Random lights and codes. Electrical issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zinnmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2009 Ram 1500 4.7 2wd. This is my nieces truck. So I don't drive it but I only see it when there is an issue.
I replaced the heater core and AC core back in May 2023. In July she called me and said her AC wouldn't turn on. The controls were not working. Then she said her dome light was on but very dim. So I tell her to bring it to me so I can look at it. She calls me the next day and they are working. No issues. Then I get a call same day saying her ESP/ABS light came on. And her AC controls come and go. Just completely random. Then her engine light came on.
I got the truck a few days later and I scanned it with alpha obd. The engine codes were a temp sensor implausible data. Which I noticed the temp gauge was on zero. And the heated mirrors were shorted or opened circuit. So I disconnected the heated mirrors thinking there was a short and causing the electrical issues. The ESP/ABS light went out and has not come back since. The temp sensor comes and goes so I believe that might just be a failing sensor.
However I just got the truck back today because the AC control still comes and goes randomly. And now the electronic throttle control light comes and goes also. She has not said the truck runs poorly or anything like that when the light is on. I currently have the truck and the light is not on and the AC is currently working. When I scanned the truck there is only the temp sensor code and codes for the headlights being open or short circuit. But the headlights work. I can even control them through alphaobd. Battery holds a good charge at 12.4 volts and the alternator is charging at 14.4 volts. So I don't believe it's an under voltage issue.
I am worried that the TIPM is acting funny and causing these issues. But that's not a part I can throw at the truck and hope it fixes it. Anyone have a good diagnosis opinion or can point me in the right direction? I'm going to keep the truck as long as possible. ( maybe a few days if I can) I want the AC to fail so I can see if it's the controller or something else.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not sure what ground wires might be in or around the area of the previous repairs, but something to check, as well as for pinched harnesses, or a connector not seated fully.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was thinking grounding issues too. When you see LED lights weak, that usually indicates it's not getting *quite* enough power it needs. And the grounds are the return path back to the battery.

Check battery to body grounds, Batt connections, Engine to Body ground, ..and other major ground points (above front tire, near fuel filler). Look under the dash in case there are grounds not secured there as well. They might have forgot one, or attached it to a plastic part. Also, consider removing & wiggling the HVAV controller wire connector. There's videos that show how. It's pretty easy to remove. Make sure none of the hvac controller wires are pinched. Wiggle fuses under the hood.

There are grounds all over modern vehicles which illustrates the importance of good, clean electrical.

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
Might sound crazy but just by chance if someone removed coolant thermostat from the motor will cause all kinds of crap to go loony

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357