Rear Cargo light covert to "rear fog light" ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdirondackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, just a quick question about the 2 clear cargo lights in the ram 1500 on each side of 3rd brake light.. Would it be possible to put 2 red LEDs in there so they would ultimately work like rear fogs.. I live in USA, but I've always loved rear fogs and also I think it would be very beneficial in fog, lol! Has anyone done this? Would anyone know how to go about this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I think it would give people behind you the false impression that your brake lights were applied, don't you? They would think that until the first time you actually pressed the brake pedal and showed them the actual brake lights.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
don't see why you couldn't but i'd probably go with something different then red due to the above post. depending on laws you might also have to avoid blue but you should be able to use any other color

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
don't see why you couldn't but i'd probably go with something different then red due to the above post. depending on laws you might also have to avoid blue but you should be able to use any other color
You might have to avoid any colors other than red and orange. Since you don't drive an emergency vehicle you can't run other colors can you?

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might have to avoid any colors other than red and orange. Since you don't drive an emergency vehicle you can't run other colors can you?

most laws i know of say you can't have flashing red, white or blue. i think you'd get away with having solid red since tail lights already do that but solid blue could get you into hot water. i'm not sure what all colors are used but i know tow trucks usually use yellow along with most construction vehicles. most snow plows i see are either blue or yellow and volunteer fire trucks are usually blue. i'm not sure if yellow is restricted since they aren't actually used on emergency vehicles and yellow really just means to use caution

it's worth noting i see tons of people with LEDs under their vehicles of all colors so it's entirely possible the only restriction is they can't be flashing

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
most laws i know of say you can't have flashing red, white or blue. i think you'd get away with having solid red since tail lights already do that but solid blue could get you into hot water. i'm not sure what all colors are used but i know tow trucks usually use yellow along with most construction vehicles. most snow plows i see are either blue or yellow and volunteer fire trucks are usually blue. i'm not sure if yellow is restricted since they aren't actually used on emergency vehicles and yellow really just means to use caution

it's worth noting i see tons of people with LEDs under their vehicles of all colors so it's entirely possible the only restriction is they can't be flashing

The restriction on underbody lights in MO is that they can't reflect with glare off the road from a distance of 75 ft. So I'm guessing that unless it's raining they are fine.
Lights to the rear can't be white unless you are traveling backwards or lighting the liscense plate.
The state code on vehicle lights is much larger than I thought it would be. I looked it up online, It's larger than the concealed carry law...

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
Our Chrysler 300 has rear fogs that are red LEDs below the brake lights. They are more or less a sliver. Not sure if they would work, but in true fog conditions, I would turn them on.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The state code on vehicle lights is much larger than I thought it would be. I looked it up online, It's larger than the concealed carry law...

yeah it's pretty big in my province too. just started reading through and apparently you're only allowed to have 4 white lights facing forward so that would make a lot of light bars illegal but i'm guessing that's something not enforced much. also apparently it's only required to have a single tail light which is odd since i've been pulled over and warned a few times due to a tail light being out

"Lights are prohibited or restricted based on their combination and/or the direction they are visible from. Flashing red lights, visible from any direction on a vehicle, are restricted to law enforcement vehicles only. This restriction does not include four way flashers or tapping the brake pedal to produce an on and off effect with the brake lights. In addition to this, red lights and red and blue combinations of lights to the front are also restricted to law enforcement vehicles. Flashing blue lights are restricted to police vehicles and snow removal vehicles, but only while they are actually engaged in the removal of snow (or de-icing, etc). Flashing green lights are restricted to volunteer fire fighters."

funny those volunteer fire fighter lights always looked blue to me, will need to take a closer look next time i see 1

"The Highway Traffic Act says nothing specific about under carriage neon lighting, nor about any other specific colours than those mentioned above, so, as long as they conform to the above specifications, they should, in theory, be permitted. One thing to be aware of with respect to under carriage lighting is that a red light may cast a glow around the vehicle that is visible from the front of the vehicle, even though the light is not specifically positioned on the front of the vehicle."

Last edited: