Relocated dual batteries to the bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I'm am relocating my battery and adding a second battery to the bed of the truck. I need to replace my aging Yellow Top because I'm now getting a red lightening bolt every so often and I know it's not an issue with the throttle body.

The plan is to use welding cable from the local supply shop as it tends to have a higher strand count and remain flexible in the stupid cold temps out here. I hydraulically crimped every connector and ordered a 10 ton hydraulic crimping tool for $45, it survived this job so it's money well spent.

The setup will be:

Dual Optima Yellow Tops relocated to the tool box in the bed, wired in parallel w/ 1/0Ga, no solenoid
1/0Ga cable from the alt to batteries w/ 300A fuse (I've blown 250A fuses here before)
1/0Ga cable from batteries to Amp distribution block
1/0Ga cable from batteries to Moroso 74102 power shut off switch in the roll pan
1/0Ga cable from shut off switch to (1) 1/0Ga to (2) 1/0Ga distribution block
1/0Ga cable from distribution block to starter
1/0Ga cable from distribution block to (1) 1/0Ga IN to (3) 8Ga OUT distribution block
8Ga cables to fuse box, auxillary fuse box breaker, and spare

Grounds:
1/0Ga engine-frame
(2) 1/0Ga battery-frame

I debated using one Red Top and one Yellow Top but I've decided I really don't want to have a solenoid in between the two like I had originally planned. This will give me a much longer off-key run time and shouldn't cause issues with the charging system. I do forsee requiring an high amp output alternator upgrade in the future, but we'll see what happens with the JL HD 900/5s and (2) 12W6-V3s. I don't like capacitors, so I won't be using any in this build.

Got started on the install yesterday. Pretty straightforward so far. I just need to cut the floor of my tool box and bed to pass the cables through now and run them the length of the truck, everything else is installed.

I like the bracket, but it's obvious that the manufacturer didn't have a bolt in the nut when they welded it together as the nuts were warped slightly and snapped one of the grade 3 bolts they supply with just moderate pressure. So I had to tap out the holes again and I used stainless hardware instead.

Here's the battery bracket painted and with the dual yellow tops installed.
IMG_0052_zps3946fdc4.jpg

Then I started the wiring using 1/0ga welding cable. Everything is techflexed with corresponding heat shrink.
IMG_0054_zps86755338.jpg

A look at the power distribution blocks. The audio system is running off a 140A breaker and the main power distribution will run one cable directly to the starter and the other will run to the Master shut-off switch then to the fuse box.
IMG_0055_zps9e306a7e.jpg

Just need to run grounds to the frame, and the long power cables. I plan to upgrade the engine-frame ground as well.
IMG_0056_zps04a653bf.jpg

Batteries are fully installed. I couldn't get the firewall bushings to work, not enough room on the ribs of the bed floor so I resorted to good old grommets.
IMG_0059_zps6909ee4a.jpg

IMG_0061_zps82f63b12.jpg

IMG_0060_zps9fc87be5.jpg

Grounds are right under the box. I drilled and taped the frame and cleaned off the paint. Bolted right into the frame, I can't get a better ground without welding directly to the frame.
IMG_0058_zpse6f60300.jpg

Installed the Moroso shut off in the roll pan.
IMG_0065_zps389f37f2.jpg

IMG_0066_zpsa52427a4.jpg

Battery is now out of the engine bay, the space was then used to install the new wiring. I also installed a ground distribution block to simplify any future underhood mods. The bolt you see is connecting the alternator to the distribution block, and it's sticking up far enough that I can get a jumper cable on it if ever required.
IMG_0074_zps25d51b86.jpg

IMG_0076_zps1e56b2b2.jpg

Wired right up to the alternator and runs all the way back to the batteries in the box.
IMG_0067_zpsbab41de0.jpg

Here's the mostly cleaned up wiring with my auxiliary fuse block.
IMG_0077_zps7fa2f0f8.jpg

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Well done Sir!
Very clean, detailed job
You will without certain have plenty of volts!

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice!
IMO using welding cable makes so much more sense than overpriced, fancy-colored "audio" power cable. I used 1/0 and copper lugs from Acklands-Granger when I added an industrial group 31 battery in my trunk. Has been perfect for almost 3 years now.
Can't wait to get home so I can see your pics (stupid firewall).

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Looks sharp. I moved a battery in my car before but do not see the need to move the one in the truck. What motivated this move besides needing a new battery?
Sharp work

Sent from this thing in my hand

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
thats badass. it came out great.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Looks sharp. I moved a battery in my car before but do not see the need to move the one in the truck. What motivated this move besides needing a new battery?
Sharp work

Sent from this thing in my hand

I honestly needed more realestate under the hood for things like my nitrous controller, additional fuse block, and to clean up as much wiring as possible for appearance.