Remove broken exhaust stud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cd36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
One of these weekends I'm going to replace the passenger side exhaust gasket and one of the studs is broken. I was wondering how much play there is in the exhaust system? Can I pull the manifold off the head far enough to replace the gasket and a vice grip on what's left of the stud, or do I need to disconnect the manifold from the y pipe? I would think if I could pull it a couple of inches from the head that would be enough.

Just trying to get an idea how involved this will be as the bolts at the manifold to y pipe connection look rusty and may be a pain to remove. Thanks,

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
There's zero play in the y pipe, you'll have to undo the manifold to Y bolts. And you can expect them to break if they're rusty, but that's a pretty simple fix. Just pull the broken pcs out and replace with new ones. Soak everything is penetrating fluid at least overnight. Especially that broken stud. And use an impact gun, not wrenches.

rcflyer8410

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to do exactly the same thing - one of the studs was broken off nearly flush. You will have to remove the manifold and Y pipe. It's actually not that hard.. I just removed the tire and was able to pretty easily access everything. I had to use an EZ-Out to get mine as it was broken flush with the engine. Have to be carefully drilling - don't want to mess up the threads. I soaked mine really good with WD40 before even trying..came out fairly easy.

Also, recommendation: If the studs are broken, there is a good chance the manifold is warped. The constant heat, expansion / contracting, will cause the manifold to warp if one side is loose or not secure - it has room to "warp" as it constantly heats and cools. Depending on how bad it's warped, a machine shop can even it out - but frankly, I bought a new one from the dealer for around $60, which wasn't all that ridiculous. If it is even a little warped, it won't seal - and you really can't use any type of RTV sealant here, as it simply won't work. Make sure you install the gasket properly as well - one side has almost like a soft "felt like mateiral" while the other is metal... the new gaskets are a bit different than the originals.

I would also recommend buying all new bolts from the dealer - just replace them all. While other bolts will work (from your hardware store), the factory ones aren't expensive at all for a complete set, and they have the extra stud to hold the heat shield... using new bolts will ensure you get the right torque, etc.. And yes, make sure you use a torque wrench and set them exact - otherwise it won't properly seal... and you definitely don't want to over-tighten and strip anything.

I actually did both sides on my truck - the manifolds were BADLY warped. I set them on a flat surface and it would rock back and forth... IF your going through the effort of removing, and it has loose belts, just replace it - or carefully inspect to ensure zero warpage.

CZSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
More thoughts on bolts?
I'm dropping the truck off Monday morning at a local shop to do the bolt extraction; they better equipped w/ tools and I don't want the aggrevation...

Right or wrong am planning on sticking with the factory logs for now to keep cost down; good point about checking for warped manifolds.

I went ahead and picked up factory bolts but man are they expensive ($60). I also picked up some 12.9 Grade M8 bolts, the only thing is the 12.9's were only available in an allen head - any concern with allen head bolts given they are a very high grade?
My understanding is that the factory bolts have not changed from the original; don't want to have the same broken bolt problem down the road.

OP
OP
C

cd36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Just did it this morning. Easy job. Soaked it in Pb blaster last night and everything came out pretty easy. There were two broken studs but I think the one just recently broke as it just got louder before I did it and I only remember seeing one broken before.

The broken studs came out with vice grips. I used all new hardware and torqued them down properly.

I didn't do anything with the manifold, I debated it, but it's a long weekend and I can't be without the truck that long. Everything sealed anyways and no more exhaust leak.

I just did the passenger side, gasket can only go on one way, I don't think you could install it backwards due to the bolt pattern and egr port.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well done, I also did mine a while back and didn't find it all that difficult.

rcflyer8410

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bolts

Wow, seems expensive for the bolts - I don't remember paying that much..but I bought mine online (still OEM). Sometimes the local parts store jacks the price 2 or 3X... I think the bolts were like $2 - $2.50 each. I opted to not use higher rated bolts. Bottom line - the reason they snapped is because they worked themselves loose in the first place. If it works loose again, I would rather the bolt snap as opposed to the engine side threads getting damaged from the vibration and pull. If the bolts stay tight, they won't snap. Either way, using the allen head M8's shouldn't be an issue.. probably still wouldn't create enough force to damage the threads...so, six to one half dozen or the other.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could also try and get ARP fasteners. I don't know if they make studs for the hemi, but it wouldn't hurt to try.