Rear axle problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been noticing a ratcheting noise from the rear end when turning, only audible with the windows down. This was concerning, since I have a stock rear end with the OEM LSD. Also, since I just got my 3.92 gears and planned to install them today...

So I popped the cover to inspect and found this

http://imgur.com/gallery/uo52ckB

One of the spider gears cracked a tooth. Rotating the spiders by hand produces an audible click as the chipped tooth meshes with the side gears.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Unless that is a easy fix to complete with your gear swap, I would button that back up, refill the oil and take in for warranty repair to get that fixed if you still have warranty left. Just tell them you were doing an oil change and noticed it.

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless that is a easy fix to complete with your gear swap, I would button that back up, refill the oil and take in for warranty repair to get that fixed if you still have warranty left. Just tell them you were doing an oil change and noticed it.

Labor wouldn't be a problem, but the parts would be expensive. That is almost exactly what I did. I took a picture, and showed the advisor at dodge. He's going to get with shop foreman to order parts, then once they have parts I will bring it in for the repair. This dealer doesn't do rentals or loaners, so I need to minimize downtime since my other vehicle doesn't have AC lol.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
On the large image you posted, looks like the tooth to the right of the broken one has a hair line crack in same arch shape as the broken one.

Are the going to replace both spider gears or just the broke one?

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I understand, depending on parts availability, they will either replace the entire LSD carrier with an entirely new unit, or they will replace all the spiders and side gears and clutches with a kit. The advisor I spoke with said that it varies by axle, and he's not sure which it will be. They have mostly lube techs there on Saturday so there was nobody he could ask.

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update.

Had to bypass the original advisor and go a different route to get it done without a week of downtime. One of my advisor friends used to work at dodge and he knows all the techs. So we ventured over there, got them to open an RO, got their tech that does all the axle work to order my parts without the truck being there.

He is not taking any chances and is going to do a full rebuild. New ring and pinion, new entire LSD carrier, bearings, etc. My advisor friend is pretty sure I can throw him 40 bucks and he will just install my 3.92s when he puts the new carrier in. Either way, it's going in next week. Drop off on my way in to work, walk next door to work, truck will be ready by the time I leave

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no substitute for a good friendship and relationship with a dealership and the guys in the service department. Glad things are going well with your repair.
Jay

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's that kind of treatment that will bring a customer back. Happy to hear they are doing a full swap.

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the gears and rear end done yesterday, they got it done the same day like they promised. They replaced all bearings, entire LSD carrier, and installed my 3.92 ring and pinion set.

The truck feels lighter, and the engine braking is more intense now. I can't really say how much it has changed acceleration since I'm not supposed to romp on it til the break in period of 500 miles is over. Soon.

Handyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who says there's no such thing as a happy ending?

What gears did you have before, 3.21?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk