Replacing 5.7L Oil Pan because of rust - opinions on choice of pan ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Posting this in general discussion for widest audience. What are my Oil Pan choices for 5.7L in a 4th Gen 1500 4X4 ? Does anyone make a better-than-OE oil pan ?

I have been appalled at the rust on my oil pan. I installed Mopar OE skid plates when I first bought the truck, and they have almost no rust after 5 winters, but the oil pan . . . ugh ! I mention the skid plates for two reasons: 1) they hid some of the rust from me until I looked hard 2) they collect and hold salty road gunk, but they haven't rusted like the oil pan. The oil pan has rust on the sides where salty brine even drains off.

The flaky rust on one side of the pan is bad enough that I plan to replace the oil pan before winter. How do I avoid the same rust problem again ? I am reluctant about another FCA oil pan with the same 5-year lifetime. If the OE and aftermarket oil pans all come from the same place, I'd expect the same problem again. If I have to, I can go aftermarket and do a complete exterior refinish before installation, but that's a lot of busy work.

If you replaced an oil pan, please share what you have done.

Thanks !

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 5.7 also has a ridiculous amount of large chunk rust. My 2011 was no better. That being said, has anybody looked into the cost to replace one? I'm guessing it's not an easy swap?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Paint whatever you choose with a quality paint and you won't have anymore problems.
This right here. A coat of good paint will go a long way in the rust prevention department.