rebuilding rear diff,for the second time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountainman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
5.9 ctd
o.k heres the deal, i had the diff oil changed in a shop,front and rear, 6months later the rear started howling i took the truck to my local dealer,the rear diff pinions and side bearings gone, they rebuilt it under warranty.
i replaced the oil again around 5000 miles or so everything ok, 13000 miles later i changed it again, took a road trip to ca from montana it started making howling noises while on the trip, i pulled the rear plug, nice amount of shavings and chunks on the plug, local shop said bearings are failing again.
front diff perfect, rear diff second rebuild in 1 1/2 years. full 75/90 synthetic used all oil changes, anybody have these problems or any thoughts ? dealer said the bearing preload could have been to loose or to tight when rebuilt, or a defective housing, and of course it's out of warranty, 900 and some change to rebuild all i can say is W.T.F

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Sounds like they did a crap job installing them .. I would not pay it again .. I would make them fix it for free IMO

OP
OP
M

mountainman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
5.9 ctd
yup, i'm with ya on that, local shop said since it was warranty work they prob went the cheap route, parts ect, or they didn't take enough time to get all the metal chips from the old bearings out. i will be making a call to the dealer and see what they have to say about it. the mechanic at the shop could not believe it's gone out twice in such a short time.