Replace junk infotainment bezel with Factory bezel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
A few years ago I bought an 8.4 ra4 upgrade kit on eBay. It’s an infotainment bezel with a junk added on volume knob. I don’t have steering wheel audio controls so I need the dash knob. Well now the knob is junk and the volume willll turn up but not down which is really inconvenient.

Is there a cheap, easy way to upgrade to the factory bezel that has the knob and the up down buttons for temp? Can I use the factory bezel with the adapter harness I have been using?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
A few years ago I bought an 8.4 ra4 upgrade kit on eBay. It’s an infotainment bezel with a junk added on volume knob. I don’t have steering wheel audio controls so I need the dash knob. Well now the knob is junk and the volume willll turn up but not down which is really inconvenient.

Is there a cheap, easy way to upgrade to the factory bezel that has the knob and the up down buttons for temp? Can I use the factory bezel with the adapter harness I have been using?
Cheapest would be to add steering controls.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I’m scared to pull the steering wheel off. I did it before to add the Bluetooth buttons (back in 2016 or so). I was nervous as hell then and I just don’t want to risk it again. Partly cuz my cruise control buttons have been finicky ever since then.

So it’s either buy a replacement $300 bezel, or buy the kit to put the factory bezel kit in ($600). Or do steering wheel audio Controls... how much is that? Like a couple hundred?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m scared to pull the steering wheel off. I did it before to add the Bluetooth buttons (back in 2016 or so). I was nervous as hell then and I just don’t want to risk it again. Partly cuz my cruise control buttons have been finicky ever since then.

So it’s either buy a replacement $300 bezel, or buy the kit to put the factory bezel kit in ($600). Or do steering wheel audio Controls... how much is that? Like a couple hundred?

You'll be replacing the wiring harness so you may fix your cruise issue during replacement.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Can you replace the volume control? Is it a pot or an encoder? That might be the easiest and cheapest solution.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you replace the volume control? Is it a pot or an encoder? That might be the easiest and cheapest solution.
If I'm not mistaken, it's an analog solution to a digital problem and is prone to failure even when brand new.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The only scary part I remember was pulling the airbag and if you buy the tool for that it's pretty easy, just be careful with the clock spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same kit as OP and the volume never worked right so I installed steering wheel controls and eventually replaced the whole HU with a pioneer unit. OP I was hesitant to remove the steering wheel but there are some good guides out there. To prevent your clockspring from moving around there’s a trick where you stock a pin into a guide hole and it prevents it from moving while you work. Also the airbag removal tool seems like a silly purchase but it had me popping the clips with no struggle.

19EFF4D5-1C70-4C08-BF91-E457449D3D9C.png

DD17AD77-014C-4D9C-8121-00FFC780E188.png

OP
OP
E

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I had the same kit as OP and the volume never worked right so I installed steering wheel controls and eventually replaced the whole HU with a pioneer unit. OP I was hesitant to remove the steering wheel but there are some good guides out there. To prevent your clockspring from moving around there’s a trick where you stock a pin into a guide hole and it prevents it from moving while you work. Also the airbag removal tool seems like a silly purchase but it had me popping the clips with no struggle.

View attachment 232317

View attachment 232318

I don’t even remember how I did it the first time but I do remember being very Nervous about messing up the clock spring.

Anyhow, I bit the bullet and just bought the kit to use the factory bezel with new HVAC unit. They gave me a discount, and no tax or shipping. $540. Still an ouch but it will be nice to have a working volume knob and nicer hvac controls

Jpercy14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 1500
Engine
I don’t even remember how I did it the first time but I do remember being very Nervous about messing up the clock spring.

Anyhow, I bit the bullet and just bought the kit to use the factory bezel with new HVAC unit. They gave me a discount, and no tax or shipping. $540. Still an ouch but it will be nice to have a working volume knob and nicer hvac controls

Do u have a picture of what u are using now?? I bought the bezel from infortainment.com and now my volume button isnt working at all. Tried everything I found researching and it just doesn't work anymore. I'm out of options need some help. What does the bezel and new hvac controls look like? I had the ra2 radio or what ever it is with basic single zone climate. Bought Bought 8.4 radio but then had no volume controls. So I needed infortainments bezel and wiring. Which cost **** 4-5 hundred canadian if I'm not mistaken and that lasted a year or so. Thanks

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Why not just buy the wiring harness and a used heater control module along with a used factory 8.4 bezel? your looking at about $400 total if you buy the bezel and module on ebay. I just did this upgrade a couple weeks ago myself. theres a website M2 somthing thats advertised here a lot they sell everything for the conversion.... I thought even infotainment went away from the base model bezel with the random volume knob

you will also have a 7 speed heat control system you can control from the touchscreen as well. I havent touched my steering wheel but I did update my stereo, ad a rear camera and upgrade to the 7" digital display dash cluster... ive had steering wheel audio controll on my company cars for 8 years and I still havent gotten in the habit of actually using them so..