RedLine Engine Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScrubsR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Man, those videos sound perfect, I am missing any issue.

The hot idle has always sounded fine. You asked for videos around a month ago for both the cold start and hot idle in the oil thread. I rarely get this particular truck out so I wanted to capture some video. It had been sitting 5 days in the garage.

The cold engine video isn't a good representation of what I normally hear. I'll record it again and post the video for you to assess. Thanks

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a normal "box full of rocks" hemi......

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I got 63,000 on my 2014 and after the first 2 oil changes that they give you when you buy i bought there oil change deal 8 oil and filter changes with there full synthetic oil . I was concerned about what oil they use and they told me it's the same oil and filter that they use on the Hellcat. That was 4 oil changes ago I have never heard a noise from the motor as of yet (knock on wood) cold or otherwise. I think they said it was Pennzoil is what they use.
wow years ago I worked on a pennzoil car family car was so full valve covers with foam crap and I put fresh oil that was black in a 1000 miles at shop was told too much adds to clean engine foundly went to mobile one ran so less noise and ran so much better start in winter too ! use on my camry 185,000 on it ! my ram use amsoil runs great but cost only buy from amsoil get it fast no worries with it if u can check your valve cover and see ok ?

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
All joking aside, Kyle used m0s2 with redline and it did sound better. I believe redline killed his hemi tick, and that combo addressed cold piston slap with some success. Whatever works and has decent science behind it I am all about. Some evidence such as Corey's uoa's suggest if you kill the tick, the wear numbers get better, wouldn't that suggest the issue is fixed and not masked? The only downside is you have to stick with that strategy because it is temporarily "fixed" otherwise. I would attempt to use the least number of products to achieve that butter smooth engine, but I'd rather stack m0s2 on redline then have piston slap, if that is what it takes. There is two or three things going on, cold start up tick, warm idle tick, and cold piston slap. Clearly redline 5w30 is good at warm idle hemi tick and cold tick, but maybe you need something else for piston slap. Maybe more m0s2 tests are needed, maybe that added to whatever generic oil will be best at all 3 things? We still need more testing, we seam to have been stuck on just one.
hearing low oil psi turn defrost on ! if so bet noise maybe go away lifter problems and mds off I feel would help !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Mopar brand filter did it also, that was when i got it from dealer in march. I don't think it was a special filter just the regular one. Now with rp filter and redline 530 its happened a few times again. Only if it sits 2 days though from what ive noticed so far.
Somewheres around 500 on oil i think, id have to look.
ok use amsoil but mine sat a week now started it up no problems but I feel mds turn off and one problem low idle problems ! so turn on defrost to get it from low oil pressure 26 sucks to 31 psi bet one problem dodge still wont fix why other trucks and car idle 650 rpm ? feel never should had done the mds tested new no mpg I saw change mds off 5-30 right now no problems in 9 years ok ? try it I know when frist running high rpms seen higher pressure but when warm owww my very low pressure ?

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Mopar brand filter did it also, that was when i got it from dealer in march. I dont think it was a special filter just the regular one. Now with rp filter and redline 530 its happened a few times again. Only if it sits 2 days though from what ive noticed so far.
Somewheres around 500 on oil i think, id have to look.
I wouldn't go to a dealer they only guess most haven't had 30 years working on motors and well tell u bs seen over the years they try to fix but too late now some guess on here our right on here ! we ve done engines for years sadly dealer s are stuck with dumb ideas engineers had change on engines mine runs fine cuz its set up right or would have sold it a long time ago amsoil has help me a lot ! friends who fix problems guys are having now we new this was coming up sorry to hear people losing there engines cuz valves done

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds perfect! QSUD plus Lubegard? Nice.

Yes it is! Its always pretty quiet except for that cold start piston slap which i still havnt had again, still waiting for that to come back lol

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok so i had the cold start tick today after sitting 2.5 days, wasnt loud but there. I figured i would get it to happen again with the sitting it does from time to time.
Ill have to monitor it more and see if its just after the longer sitting.
Maybe the srt filter would fix it, idk!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so i had the cold start tick today after sitting 2.5 days, wasnt loud but there. I figured i would get it to happen again with the sitting it does from time to time.

What oil and additive (if any) are you on now?

Asking because I had a nice quiet cold start (with remote start) but after 10 minutes of the truck running I thought I started to hear piston slap knock-type noise.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mine sits and so far very pleased with the NAPA platinum filter.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What oil and additive (if any) are you on now?

Asking because I had a nice quiet cold start (with remote start) but after 10 minutes of the truck running I thought I started to hear piston slap knock-type noise.

10oz lubegard and 0w20 qsud, only in for a few hundred

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here we go.... Rotella 0-20 , a can of Liqui moly MoS2 and a RP 20-820 filter going in! Updates to follow.
2014 1500 crew cab, 4x4 ,5.7L automatic. Bone stock. 49,000 miles

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here we go.... Rotella 0-20 , a can of Liqui moly MoS2 and a RP 20-820 filter going in! Updates to follow.
2014 1500 crew cab, 4x4 ,5.7L automatic. Bone stock. 49,000 miles

Well, so far so good. Quiet cold morning start ups, excellent oil pressure and so far no lifter clatter after the "start it, move it, shut it off start it again later"routine. Fingers crossed....lol

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So what i noticed. I have tried mobil 1 0w40 and redline 0w40. Mobil 1 filter and a rp filter. They both worked great up untill just over 4k on the oil. Then i get the start up clatter for a couple sec's after a cold start. So then it dawned on me that i never ran pup 0w40 i got the truck used with 30k on it with a freash dealer change. I got some pup to try with a mopar filter. Maybe changing oil at 4 to 5k is going to be my thing. I'll post back my results. But it seems to me that when my oil life is around 50% i start getting the clatter again.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what i noticed. I have tried mobil 1 0w40 and redline 0w40. Mobil 1 filter and a rp filter. They both worked great up untill just over 4k on the oil. Then i get the start up clatter for a couple sec's after a cold start. So then it dawned on me that i never ran pup 0w40 i got the truck used with 30k on it with a freash dealer change. I got some pup to try with a mopar filter. Maybe changing oil at 4 to 5k is going to be my thing. I'll post back my results. But it seems to me that when my oil life is around 50% i start getting the clatter again.

PYB and PUP 5-20 acted exactly the same as that on my truck. Maybe 3K miles on my oil, but yeah the engine overall started to sound noisier.

I suppose if we all just stick to the old school 3K mile OCI, we can probably get away with anything. But even if its not Redline-expensive, I hate tossing good oil at 3K miles.