Rear Brake lights on even tho ignition is off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trooper1954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,
Problem began when I changed a 20 amp fuse that had blown for the rear passenger power point.
After replacing it, I now have no brake lights/overhead brake light while truck is running, and when the truck is parked and the ignition turned off, the brake lights remain on as tho on a time delay for about 5 minutes. The brake lights do not work when I brake...they are constantly on.I'm tempted to think that while I was checking the fuses (I only checked the 20amp ones) I may have returned one to the wrong slot?? I checked that and it doesn't change anything.....I'm going to disconnect the battery for awhile and see if this makes a difference. I have already checked all fuses and bulbs, and disconnected the battery for 5 minutes...bulbs were all good, and I've also installed a new brake switch to no avail.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Thank you.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like a broken wire in one of the harnesses going to ground. If you accidentally put a bigger fuse into the problem circuit you could have melted wiring compounding the problem. I'd start by checking areas you have done work on the truck in case you pinched something and maybe set a couple mouse traps in case a rodent did some chewing.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello Trooper1954, I have a 2008 Ram 2500 having the same issue for about 2months, the brake lights stay on continuously. I have replaced the brake switch, the TIPM, had a dealer flash the TIPM only to find a blown fuse #26. It keeps blowing. Talking a Dodge certified mechanic, he tells me "I have a wiring issue somewhere". I now have to track down my wiring issue to see if a wire is frayed or touching ground somewhere. Please let me know if you located your problem as it may help me locate mine.