Re-learn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi. Is it safe to do a re-learn with a HF custom tune installed? I'm having some trans issues after installing a SharaDon stage 3 VB with a Edge 3000 stall TC. Do I have to install the original stock tune before having a re-learn done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I unplugged my battery for a couple hours today while putting in new spark plugs. I have the HF 93 tune. Could actually tell a noticeable difference in throttle response when I drove it afterwards. My wife was with me so I know it wasn't my old feeble mind playing tricks on me lol. My old plugs weren't too bad, so I wouldn't think the new ones woulda made a difference, but it's possible it was them and not the battery disconnect. But anyways, to answer your question, you do not have to uninstall the tune to reset your truck.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Only way to get a Transmission TCM quick learn is with a dealership flash (wiTech)
or a transmission shop with a Snap on/Solus Pro

It doesn't effect the engine tune,
just resets the trans shifting adaptives to zero so it adapts faster.

Highly recommended for trans swaps where frictions and steels, valve bodies have been replaced with non stock components.

Torque Converter doesnt really benefit from a quick learn, its plug and play.
It's primarily for shift pressure adjustments

Last edited:

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck felt a whole lot more responsive after unplugging my battery...I don't normally "drive it like I stole it" everyday but it was like someone woke my truck up until it got used to me again

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Yes it's safe to do a relearn with a custom tune and highly recommended with a VB swap as your shift pattern is different. You WANT firm and fast shifts and up until now the trans has learned slow, lazy, and comfortable shift patterns.

And no, unplugging the battery doesn't do anything to the trans range set points, it only affects the adaptive controls for the engine.

OP
OP
newtothegame

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone! Gonna book a appointment tomorrow with the local dealer for a relearn and hopefully it solves the issues I've been having.... Harsh up shifts and 1st to 2nd gear, low speed low rpm shifts causing a shudder. Will update the end results.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Dont expect to see too much difference,
The Sharadon stage 3 has hard shifts by design

the Stage - III Valve body had been reworked to increase shifting firmness over the Stage - II and FIRM SOLID/HARSH shifts in every gear.

OP
OP
newtothegame

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dont expect to see too much difference,

The Sharadon stage 3 has hard shifts by design

Yes very true! And I don't mind the hard/harsh fast shifts at all, it's what I wanted trust me! but it's just once in a while, not all the time, it feels like you've just got rear ended. Is that normal?

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes very true! And I don't mind the hard/harsh fast shifts at all, it's what I wanted trust me! but it's just once in a while, not all the time, it feels like you've just got rear ended. Is that normal?

No idea,
I chose the "build the whole trans and tune it" route.

I know the stock frictions are the weakest link,
wanted that addressed first, then higher line pressure to hold them
pump and valve body mods next, then proper tuning to control it all to work in harmony.

Maybe its just me,
but putting a harder shift on an already weak clutch sounds risky.
I could be wrong so it's just my opinion based on what I do know.

OP
OP
newtothegame

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, eventually that's the route I wanna go with. A built trans through Mike @ L&M Customs plus the tuning should be a safe way to go. How's your trans holding up these days?

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Truck has been parked for the Winter since October,
finally took it out of storage last weekend and pulled the trans out to replace the OD frictions.

mgh1_zpsa41c5e16.jpg

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt

I've gone through the same issues as you in my 05.
The shudder was the converter for me.
A quick learn might work. Might not.

OP
OP
newtothegame

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've gone through the same issues as you in my 05.

The shudder was the converter for me.

A quick learn might work. Might not.

We're you running the stock converter? Or an aftermarket one when you were experiencing the shuddering?

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is that's your built one through Mike?

Yup!

I had to install his trans in September because I fried my stock trans frictions.
But I didn't have his tuning yet and couldn't wait any longer, we both thought it would be okay for a while, we were wrong.

He was having scheduling conflicts with Josh at HHP to add his trans tune to my Ripp engine tune.
Ripp was getting pissy with him and would not unlock my Ripp tune without a ****load of legal paper work being signed to keep the lawyers happy.

