rear end of 3.7L vs 4.8L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L

Are the rear end (axle, differential, leaf spring) interchangeable between a 3.7L and a 4.8L?

Also what is the difference in the rear of a 4x2 and a 4x4?

I'm buying a complete rear end off of a 3.7L and would like to know if I can use it on my 4x4 4.8L Ram 1500

Thanks in advance

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at how the spring is sitting on the axle, on many trucks (I don't know for sure on your year) on a 2WD the spring will be on the bottom of the axle and on a 4WD the spring will mount on the top of the axle.

If the axles are from the same model and generation and the springs mount the same, they should interchange.
If a 4WD they will need to be the same axle ratio also, unless you change the front.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Are the rear end (axle, differential, leaf spring) interchangeable between a 3.7L and a 4.8L?

I'm buying a complete rear end off of a 3.7L and would like to know if I can use it on my 4x4 4.8L Ram 1500

Thanks in advance

No such thing as a 4.8l in a Ram.
However all 3rd gen 1500's (except SRT-10) have the same 9¼ rear axle. Just make sure the ratio matches the front.

Look at how the spring is sitting on the axle, on many trucks (I don't know for sure on your year) on a 2WD the spring will be on the bottom of the axle and on a 4WD the spring will mount on the top of the axle.

If the axles are from the same model and generation and the springs mount the same, they should interchange.
If a 4WD they will need to be the same axle ratio also, unless you change the front.

I cannot emphasize how amazingly wrong this is...ALL, and I mean ALL 3rd gen Rams (except 04-06 reg cab SRT-10's & that's because they're lowered from the factory) regardless of 2wd or 4wd mount the springs on top of the axle from the factory. Generally lowered trucks (i.e. flip kits) and leaf spring cars have them undersprung. Here's a prime example of a 2wd, oh look where the springs are...........................

DSC00961.JPG DSC01386.JPG DSC01387.JPG

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No such thing as a 4.8l in a Ram.
However all 3rd gen 1500's (except SRT-10) have the same 9¼ rear axle. Just make sure the ratio matches the front.

I cannot emphasize how amazingly wrong this is...ALL, and I mean ALL 3rd gen Rams (except 04-06 reg cab SRT-10's & that's because they're lowered from the factory) regardless of 2wd or 4wd mount the springs on top of the axle from the factory. Generally lowered trucks (i.e. flip kits) and leaf spring cars have them undersprung. Here's a prime example of a 2wd, oh look where the springs are...........................

View attachment 186351 View attachment 186352 View attachment 186353

Yep, pretty sure what I wrote was spot on, nothing incorrect with either statement.
It's all in the reading comprehension.
I even said I didn't know on his year Ram, but thank you for the clarification of the various 3rd gen Rams.

Oh and Dakotas use under 2WD and over 4WD, Durangos under on both as well as Jeeps and other makes and models - hence why without knowing I said to just check the spring mounting.

I guess I should have said "some" instead of "many" trucks.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, pretty sure what I wrote was spot on, nothing incorrect with either statement.
It's all in the reading comprehension.
I even said I didn't know on his year Ram, but thank you for the clarification of the various 3rd gen Rams.

Oh and Dakotas use under 2WD and over 4WD, Durangos under on both as well as Jeeps and other makes and models - hence why without knowing I said to just check the spring mounting.

Sure it is lol....
And, those would all be great.....IF at any point Dakotas, Durangos (only until 2003, because after that they use coil springs....) or Jeeps and not, ya know.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a RAM.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt of using Tapatalk and not a browser, where it says he has a 2005, but lets go a step further where he says:

Says he has a 4.7 (only available in RAMS from 2002 to 2013) and is buying the rear out of a 3.7 (only available 2002-2008) truck to use in his 3rd gen RAM, which means (since there is no other RAM year this could have come out of to go into) that no other make or model is being discussed.

People come here to get info & help and that was just plain wrong in this instance for this application, reading comprehension has nothing to do with it.

Last edited: