Rear View Mirror?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
This little rear view mirror is pathetic and I’m sure we can all agree.

Any suggestions from experience you guys would recommend to clip on over the existing one? Many claim to be “universal” but we have auto dimming mirrors which are a bit thicker and bender the ability of most universal ones to clip on and don’t wanna buy a bunch and return a bunch so hoping someone uses one and can recommend that one.

Not looking to keep the UConnect buttons or get a Dashcam one, just a basic rear view mirror. Seems like convex may cause headaches from my research and not sure any tinted ones are better. I have tinted windows so not worried about auto dimming.

Thanks!

TC323i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I honestly never even considered it being a problem, but now that you mention it I would also be interested what options are out there and will start looking.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Haha yea I mean I have blind spot mirrors on the side view mirrors, but was thinking how dumb the rear view is the other day. You can’t even just get in and it be adjusted right half the time you have to readjust it because it’s so picky how the angles are through the limited vision it gives you.

Thought it would be cool to have a larger one that shows the rear fenders if any out there do. Would be much safer. Guess we’ll see what, if anything, comes up here.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you know how to use the sideview mirrors, the rearview mirror is great for for what it's good for, seeing the people in your back seat.
If you can't see your rear fenders just a little bit with how you have the sideview mirrors are set, you don't have them adjusted correctly.
With your head against the headrest, adjust the side mirrors to where you can just see a bit of the fender on the inside part of the mirror. When your driving, moving your head forward will allow to see the second lane over if needed.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
If you know how to use the sideview mirrors, the rearview mirror is great for for what it's good for, seeing the people in your back seat.
If you can't see your rear fenders just a little bit with how you have the sideview mirrors are set, you don't have them adjusted correctly.
With your head against the headrest, adjust the side mirrors to where you can just see a bit of the fender on the inside part of the mirror. When your driving, moving your head forward will allow to see the second lane over if needed.

Coming from a guy named crash you seem to know how to avoid crashes pretty well haha.

Seriously though, already know that and have it set that way. That may help others. I have mine set way out and once I learned that trick a decade ago it’s been a game changer.

Still the more visibility the better, that’s why I’d like to incorporate a wider rear view mirror and looking for suggestions for such.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some related info here on mirror options. Also includes a video which shows a "blind spot" set up for the stock mirrors which I have been using for some years now. I find the stock mirrors works as well as anthing out there. Having said that, I've not gone looking for any issues with the stock mirror in the cab. Funny sometimes what others notice and I don't until someone mentions something. Here's the link to that other thread:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/first-interior-mod-broadway-mirror.111305/#post-2007916

T.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Coming from a guy named crash you seem to know how to avoid crashes pretty well haha.

Seriously though, already know that and have it set that way. That may help others. I have mine set way out and once I learned that trick a decade ago it’s been a game changer.

Still the more visibility the better, that’s why I’d like to incorporate a wider rear view mirror and looking for suggestions for such.

knock on wood, no accidents in over 600K miles of just city driving without the use of a rearview mirror. Some people don't realize when driving trucks and a lot of SUVs how useless the rearview mirror is. The bed of a truck is almost 5' tall, anything shorter than that you can't see. In cars and low riders it's a different story, but still doesn't replace the side mirrors.
Even a back up cam is only good for seeing what directly behind the vehicle, yet I'll watch idiots using them to backing up and they wonder why they hit things.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Haha yep exactly. I figured if the mirror is there I’ll try to use it and better it even though my tint is so dark it’s just about useless anyway especially at night [emoji23]

Thanks for that link!! Prob gonna get that same one now.