Refueling issues. Need your help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How many people here are having a tough time refueling their Gas powered trucks? When I refuel mine, the nozzle will constantly keep clicking off before the tank is full. For example, the other day I put 15 gallons in my empty tank and the nozzle shut off 97 times. It has been to the dealer numerous times and they finally told me that Chrysler cannot fix the problem and to come pick up your truck. They have replaced the gas tank twice, the filler neck and the charcoal canister along with numerous tests performed of the evap system. I am hoping someone here has had the same problem.

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
One gas station I go to blamed it on frozen nozzles.

It was either that or the vent hole was plugged.

Don't use that nozzle anymore, haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
Z

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One gas station I go to blamed it on frozen nozzles.

It was either that or the vent hole was plugged.

Don't use that nozzle anymore, haven't had a problem since.

I am having this problem at every gas station I go to.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I am having this problem at every gas station I go to.

Are you sticking the nozzle in all the way or far enough to get past the second flap in the filler neck?

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Man that's terrible. All those pieces replaced and still hasn't helped...that's a tough one. I'd try giving as much air as possible to the fill tube and put the nozzle on a setting no more than half full flow.

Filling this gas Hemi is a dream over the 2013 CTD with its capless filler I no longer have. I must have lost a full day of my life trying to fill that damn thing with the first flap then the spring ball valve. Didn't matter where the hell I put the nozzle....pull it out...push it in....twist it left....twist it right...fill slow....fill fast....DAMN the more I talk about it brings back some bad psychological events in my life.....:shocked::banghead:

This hemi saved me! :peace::waytogo:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the same issue, it is as if the nozzle has to be at a perfect angle and length or it will just keep shutting off, fortunately I get gas at the same place 90% of the time and I usually don't have issues with their pumps how ever their was one time I did and it drove me freggin nuts

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I guess we need to be re-educated on how to put our nozzles in the hole. :roflsquared:

Btw, the 2014 CTD are capless as well.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a problem in new jersey..lol.

Seriously, I have seen that happen once in a while, I get out of my truck and while the attendant is helping other. I just squeeze that handle a couple more times.

2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4

*Bilstein 2.8" front
*Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer
*Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit
*Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers
*Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4)
*fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats
*2-12" alpine subs (swe -1243l
*500 watt alpine mono sub
*LED 3rd tail light smoked
*Spyder LED smokes tail lights
havent even started on the engine..lol

Nicmabry01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't had this issue in my '14 yet I actually don't think it's clicked off one time except when it's full of course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this problem with mine no matter where I go. The trick for me is start fueling and lift the pump handle up til it touches the truck and it never shuts off prematurely. It just sucks that I have to sit there and hold it.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been there, done that, fortunately ours was fixable, and fell under the list of parts you have had changed already. Wasn't on my 6.4 - thank god, but on the wifes WKII. FOund out while on vacation, made filling the gas tank a nice long job everytime. I can't remember if hers was the tank / rollover valve issue, or one of the hoses was kinked / not curved properly.

OP
OP
Z

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you sticking the nozzle in all the way or far enough to get past the second flap in the filler neck?

There are no flaps in the filler neck. The Nozzle is all the way in.

OP
OP
Z

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have this problem with mine no matter where I go. The trick for me is start fueling and lift the pump handle up til it touches the truck and it never shuts off prematurely. It just sucks that I have to sit there and hold it.

Yes it works a little better when I do that way but still clicks off.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In all the parts they replaced did they do the vapor return line? Though I should check to make sure we even have those on our trucks. I would assume by now they would have changed anything related to tank and filling though.

Curious have you tried putting the nozzle on the first click only (lowest flow seeting), same result? I'm sure you mentioned that already, but didn't notice.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
There are no flaps in the filler neck. The Nozzle is all the way in.

Yes there is. The first one you see and the seconds one is down in the neck in which you will feel open when you slowly stick the nozzle in. It basically looks like this inside, but the second flap(valve) is further down.

2011-09-18_004717_fuel.jpg

This is also why you got this little device with your Ram for when you have to fill your truck up using a gas can. It ensures you pass through and open that second flap.

91JOjUv9tFL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
Z

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes there is. The first one you see and the seconds one is down in the neck in which you will feel open when you slowly stick the nozzle in. It basically looks like this inside, but the second flap(valve) is further down.

View attachment 45845

This is also why you got this little device with your Ram for when you have to fill your truck up using a gas can. It ensures you pass through and open that second flap.

View attachment 45847

Although, like Twillaims said, it might be best to not stick the nozzle in all the way because you are completely covering that second flap hole with the nozzle. This cause the back pressure valve in the nozzle to trip and shut it off. Leaving some room in that second flap where the nozzle is completely covering it might be enough for the back pressure to escape without setting off the valve.

The best way I can explain it is like when you use a funnel to fill your oil. If the funnel is pushed all the way in and completely fills the filler neck then the oil will fill slowly. However, if the funnel tilted just a bit so it doesn't completely fill the hole to let the back pressure inside escape, the the oil goes down quicker. I know it is a poor analogy, but it is the best way I can explain it.

There are NO flaps in my filler neck. I know what you are talking about and my truck does not have them. Not even the first one you usually see on most cars. When you open the gas cap all you see is the inside of the tube curving down to the tank. Now I believe that the filler neck curves to close to the opening causing splash back shutting off the nozzle. The dealer also believes the filler neck is the problem but there is nothing they can do. The dealer and Chrysler refuse to work on this problem anymore and returned the truck to me. They admit there is a problem but refuse to work or diagnose my truck anymore.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The dealer also believes the filler neck is the problem but there is nothing they can do. The dealer and Chrysler refuse to work on this problem anymore and returned the truck to me. They admit there is a problem but refuse to work or diagnose my truck anymore.

That is F'ed up on their part.

I know when a situation like this arose in the F150 Forum I used to be involved in, we would all band together to write emails to Ford asking to resolve the issue for a member. It didn't happen but a few times. When enough emails were sent to the right people, the person that had the issue got contacted and the problem mysteriously got solved. Get me an email address and I would be happy to write one if you think it would help.

Reactions: ZAR
OP
OP
Z

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In all the parts they replaced did they do the vapor return line? Though I should check to make sure we even have those on our trucks. I would assume by now they would have changed anything related to tank and filling though.

Curious have you tried putting the nozzle on the first click only (lowest flow seeting), same result? I'm sure you mentioned that already, but didn't notice.

I don't think they replaced any vapor lines. They did tell me that the mechanic blew through all the vapor lines and everything was clear.

I have tried filling the tank slower (first click) and it has no effect.

OP
OP
Z

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is F'ed up on their part.

I know when a situations like this arose in the F150 Forum I used to be involved in, we would all band together to write emails to Ford asking to resolve the issue for a member. It didn't happen but a few times. When enough emails were sent to the right people, the person that had the issue got contacted and the problem mysteriously got solved. Get me an email address and I would be happy to write one if you think it would help.

Thank you. I have been dealing with Chrysler care by phone. If I can find an email I will let you know.