Redline OCI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For the guys using Redline. I am going to try Redline 5w30. When are you guys changing your oil?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have done 3 uoa's, tbn was 3 after 2 years and 10k miles, the truck doesn't get a lot of miles. I would say generally 10k miles is a good interval. After one year 5k miles the tbn was over 6 I believe, which was really changing it too early. Question, how many miles per year and mostly freeway or city miles? Paired with spun microglass filter?? how many miles on truck? reason for using redline?

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I drive mainly highway. The reason for switching is of course a noisy hemi. My Hemi has always been noisy. I have 63,000 miles on it. Want to use a Royal Purple filter.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I drive mainly highway. The reason for switching is of course a noisy hemi. My Hemi has always been noisy. I have 63,000 miles on it. Want to use a Royal Purple filter.

So tbn and how the engine is running really sets the OCI. Redline is a medium calcium oil so it is a fairly long oci, but if an engine is not running efficiently any oil brand oci will be reduced as fuel gets into oil. I highly recommend you run that filter regardless of oil brand you use in the future. Fairly low miles I think you will be good for the change, watch the oil color on the dip stick, if you get massive cleaning due to miles you might want a short oci this first run. My oil stays amber on the stick over 7500 miles, it's never been black even at 2 years 10k miles. Have you ever changed pcv? If not I would do so, maybe get off on the right foot, should be done every 60k miles imo.

So another thing that the labs use as time to change an oil is ppm metal, now with hemi's these numbers are fked like 95% of the time regardless of oil. The reason labs say to change oil when ppm metals come up is the "sand paper" effect. Now, I'm just not sure how much I buy into this and I have never used that as info to set my OCI, but I am handing you the info for you to decide. If your engine is noisy it is possible you have elevated metals, I would do a uoa at the 5k mile mark with your redline run, just to verify. That number will give me personally a ton of info on what will be a safe oci going forward. Up to you, blackstone sends you a kit for free, you drain off just enough oil to fill their container, follow instructions, you get a uoa WITH TBN.

Now, if you don't feel like doing that I would say 7500 miles OCI is a no brainer safe miles 99% of the time, 10k miles still pretty safe but I have seen low tbn a couple times because like I said every vehicle is different, if you want to push it out to 12k-15k miles I say please do a UOA, and I know many people that do run it 15k especially before the ethanol mandates. I'm not sure how many people push it these days. I don't think there is a situation in gas engines where redline will get you past that anymore. A good practice is also cut your filter open and see how the filter held up and if there are any contaminants caught in the filter.

Mainly highway 95% of the time you will be good 10-12k miles. I'd probably run it 12k miles.

Sorry it was a more simple answer, ha.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Try to keep this quite. When I tried the RL 5-30 in my 03 5.7 with 230k miles. Top and bottom of engine was noisy. Not horrible, just 230k noisy. Never had that on RP. At 500 miles I couldn't stand it. Changed the oil to RL 5-40. Top end and bottom end noise on morning start up gone! After driving for a couple hours on a 106* day,,got a mild lifter noise (push rod to lifter sound) Testified to Burla and the others that I would run that oil for 1501 miles, before I consider Amsoil 10-40 AMO. If the RL 5-40 does what I think it will after 1500 miles,,,I think I can get off the OCI **** list. LOL

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Also, if you have the oil life monitor, just run that to 0 and change.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fitz we just want truthful info, Redline isn't for everyone and some people have had issues, just keep being truthful. Most of the time there is a reason for what happened, in fact I believe every single time it was a high mileage engine, and as stated unless you have been using redline all along I wouldn't be switching in those situations unless there was a tick.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Try to keep this quite. When I tried the RL 5-30 in my 03 5.7 with 230k miles. Top and bottom of engine was noisy. Not horrible, just 230k noisy. Never had that on RP. At 500 miles I couldn't stand it. Changed the oil to RL 5-40. Top end and bottom end noise on morning start up gone! After driving for a couple hours on a 106* day,,got a mild lifter noise (push rod to lifter sound) Testified to Burla and the others that I would run that oil for 1501 miles, before I consider Amsoil 10-40 AMO. If the RL 5-40 does what I think it will after 1500 miles,,,I think I can get off the OCI **** list. LOL

I would stick with what has been working for you.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be changeing mine at 6 months/ 5to 6k. I know that's early and could very easily expect to go much further however I drive alot of short trips. In my case if I was to go any further I'd do a UOA just for piece of mind or I could take that money to do part of my oil change. If I don't change my oil after 6 months I feel like I'm neglecting my ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk