacity and maybe axle if you're too close. They don't care about GVWR as long as your registration reflects the correct weight- for example my registration states 15000lbs. If the sum of all my axles was more than 15k, I'd get my pee-pee slapped.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi All,
RAM uses the SAE J2807 towing standards testing format. The others not so much. What that means is that each RAM series is put through the tests procedures this standard requires to arrive at the payload and towing numbers. Sure RAM could say well we put 5000 lbs of weights in the bed of the 1500 and drove it 1 mile without the frame buckling so it can haul 5000 lb payload, but they didn't. These are 1/2 ton trucks, meaning they can haul 1/2 ton of payload. Last time I checked that was 1000 lbs.
Now would I rather know what the real safe capacity is or would I rather know that pie in the sky number? I know that the RAM can handle way more than it is rated for because I hauled over 1500 pounds of wood, my wife, my dogs (thought they don't amount to much weight at about 13 lbs each) and myself for a 40 mile haul on back roads, highway and city streets and it no problem.
Personally If I were planning on towing something 20 feet or longer I would buy a 3/4 ton. Since I only plan to haul trailers rarely I bought a truck that can handle most situations and still go off road if I want to, and can haul butt big time. The 1500 does all these things for me and is incredible with the power that hemi gives.
Ultimately look at what you want to do and but the tool that is right for the job you are going to do with it. In any case the RAM is no slouch in any department.
Sorry about the loooonnngg post but I felt it needed saying

Here is a helpful link.

New Tow Ratings For Entire Ram Trucks Lineup Based On SAE Standard

preachp

All half tons are now rated to that standard. As of 2015 ford joined with the f150, the super duty will comply when they have a redesign. The only reason they are called half tons is because the names haven't changed since the old days when that nomenclature came into existence. If I go by what your saying my 2500 can only haul 1500 pounds in the bed? And a 3500 can only haul 2000 pounds?
Bottom line is ram is going for the crowd that is looking to drive a big car, which is what the 1500 rams are. The others can haul and pull more, but they act and drive more like trucks which to me is good. That is one of the reasons I went to a 2500 is my 1500 payload was 1300 pounds and I didn't want to be constantly over. That and at 600 lbs of payload the truck sat level. And around 1000 pound it was nose up.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I've only ever heard of it in BC. I know a family personally that had to go through a checkstop just inside BC and was turned around. They have some pretty draconian policies there. Here- they check chains and lights. If they are suspicious of weight, they scale you and check tire capacity and maybe axle if you're too close. They don't care about GVWR as long as your registration reflects the correct weight- for example my registration states 15000lbs. If the sum of all my axles was more than 15k, I'd get my pee-pee slapped.

********. I carried an 8 ft. camper on my f 150 and towed my boat for 10 years. max weight was 1140 lbs. I travel the whole province from spring to late fall. never ever once did I see anyone get jacked up by inspections. ive been through fish and game checks at least once every year and not a word about weight.if they were turned around they must have been dangerously over loaded. cvse don't bother with passenger vehicles,only commercial.cops don't care at all. they check chains and snow tires only on mountain passes,because of stupid idiots trying to travel on summer or all season tires in 3 ft. of snow.have you been to bc in the summer? every 2nd vehicle is some type of rv. theres not enough enforcement in the world to check them all.this is fact,not "I know this guy who"

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
********. I carried an 8 ft. camper on my f 150 and towed my boat for 10 years. max weight was 1140 lbs. I've travelled the whole province from spring to late fall. never ever once did I see anyone get jacked up by inspections. ive been through fish and game checks at least once every year and not a word about weight.if they were turned around they must have been dangerously over loaded. cvse don't bother with passenger vehicles,only commercial.cops don't care at all. they check chains and snow tires only on mountain passes,because of stupid idiots trying to travel on summer or all season tires in 3 ft. of snow.have you been to bc in the summer? every 2nd vehicle is some type of rv. theres not enough enforcement in the world to check them all.this is fact,not "I know this guy who"
Call bs all you like. It's not "a guy once told me" story. It's a family we travel with regularly- notice I didn't say weight. He was pulled in because of his configuration (although he was likely overweight quite a bit) pulling a small fishing boat behind his 5er- a configuration that would not get a second glance anywhere else. It's odd that the BC locals never get bothered. I am suspicious of many claims. If RVers were never bothered, why all the uproar online all the time?

FWIW I used to travel BC in the summer regularly until their fuel prices skyrocketed to ridiculous levels. Now it's our annual trip to Fairmont and that's it.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ That's a VERY easy target to single out and pull over. Not surprised.
BC does have tighter regs than anywhere else in Canada,so I comply to them as my standard (we don't have the need for a boat or TOAD behind our camper) for all our towing. If you're ever going to travel there, it just makes sense, but not everyone bothers to check these things. C'est la vie.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

not surprised, BC is basically our version of California. the only way i can see actually getting checked around here is if your load looks really unsafe like bad trailer sway or your bumper is pretty much on the ground

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Then why do they have a 5.7 motor that can pull a whole city, but you cant put a snowblower in the back without the suspension sagging. Kind of a stupid design if u ask me to have a strong motor with a weak suspension. Not to mention they put the 5.7 in the 3/4 tons too! If they beefed up the suspension a little on the half tons, it would probably meet the needs of many more people.

I pulled this a few times this summer and it had no problems till we hit the hills in virginia. Then it was struggling. I sold it cause I knew it was too much for my truck but I got a screaming deal on it. I have one of those tongue weight scales and was shocked! when i saw what it was -1300 pounds (which is my big horns payload). That battery alone in the front was probably almost 200. The trailer weight was 7k dry. So I was over on the tongue hauling it. On the flats , it did great. Now I know what 1300 pounds of tongue weight would feel like on my truck. I had a wdh and bags but it was still squatting like a mother. If I was alone it wasnt bad, but one time I had 4 of us in the truck. The only thing good was having the extra weight in the back (bikes, equipment).

http://www.ramforum.com/attachments...p_suspension_1500-img_20140705_192319_506.jpg

6r80 transmission and leaf springs IMO, Rams are built more for unloaded comfort then for hauling since most don't use trucks for what they're intended

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, Im in the process of either trading/selling my big horn (and losing some $) and getting a HD truck or getting a new toy hauler that has a lot less tongue weight :) That thing had no sleeping area. U would fold the table and put the seat cushions over it. Kids used an air mattress. But, the garage was a monster 8x14! You wont find that in the newer small ones (28ft.)

Problem is the hitch weights on these toy haulers. They make them light weights (like 5 or 6k) but the tongue weigths are too much for the half ton! Like i said in the other post, the 5.7 hemi is a beast. Thats why they put it in the HD trucks too. But, I would get the 6.4 if i was to get a 3/4. Its funny how many people think they are getting a stronger truck (engine wise) when they get a 3/4 with a 5.7 hemi but it has the same engine. Obviously you are getting a better truck, but not much more pulling power unless u change the gearing. I want to be prepared in case i keep the truck a long time (which is what I was planning on doing with the 1/2 ton )and get a bigger toy hauler. I was even thinking 1 ton. Ill never have to worry about payload witht he bigger toy haulers then. Unfortunately, I made a bad decision getting the 1/2 ton and thinking I would only be pulling a small trailer or a boat. Thats me though no thinking and always acting.
The lightest hitch weights I see are around 7-800. Those are dry weights . So, If i was to go this route and keep the truck, i would definitely beef up the suspension a little (springs, shocks, tires). Im only using it on the weekend maybe. We live, we learn! That thing had some funky colors though. I was thinking about getting it wrapped.

That thing was pretty cool though... shame. Got your eyes on another one?