Resistors for adding an amplifier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to do my homework before ordering everything to add a 4 channel amp to my 2015 ram 1500 crew cab. The truck has the 6 speaker non alpine system in it. I want to add a 4 channel amp to run the front and rear door speakers.

From what I understand, in order to add a 4 channel amp to push the door speakers, I will need to add resistors to the speaker inputs for the head unit to sense a load in order to send a signal? Is that correct?

Are there line output converters or 4 channel amplifiers that have this feature already built in?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd just rather do my homework up front rather than chase problems on the other end. Thank you!

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know, the resistor thing only applies to the Alpine system with the built-in factory amplifier. I know this because I fought with the damn thing for months until coming across a post somewhere.

You should try to keep all of your questions in your original thread. It will make it much easier to find later and also for people to read back in order to help you solve any problems that crop up.

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Th
As far as I know, the resistor thing only applies to the Alpine system with the built-in factory amplifier. I know this because I fought with the damn thing for months until coming across a post somewhere.

You should try to keep all of your questions in your original thread. It will make it much easier to find later and also for people to read back in order to help you solve any problems that crop up.
Thank you, I'll see if I can combine them.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it also applies to the non Alpine systems, I'll have to check which ones I used for mine

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaker Resistors - 37 to 50 ohms, 5-10 watts

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
by they way, I went with 47 ohms, 10W and all works great

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt use any resistors with my 2014 non alpine. I also have my amps all high level so they are straight connected without a processor/eq/dsp in the middle. This might make a difference but in any case, 0 resistors here, although I bought them.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my 2017 would not work without the resistors, I do have an audiocontrol lc7i that my speakers are tapped into then it goes to the amp if that makes any difference I don't know

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt use any resistors with my 2014 non alpine. I also have my amps all high level so they are straight connected without a processor/eq/dsp in the middle. This might make a difference but in any case, 0 resistors here, although I bought them.
What head unit do you have and what amps are you running?

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the stock Uconnect 5 head unit, and I have 2 sundown amps

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MajMike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ok, now I'm concerned about my planned install. I have the 8.4 non-Alpine system with 6 speakers. I already have some Focal components for the front doors, some AD Audio 6.5's for the rear doors, a 6.5 Digital Designs sub with BBox, a JBL 5 channel amp (model 4505) and a Clarion 7 band EQ.

Now, do I need these resistors too (and wtf are they really)?

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes you will need them, basically they put load on the system so that the head unit sees that the speakers are there, if they're not there the head unit will not see that you have any speakers attached so you put those to create the load
Ok, now I'm concerned about my planned install. I have the 8.4 non-Alpine system with 6 speakers. I already have some Focal components for the front doors, some AD Audio 6.5's for the rear doors, a 6.5 Digital Designs sub with BBox, a JBL 5 channel amp (model 4505) and a Clarion 7 band EQ.

Now, do I need these resistors too (and wtf are they really)?