RAM vs. everyone else....little rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06ironhorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 REBEL
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 16 REBEL came with LED fog lights, and taillights but does have incandescent headlights which was a surprise to me.

Fullmetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When Ram moves production from Warren to Sterling Heights, Michigan that where I bet we'll see major change. Maybe 2018?

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 16 REBEL came with LED fog lights, and taillights but does have incandescent headlights which was a surprise to me.

Little off topic but how you like that rebel? Not sure on the grill. And 18" wheels? How are those fogs you mentioned? I've been looking hard at the torred sport

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ford is killing it right now
My Ram looks the same as a 2011+

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on my first Ram after driving GM's for many years. I'm very happy with the truck compared to what I have had. A few tweaks would make it even better but for the overall base of the truck, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

06ironhorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 REBEL
Engine
hemi 5.7
Love it I have had it a month and already taken it to Big Bend and had no problem on any of the trails I took including Black Gap.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
2018 is supposed to be the next big redesign, so it'll be the 5th gen ram. So that'll be a big change.

They've made changes and added things every other year. Since 2009 they have, updated interior,radio, some exterior changes, added things like 8 speed,eco diesel,pentastar, auto wipers, more advanced HVAC systems, LED tai lights, LED front turn signals, major update to the electrical architecture, new rear diff,t-case,front diff, the list goes on.

Just because some of you weren't aware of the changes or they weren't standard across all trims, doesn't mean they haven't changed anything. I'd still rather have a Ram then a GM or Ford. It takes a lot of time and money to make big changes, be patient.

Last edited:

Mickinohio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Coming from a long time Ford owner , I'd have to say I'm happier than a fat kid in a candy store and I don't pick my new ram up until later this week.

Ford better idea ? Jack up prices , ruin service . Imo. I've replaced front springs , starter , power steering unit and lines , a.c. unit , dash cluster , various corroded parts , gremlins like door ajar light that won't be fixed , wipers that turn on by them selves , won't start , acts like a dead battery , 5 minutes later starts right up. Dealerships ( yes , multiple ) are unable to find the causes . Not for lack of trying . 1995 explorer , 1995 mustang gt , 1997 expedition , 1999 , expedition 2002 windstar , 2002 & 2004 explorer , 2006 F150 , 2012 Edge . I'm done with Ford. Then again , maybe it's just me ? :)

Always stuck by them because family was.employed by them . Discounts ? Nothing to write home about . Now on this 2016 Ram CC , 6.4 bed , Hemi , 4x4 , SLT , I'm out the door at 30K , with crazy end of year discounts Ford and gm couldnt/wouldn't touch .

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My pappy always said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

By the way, I like my light bulbs. When I pop one, Autozone is 2 minutes from my house, and I am back up and running. Not sure why everyone wants all that HID/LED crap... sure they look cool, but I continue to see brand new vehicles with single LEDs already burned out... especially those cheap Chevys...

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it ain't broke don't fix it but I see what you are saying and I think Ram has been keeping their price low while everyone is jacking their's up. Example: The express is a killer value as no other manufacture has a painted bumper's v8 package for the Ram price this is what put me in the Ram. I have owned all truck brands as I am in the motorcycle racing business and use my truck every day and bang for the buck Ram can NOT be beat. I also enjoy customizing and only ram lets us do that all others everything is integrated and harder to work on our selves and or modify, plus this leaves the aftermarket pumping cool mods for us.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although I don't drive a Sport (too fancy inside for the abuse I put interiors through) I'm going to have to say that stock for stock, they're the only trim level that looks better than the new F150 and Sierra ---- on the front end. Neither of those has the big mean hood and vents (even if they are phony) or the Sport's one-piece bumper facia.

Having said that!...

... It's the aftermarket customization where RAM pulls way ahead of the others, regardless of trim level. People have made equally badass looking RAM's out of both painted and chrome packages that look better than the F150's or Sierras do once modded up IMO.

The reason for this is the base we have to work with. the F150 and Sierra don't have our big bold induction looking hood to play with as a starter base. All you really have to do is slap a custom grille or grille inserts on any RAM and presto, instantly looks better than the other brands. The only caveat is that you kinda have to prefer a muscle car style retro throwback over the modern looking designs that Ford and GM are doing now.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although I don't drive a Sport (too fancy inside for the abuse I put interiors through) I'm going to have to say that stock for stock, they're the only trim level that looks better than the new F150 and Sierra ---- on the front end. Neither of those has the big mean hood and vents (even if they are phony) or the Sport's one-piece bumper facia.

...The only caveat is that you kinda have to prefer a muscle car style retro throwback over the modern looking designs that Ford and GM are doing now.

Thats an opinion not shared by most, but a valid personal preference. Personally I don't like the look of the RAM front end but the rest of the truck is pretty good. The new Fords and Cheby's I see on the street are ugly in comparison, although for a car they may be nice. We don't want Fiat messing with the RAM, adding oddball styling as they have done with Jeeps and Dodges.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I like the "look" of the Ford better. But to be honest, how it looks just doesn't matter that much to me. Other than it being clean.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ford might be ahead of the game when it comes to high tech options, but they also have a whole lot of reliability problems with those features.
Personally, I'm happy that the Ram brand doesn't jump on the bandwagon with some of this stuff.

Though, I do wish they'd made power folding tow mirrors on the Ram. It's irritating to park next to an F-250 and watch the other guy fold in his mirrors from the comfort of his cab, while I have to get out and walk around like a chump! Haha!

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey'd made power folding tow mirrors on the Ram. It's irritating to park next to an F-250 and watch the other guy fold in his mirrors from the comfort of his cab, while I have to get out and walk around like a chump! Haha!

Do they offer two or more types of tow mirrors? Mine has a power fold feature. Scares the heck out of the passenger if you are late with unfolding them as they automatically fold out above a certain mph. :)

Last edited:

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all the manufactures trying to comply with MPG regs they keep making these trucks lighter and more girly. I dont like the F 150 or Silverado , both are too low and futuristic looking. I wish they would listen to what truck owners want. Another issue is the coil spring rear suspension, while super comfy it's not what you want for towing . If I give my 11 1500 to my son I'll be buying a 3/4 ton for sure , diesel is a possibility but, now they're (govt) are f'in with those too !!!! Love to get a hold of a 93 2500 cummins , don't need all the bells or whistles.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
With all the manufactures trying to comply with MPG regs they keep making these trucks lighter and more girly. I dont like the F 150 or Silverado , both are too low and futuristic looking. I wish they would listen to what truck owners want. Another issue is the coil spring rear suspension, while super comfy it's not what you want for towing . If I give my 11 1500 to my son I'll be buying a 3/4 ton for sure , diesel is a possibility but, now they're (govt) are f'in with those too !!!! Love to get a hold of a 93 2500 cummins , don't need all the bells or whistles.

The 2500 have coils now too in the 4th gens. I thought I heard the 2017 MY 3500 would have them too but I was mistaken...

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The HD line also got higher strength frames and the 2500 coil springs. Other things like Aisin and 6.4l.

Ford SD seemed the same for over a decade with some refreshes and updates.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
"Lighter and more girly", the only reason manufacturers are trying to bring weight down is because of how weight has crept up in half tons over the last decade. My '98 2wd GMC 1500 ext cab with a 350 V8 came out with a curb weight just shy of 4200 pounds. My '15 Ram with the small 3.6 weighs in above 4900 and is one of the lightest Rams out there. Throw in a Hemi or the Ecodiesel and they're well into the 5300-6000lb range.

Old trucks of a similar classification were lighter, plain and simple.