...in the meantime, two weeks later I got the dreaded incorrect ratio code for 4th gear, OD frictions toast!
I did not have the correct line pressure the valve body and pump were beefed up for because they needed the "tune" to control pressures.

:greenchainsaw:

Mike picked up the tab on the parts and said he could walk me though the replacement procedure
rather then sending the trans 1000 miles both directions.

He also sent me a complete set of stock (almost like new) frictions out of one of his cores
(also no charge) so I could rebuild my stocker too.
did that one two weeks ago as a practice run and all went perfect.

pic's here: http://www.ramforum.com/f38/what_did_you_do_your_4th_gen_week-34480/index95.html#post756510

Next weekend new frictions and OD shaft/drum go back in, then back into the truck
Hopefully my JBA Long Tube flanges will arrive so they can be installed at the same time
(JBA forgot to add the 3 bolt collector flange/reducers in the box, just had bolts and gaskets)

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/jba_long_tube_headers-46093/

Last edited:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
So should I buy a toasted 4th gen, gut it and start my own build? You do got a build list you could shoot me?

OP
OP
newtothegame

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup!

I had to install his trans in September because I fried my stock trans frictions.
But I didn't have his tuning yet and couldn't wait any longer, we both thought it would be okay for a while, we were wrong.

He was having shceduling conflicts with Josh at HHP to add his trans tune to my Ripp engine tune.
Ripp was getting pissy with him and would not unlock my Ripp tune without a ****load of legal paper work being signed to keep the lawyers happy.

...in the meantime, two weeks later I got the dreaded incorrect ratio code for 4th gear, OD frictions toast!
I did not have the correct line pressure the valve body and pump were beefed up for because they needed the "tune" to control pressures.

:greenchainsaw:

Mike picked up the tab on the parts and said he could walk me though the replacement procedure
rather then sending the trans 1000 miles both directions.

He also sent me a complete set of stock (almost like new) frictions out of one of his cores
(also no charge) so I could rebuild my stocker too.
did that one two weeks ago as a practice run and all went perfect.

pic's here: http://www.ramforum.com/f38/what_did_you_do_your_4th_gen_week-34480/index95.html#post756510

Next weekend new frictions and OD shaft/drum go back in, then back into the truck
Hopefully my JBA Long Tube flanges will arrive so they can be installed at the same time
(JBA forgot to add the 3 bolt collector flange/reducers in the box, just had bolts and gaskets)

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/jba_long_tube_headers-46093/

Man that so unfortunate that you had to go through that. My jaw dropped while I was reading your post... I'm F'in speechless!! Please tell me that all the legal BS has been resolved and now you'll get your trans tune emerged with you Ripp tune?

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So should I buy a toasted 4th gen, gut it and start my own build? You do got a build list you could shoot me?

Not quite that simple,
The "built" transmission has a modified pump and valve body too,
Plus several drum housings and backing plates machined out to make room for additional clutch discs,
The clutch packs have the stock steels replaced with 68RFE Diesel transmission single sided frictions (about 20 over stock)

but as I found out, even after all that, if You dont use Mikes custom trans tuning to match the build, you can still burn it up within a few weeks.

My stock trans lasted 2 months under boost,
Custom built trans only two weeks without Mike's custom tune to control it.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Man that so unfortunate that you had to go through that. My jaw dropped while I was reading your post... I'm F'in speechless!! Please tell me that all the legal BS has been resolved and now you'll get your trans tune emerged with you Ripp tune?

Yes I finally got my tune about a week after I roasted the trans. go figure
I could have got it all fixed and up and running last year, but the snow was coming and I thought I would stop winter driving my Ram. that way it will last for Years!

...if I chose to drive it, it would have also needed a new set of Grapplers ($1800)

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Man, so you have to buy a built trans, and then pay for a tune to run it ? Is that something I can load into my DS with my Hemifever?
I've got access to CNC or manual machines to do anything I want to a housing.