Replacing factory radio, adding backup camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cuevrojamez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What have you guys done in replacing the factory radio?

Curious what the single DIN looks like vs. the double DIN.

Also curious if anyone has added a backup camera.
1466261444649.jpg

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I did a double din, did some body work to my bezel and installed a $20 HD camera in my plastic bed cap..

Well, this was my 2007..

Then I did a hydro dipped for a friend.. same set up..

Attachments

• IMG_7620.jpg
    IMG_7620.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 69
  • BezelCF21.jpg
    BezelCF21.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 73

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd highly recommend narrowing in on a double din. The factory opening looks funny with a single din unit, and you'd have a hard time with a backup camera if you can even find one that does a camera.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do a double din, you will either have to modify your current dash panel by cutting it, or you will have to get a whole new center dash piece out of a truck that had factory navigation.

The radio in your truck is a din and a half size. So you can't install a double din without cutting or replacing your dash panel.

The easiest, but most expensive way, is replacing the dash piece. It will snap right in and your double din will install right into it. The next way, which is cheaper, is to cut your dash panel and use the metra dash kit that comes with the piece that snaps over where you cut. Then install your double din. The other way which is the most work, is to cut the dash panel and use fiberglass or some kind of filler and basically treat it like body work on a car, smooth it out and paint it.

Last edited:

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't installed one of these, but I was surprised to learn that metra now does double din bezels for the 02 to 05, so I looked it up and they have one for 30 bucks for the 06 to 08s too. It looks like it mounts on top of the factory bezel and looks pretty clean, but you do chop out some plastic on the stock bezel. I know it used to be that you had to custom build one, but maybe not anymore?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iRhu7sPvfA5/p_120956528B/Metra-95-6528B-Dash-Kit-Matte-Black.html

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't installed one of these, but I was surprised to learn that metra now does double din bezels for the 02 to 05, so I looked it up and they have one for 30 bucks for the 06 to 08s too. It looks like it mounts on top of the factory bezel and looks pretty clean, but you do chop out some plastic on the stock bezel. I know it used to be that you had to custom build one, but maybe not anymore?

Metra 95-6528B Dash Kit (Matte Black) Fits select 2006-09 Dodge Ram trucks — double-DIN radios at Crutchfield.com

That's the 2nd one I was talking about. This is the dash kit that Ram Em has in his truck.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did you guys do to retain the chimes? I'm asking for an '08 4.7 with a basic stock radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chimes are generated by a device built into the gauge cluster of the truck.

But on other vehicles where chimes are generated through the radio, the correct harness for the vehicle will include a box that interfaces with the vehicle's data system and recreates the chimes either back through the speakers like stock, or through a speaker built into the box.

Last edited:

F22-Raptor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The chimes are generated by a device built into the gauge cluster of the truck.

But on other vehicles where chimes are generated through the radio, the correct harness for the vehicle will include a box that interfaces with the vehicle's data system and recreates the chimes either back through the speakers like stock, or through a speaker built into the box.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've been trying to figure out how the chimes worked. All along I was under the impression that it was through the radio.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've been trying to figure out how the chimes worked. All along I was under the impression that it was through the radio.

Most newer vehicles, gm for example, do run the chimes through the driver side speaker. But on our trucks its a little simpler.