Ram payload vs others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irishguy0224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2010 Ram Quad Cab, 5.7. Last year my wife and i camped 10 times with a new Jayco 16ft Hybrid that's dry weight was 3200lbs. Not even sure what it was full, but we dry camped in the mountains for a week and had to travel with it full for over 5 hours (water in the tanks, coolers, etc) and you would hardly know it was behind the truck even through the mountains! We just upgraded to a 28ft TT with a dry weight of 5000lbs. You notice a difference from one to the other of course, but like others have said, it is a very very capable truck. Much more so than my father in-laws 2014 F150 Eco-boost.

Edit: I have the 3.55 gears in my truck with tow package

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2010 Ram Quad Cab, 5.7. Last year my wife and i camped 10 times with a new Jayco 16ft Hybrid that's dry weight was 3200lbs. Not even sure what it was full, but we dry camped in the mountains for a week and had to travel with it full for over 5 hours (water in the tanks, coolers, etc) and you would hardly know it was behind the truck even through the mountains! We just upgraded to a 28ft TT with a dry weight of 5000lbs. You notice a difference from one to the other of course, but like others have said, it is a very very capable truck. Much more so than my father in-laws 2014 F150 Eco-boost.

Edit: I have the 3.55 gears in my truck with tow package
I find it hard to believe it is much more capable than an ecoboost, getting better mileage towing sure, but for overall towing capabilities it is hard to beat the forced induction low end torque the ecoboost has.

irishguy0224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I find it hard to believe it is much more capable than an ecoboost, getting better mileage towing sure, but for overall towing capabilities it is hard to beat the forced induction low end torque the ecoboost has.

My in law hates the eco-boost when towing. I have met many people that love theirs when we are out camping. But he can't stand it. I am going by what he says. So much so that he is looking into trading it in on a new Ram this spring. He loves the Eco-Boost for daily driving of course though. I can tell you, truck to truck. My ram out performs his specific f150. Not sure what his gearing or anything is though.

OP
OP
M

mbecks21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lets say I am a couple hundred pounds over payload capacity 10 times a year but it handles the trailer fine. Is it really going to damage the truck?

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on what Ford truck you buy your payload could be near 1,000 lbs but most will be near the 1,400 - 1,500 lb mark. Take a walk around the Ford dealer lot and check the stickers.

Ford offers a payload upgrade package as an option and this will get you in the higher numbers, stiffer springs and a seven bolt rear end I believe. Ram does not offer anything like that. If they did, it would ride like a Chevy or Ford and who wants that.

My 2009 Ram has a payload of 1,436 lbs. It all depends on how it is optioned, every pound of an option is a subtraction from payload.

OP
OP
M

mbecks21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess my main question is why does a Ram 1500 have so much less payload cap. than the other big brands? And am I better off going with another brand because of this?

So here is the dirty little secret of the truck manufacturers: The trucks are designed for a certain GVWR which is 6800 or 6900 pounds depending on the model for the RAM 1500. I'm sure Ford and Chevrolet/GMC have similar numbers. Payload is simply the difference between the empty weight plus driver and some fuel I think and then all the options, drive train upgrades etc. eat into that difference. Hence my lowly Tradesman V6 actually has 1500# of payload, while decked out Ecodiesels and Hemis (heavier engines) sometimes end up in the 800# range.

Also note that payload and towing capacity are disconnected in the world of truck marketing. They will tell you you can tow 12000# even if the payload only leaves 150# of tongue weight in real life.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lets say I am a couple hundred pounds over payload capacity 10 times a year but it handles the trailer fine. Is it really going to damage the truck?

no, they are under rated so being a little over is fine in terms of the truck but not so much the law. to help limit the extra weight cargo might add you can also load up the trailer over it's axles or maybe towards the rear a bit. you don't want to be adding too much to the rear tho or you'll have far bigger concerns then payload. also if you're gonna be putting more then a couple hundred pounds on the back i'd really suggest a set of airbags especially if you'll be driving at night

one big reason the Rams have lower payload is the coil springs. other then that the biggest concern is stopping the load and i can tell you once you start getting heavy it can be very hard to stop. i pulled 48k lbs and while i got it moving just fine it was not fun trying to stop it.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another factor is the truth to the trailer tongue (TW)weight. Of all the trailer TW discussions I've seen, VERY, VERY few are as advertised; they are more often heavier than claimed dry which makes them even heavier with a couple 20# tanks of LP, a battery or two and your forward gear in the cargo hold of the trailer.
If you look for a tradesman or less optioned truck you'll gain up to a couple hundred pounds of payload. Add airlift bags or upgraded rear coils to avoid sag and keep the geometry of your WD hitch consistent, and you should be fine for 10 trips a year.
I'm within 100lbs of my max payload. I lowered the truck to the point where we rode on the bumpstops for 7 hrs each way through the Rockies and never had a fright. The trucks are very capable, but they are designed for comfort first.
Now you have a decision to make, and it is yours entirely. We'd rather see you happy, than see you in a RAM.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Crunched some numbers here.

Taking 3 non overweight adults, my dogs, full lp tanks, batteries, and the dry hitch weight gives me 300 pounds left over for gear.

Haven't camped since I was a kid but I dont see bringing 300 pounds of gear with us. Lets assume the TT holding tanks are empty.

What am I missing?

Ever weigh a case of water? Couple cases of beer? 300 lbs adds up really fast.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't think I'd sweat it over a few hundred pounds honestly. The ONLY way to know for sure is to weigh it all ready to camp but by then you're into it and there's no going back :)

Bag it, pack smart, go have fun. Your truck will be fine and it will do fine.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mbecks21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies.

I bought the truck and couldn't be happier. Too good a deal to pass up and we needed a crew cab more than anything.

But Gawd does this thing need a level. I thought my Ford was bad.

Here she is.

Attachments

• 20151113_213928.jpg
    20151113_213928.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 36

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congratulations on the purchase! I have a 2015 Ram with 3.92's and it tows like there's nothing back there. You're going to enjoy it.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
You made a great choice!

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, they tend to strut like a cat looking to get it's ass scratched til you start tinkering with 'em.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD

As mentioned a couple of hundred pounds won't affect the truck any, but it can cause issues with your insurance if you are involved in an accident and someone looks into to max weight limit versus what you were towing. I have heard stories of peoples insurance being voided for exactly what you are talking about. That is the reason I bought the 3500, I spent many years buying trailers I could tow versus a trailer I wanted. Now I pretty much buy what I want in a trailer.

Nice truck by the way I think you'll be happy with it just be careful how close you get to max load.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Thanks for all the replies.

I bought the truck and couldn't be happier. Too good a deal to pass up and we needed a crew cab more than anything.

Here she is.

Congrats! Awesome looking truck.