Recommendations on new/used 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mastaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just ordered a used 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with 25k miles. Any recommendations on what I should do to it so I can keep it running as long as possible? Friend of mine said to look into replacing the third brake light gasket before it leaks but curious if there are any more preventative measures I should take.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm sure you'll get plenty of longevity advice...I never kept mine past 5-10 years. But I will say consider the if it ain't broke approach to the brake light. I had 4 RAMs over 23 years that were not garaged....Not one of them had the leaking brake light (or the Hemi tick). Lucky? Maybe. I also went 22 years as a FF and never had anything worse than some decent cuts, sprains and a sore back a few times, so maybe luck has something to do with it.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Make sure you change oil every 5,000 miles, I drive on some gravel, and plenty of snow in winter, so make sure you have mud guards, front and rear, and side steps are nice for protection and help getting in. Rock chips down low are the first place rust starts.
Treat your Ram nice and it will last a long time. Good luck.
Which engine ?

OP
OP
M

mastaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you change oil every 5,000 miles, I drive on some gravel, and plenty of snow in winter, so make sure you have mud guards, front and rear, and side steps are nice for protection and help getting in. Rock chips down low are the first place rust starts.
Treat your Ram nice and it will last a long time. Good luck.
Which engine ?
It does have the mud guards, along with the retractable side steps. I’m in Texas and have never had to worry much about rust. Got the hemi 5.7.

Are you changing every 5k miles with full synthetic, blend, or conventional?

OP
OP
M

mastaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Full synthetic, looks nice, good luck. You picked well.
Thanks I really like it. Crew cab with 6’4” bed was something I really wanted.

Some of the full synthetic “guarantees” for up to 10k or 20k miles. Would you still change every 5k, or trust these oils for the mileage they say?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Some of the full synthetic “guarantees” for up to 10k or 20k miles. Would you still change every 5k, or trust these oils for the mileage they say?
The Hemi is a bit of a Prima Dona when it comes to oil changes,stick with the 5,000 mile oil change interval,even with a good quality synthetic. There's several oil threads in the 4th gen section,they're worth taking a look through,as the 5.7 hasn't changed from 09 to now. If your truck calls for 0W-20 avoid it also,at the very least run a good quality 5W-20,or better yet a 5W-30

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
Congratulations and nice truck.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque

Yes, change your oil every 5K, those guarantees mean nothing.