Replace rear brake line: Drop tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I need to replace the big rear brake line that goes from the front wheel to the rear wheel. ('01 2500 Extended Cab 2wd Cummins)

Is there a way to do this without removing the fuel tank? Or do I just suck it up and pull the tank?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I need to replace the big rear brake line that goes from the front wheel to the rear wheel. ('01 2500 Extended Cab 2wd Cummins)

Is there a way to do this without removing the fuel tank? Or do I just suck it up and pull the tank?
I woul just suck it up and drop the tank or I would lift the bed on the left side and tilt it towards the right side to gain access to the brake line.

OP
OP
S

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would just suck it up and drop the tank or I would lift the bed on the left side and tilt it towards the right side to gain access to the brake line.
Much appreciated. Spending a couple of hours futzing with either of those is so much nicer without a voice in the back of my head wondering if I really need to be doing it.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Much appreciated. Spending a couple of hours futzing with either of those is so much nicer without a voice in the back of my head wondering if I really need to be doing it.
Yeah for sure. I do that from time to time as mechanic too even after 25 years so you're not the only one.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can be done without lifting the bed or dropping the tank. Cover the open end with tape and slide it past the tank without pre-bending the end you just taped over. After 3 or 4 false starts, you will figure out how to get it past the obstructions. Then, using your tubing bender (or a socket) install the proper bends in the line so they line up with the existing line. After threading your are behind the tank, put the new lines in the existing clips. Connect as needed and bleed. Piece o' cake! (not really)

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When I replaced the line on my ‘01 3500 I just threaded the new line inside the frame front to back. I cut back the old line so the original mounting clips. Wasn’t a bad job to fix.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was replaced at the dealer. Didn't drop the tank or remove the bed. Fitting is behind the left front wheel well and T's in behind the left rear wheel

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Take into consideration how old the fuel pump is

If you think the pump has reached its life time
I would lift the bed off the truck

Then fix the brake line, replace the fuel pump, check all of the hoses & do preventative maintenance on the under carriage