Water In Tray Under Rear Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
No, I know what's going on. It's condensation, plain and simple. I only said I have carried jugs of coolant behind the seats of every truck/vehicle I've owned and never even heard of this happening before. That's all.
I think what you are seeing is the result of saturation of your mixture of concentrate VS water
Coolant is used to manage the temperature of water and if you have been mixing the coolant the exactly same , the variable would be either the concentration of the coolant you purchased or the percentage % of dissolved solids in the water you used.
IMG_0281.png
Specific gravity chart

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I feel the question we should be asking is what is the reasoning for needing an accessible jug of coolant 24/7 in a new truck?
All my life I have carried extra coolant in my vehicles. New or not, should a small leak occur and I don't catch it until it's down a quart I have the coolant to refill it until I can get it to a mechanic. It's happened before and the odds are it will happen again. Of course, there is nothing I can do if a blow a hose and lose it all, but I can't carry enough to cover that contingency anyway.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think what you are seeing is the result of saturation of your mixture of concentrate VS water
Coolant is used to manage the temperature of water and if you have been mixing the coolant the exactly same , the variable would be either the concentration of the coolant you purchased or the percentage % of dissolved solids in the water you used.
View attachment 537929
Specific gravity chart
I understand what you're saying, and it makes a bit of sense, but the purple MOPAR coolant isn't ethylene glycol. Also, there are no dissolved solids as I used distilled water.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I understand what you're saying, and it makes a bit of sense, but the purple MOPAR coolant isn't ethylene glycol. Also, there are no dissolved solids as I used distilled water.
Ok the previous chart was to give the idea of the concentrations and not an accurate unit of measurement of all coolants but the point is specific gravity is a way to measure the coolant you buy against what you’re actually getting

The surface area of the plastic jug is the transfer point for the difference in temperature between the ambient air and the liquid inside .

Because there are different formulations for similar types of plastics can the jug you use be less of an insulator than jugs you used in the past ?

Below is another chart from a PDF for others to see what types of coolants have been used in the recent past from different manufacturers for their vehicles specifications.
IMG_3097.jpeg
IMG_3098.jpeg

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here's my point again. The jug was condensing water out of the air in the cab of my truck. I ascertained that this was the cause of the water in my tray, and not a window leak. I have never heard of that happening before, and I have carried coolant behind my seat for decades. I removed the jug and set it in my garage until I could figure out how to fix the issue and in the 10 days it has been sitting there it hasn't condensed one drop of water from the air. I just find that rather odd.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Here's my point again. The jug was condensing water out of the air in the cab of my truck. I ascertained that this was the cause of the water in my tray, and not a window leak. I have never heard of that happening before, and I have carried coolant behind my seat for decades. I removed the jug and set it in my garage until I could figure out how to fix the issue and in the 10 days it has been sitting there it hasn't condensed one drop of water from the air. I just find that rather odd.

It’s ironic that after mentioning ethylene glycol wasn’t in your coolant I was researching plastic formulations and discovered that ethylene glycol is used in many formulations of plastic as well as desiccants and other drying agents

I was thinking if your container was insulated you wouldn’t have condensation on the outside but that would be like a thermos but then I remembered companies like Roto Pax manufacture plastic jugs that are specially formulated plastics that don't sweat.

RotopaX RX-1W Water Pack - 1 Gallon Capacity
https://a.co/d/djOgISJ

Maybe the air inside your truck had a little more humidity in it than in the past and or just this time you noticed it ?

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe you just never noticed condensation on previous jugs in previous trucks?
I thought of that, but you would think that in 35 years of truck ownership and all of them with a jug of coolant behind the seat I would have stumbled upon that at least a few times.

No big deal. I only posted this in case anyone else happened to find water under their coolant container and thought maybe they had a leak but couldn't find it.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
This is easy to prove. Timelapse a camera of the jug in your truck and we can all watch the magic happen!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat