Rattling Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab. I have a metallic rattle that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I noticed it years ago, but it only happened when I climbed steep switchbacks out of a gorge. Always on the right turn up the hill. It now is more frequent. Typically at lower speeds (15-25), when I'm coasting or slowing down. I have done visual inspections, checked for anything loose. Running boards are tight. I even changed the rear brake pads to make sure the clips weren't loose. Truck drives fine. Anyone else had something like this? Thanks in advance. Ray

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hey folks, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab. I have a metallic rattle that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I noticed it years ago, but it only happened when I climbed steep switchbacks out of a gorge. Always on the right turn up the hill. It now is more frequent. Typically at lower speeds (15-25), when I'm coasting or slowing down. I have done visual inspections, checked for anything loose. Running boards are tight. I even changed the rear brake pads to make sure the clips weren't loose. Truck drives fine. Anyone else had something like this? Thanks in advance. Ray
Ok, now don't laugh at a few of my suggestions. I'm just wanting to help.

Rear seatbelt buckles are not up high hitting the side.
Ck exhaust underneath, anything loose, clamps, pipes, etc.
All doors close and are snug.
If you have a hitch, check if I is loose in the receiver.
Shocks, rear and front
Front end, tie rods, both rear and front sway bar.
Double check all brakes.
Then we would run to wheel bearings. Does the rattle go away or get louder the faster you go.
All wheels and tires are balanced and torqued properly.

Not sure just yet, I'll update as I think of other things. I know, get up off the floor after laughing at my suggestions... It's cool.

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's 2wd. Thanks for all these suggestions, not laughing in the slightest as I am at my wits end. I'll have to go check a few of these in a little bit. I know it's not the seatbelt, doors, or brakes. It goes away, the faster I go and it's not all the time.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the hood adjustments, screw them out a little. I had the exact same "clunk" if you will a couple years ago. Only happened at low speeds especially noticeable turning off the highway into my driveway. Sounded like it was coming from the front right wheel well area. Turns out it was my hood moving up and down ever so slightly. Check it out its a cheap fix and only takes a minute to check.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It goes away, the faster I go and it's not all the time.[/QUOTE]

So, one could describe it as a "slow" rattle? ;)

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha! I'll check the hood, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the back. I double checked yesterday afternoon and the only suspect thing I could find was the running board. The passenger side one is not nearly as solid as the driver side even when I completely tighten it. I'm wondering if it is those brackets that slip over the hole and the screw goes into need replacing. It's coming off today for a test drive.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The more I think about it, it sounds a little like the old "stone behind the hubcap". Pull your wheel and check behind it? Back when I was growing up, it was a well known prank to drop a couple pieces of gravel in behind someone's hub caps in the high school parking lot. Is there a chance someone has popped your center cap, dropped a couple pieces of gravel in, and put the cap back in????

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Wheel (hub) bearings... They'll make noise at slower speeds, tend to quiet down the faster you go. Too sometimes make a clunking or grinding sound when turning - esp in the direction of the bad bearing. Fairly easy to replace, though can be a *****. I could walk you though the repair.

I'd too check all your door hinges and latches. My suburban's doors were very heavy. Every few years I'd have to replace the hinges and latches. The doors would sag just a bit. I doubt this is your problem. I just wanted too keep coming up with possibilities.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, one could describe it as a "slow" rattle? ;)
Wheel (hub) bearings... They'll make noise at slower speeds, tend to quiet down the faster you go. Too sometimes make a clunking or grinding sound when turning - esp in the direction of the bad bearing. Fairly easy to replace, though can be a *****. I could walk you though the repair.

I'd too check all your door hinges and latches. My suburban's doors were very heavy. Every few years I'd have to replace the hinges and latches. The doors would sag just a bit. I doubt this is your problem. I just wanted too keep coming up with possibilities.[/QUOTE]

The prank idea provoked a very old memory: I was an automatic transmission tech at a large Pontiac/GMC/Honda dealer back in the day. In those days, all 3 brands were serviced in the same facility and we had a common (and very huge) shop. I worked a couple of stalls over from a young grasshopper Honda apprentice who had recently completed the supervised aspect of apprenticeship and was going solo on a Honda Accord head gasket replacement. In those days, there were dozens of vacuum hoses, and one neede to be very diligent about reinstalling them after performing service repairs lest there be a problem. To aid one, there was a vacuum diagram under the hood that resembled a map of a city, there were SO many hoses!

We had a couple of used car techs who were jolly pranksters. Seeing that this young apprentice was finishing up on the complex repair on this Accord, one of the 2 used car techs took one of those rings you used to get in a Cracker Jack boxes as a prize that made a "Wheee" noise when blown into, and affixed it into the tailpipe with some of that thick A/C insulation tape while this young man wasn't looking.

Young man starts the car, and it runs super smooth... and quiet... until he revved it up... and heard a loud/high pitched shrill "WHEEEEEEEEEEE" whereupon he quickly shut off the car. He opens the hood and commences to start reading the vacuum hose legend and double check all his connections. Satisfied that he'd don everything under the hood well, he treks off after the shop foreman for a little tech help.... but the used car tech removed the ring while he was gone. After the Apprentice and the shop foreman run the engine and leave for a test drive, they return and are satisfied that the car is fixed, and the youngster can turn in the old parts (warranty required this). So, he bags up his parts and goes to wash his hands and complete the warranty paperwork so he can park the car in the lot.... but the used car tech puts the ring back in the tail pipe!!!

Sure enough, young Apprentice returns and starts the car and "WHEEEEEEEEE" !!!!! The youngster jumps out and is throwing a fit! That's when the used car dude walked up and let the fella know he'd been pranked! It was all good afterwards... Young apprentice was relieved that it wasn't an issue or oversight on his part!

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has had a metal rattle since I got it at higher RPM's. Probably have to get into 5k or so and it sounds like tin rattling. I think it might be a heat shield rattling from the shaking of engine at high RPM. I've never found it or stopped it.

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does sound like a heat shield. I took the running board off and that seemed to make it better but it is still happening, so maybe I am in the right area.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does sound like a heat shield. I took the running board off and that seemed to make it better but it is still happening, so maybe I am in the right area.

I saw a cartoon where a guy had completely disassembled a car in search of a rattle, and was telling the customer that he finally found the marble in the ash tray!

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No stones in the wheel hub. Tailgate seemed solid. All the supports for the muffler/exhaust seem solid. I pushed some of the heat shields around. Still have this rattle. This is going to drive me nuts!

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
No stones in the wheel hub. Tailgate seemed solid. All the supports for the muffler/exhaust seem solid. I pushed some of the heat shields around. Still have this rattle. This is going to drive me nuts!
The bearings in the hub could still be bad. You can Google, seeing what others do to check them.

You might start taking door panels off. We've heard the joke where auto manf leaving stuff in the doors - on purpose or by mistake.

Where are you located?