Retro-fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Spyder ccfl's in my 2012 Ram with HID's. Love the lights but the light output from the HID's isn't what I had hoped and the beam pattern/cut off is a little cockeyed. Apparently this is due to Spyder using crappy projectors (expected that). Question is, where can I get GOOD projectors to replace what's in there now? I've looked at these retrofit sites and 99% of the projectors I see at bi-xenon. I have separate bulbs for my high beams so would no-xenon projectors still work?

Yes I know my beam patters aren't even. Its harder than I thought to get them perfect...lol (I'm approx. 100 feet back from the wall)
1st pic - HID's only
2nd pic - HID's plus my Rigid Dually's
3rd pic - HID's , Rigid Dually's and 20 inch Rigid Radiance Light bar

Attachments

• FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 73
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 70
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
    FullSizeRender3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Bixenon just means the single projector will act as low and high beams. I'm sure your dedicated high beam will still work. Theretrofitsource should have what you need.

It looks like your passenger side just needs a small twist.

OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bixenon just means the single projector will act as low and high beams. I'm sure your dedicated high beam will still work. Theretrofitsource should have what you need.

It looks like your passenger side just needs a small twist.

Yes I agree. But I can't twist it without cracking open the housing.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I left mine just loose enough to be able to rotate them :naughty:

I just ordered the new projectors and bulbs from TRS. I'm scared as hell about opening up these brand new headlights and replacing the projectors to be honest. Hope it goes well. *fingers crossed*

OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya so you might as well go balls out and upgrade them. Morimoto Mini H1 will probably be the ones to get. If you tell TRS what you are working on, they probably have an adapter plate to simplify things unless you are savvy with cutting metal.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...to-retro-quik-system-spyder.html#.VwKaNk_2bcs

And before you button it all up, make sure those cutoffs are where you want them.

Just got off the phone with TRS and ordered them and new bulbs since I'm sure the bulbs that came with the headlights aren't the best quality. I'm just scared as hell about opening up brand new headlights. Never done it before

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered the new projectors and bulbs from TRS. I'm scared as hell about opening up these brand new headlights and replacing the projectors to be honest. Hope it goes well. *fingers crossed*

It's not hard but honestly it is a pita. My advice take your time.

This is not a task you want to rush through. In the end make sure you seal them up really good.

OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not hard but honestly it is a pita. My advice take your time.

This is not a task you want to rush through. In the end make sure you seal them up really good.

Yeah. They way my work schedule is set up I work 10 days and have 5 days off. So I'll do it on my 5 days off and take my time. And trust me, I'm going to seal the crap out of those lights. Lol

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Try to track down some youtube videos or maybe even a walk through on TRS. Someone should be able to get you the right oven temp and time. It may take a couple of trips to the oven as it will cool as you work on it. Just watch the tabs that bolt on the truck when digging into it. I got so focused on digging screwdriver in, that I didn't realize I was leaning on the tab bending it. Luckily it bent back with some heat. As Rzrman said, take your time.

I found that a pair of leather gardening gloves helped from me burning my hands. Also use a clean towel to work on. Last thing you want is to scratch the headlight lens. The Butyl they sell is good stuff. You can probably get some at home depot or whatever. Caulk is not the answer. It works but the butyl is better in my opinion.

TRS is really good with their customer support, IMO. You run into trouble, call em up. They taught me a few tricks over the years.

OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to track down some youtube videos or maybe even a walk through on TRS. Someone should be able to get you the right oven temp and time. It may take a couple of trips to the oven as it will cool as you work on it. Just watch the tabs that bolt on the truck when digging into it. I got so focused on digging screwdriver in, that I didn't realize I was leaning on the tab bending it. Luckily it bent back with some heat. As Rzrman said, take your time.

I found that a pair of leather gardening gloves helped from me burning my hands. Also use a clean towel to work on. Last thing you want is to scratch the headlight lens. The Butyl they sell is good stuff. You can probably get some at home depot or whatever. Caulk is not the answer. It works but the butyl is better in my opinion.

TRS is really good with their customer support, IMO. You run into trouble, call em up. They taught me a few tricks over the years.

Yeah. I spent 20 min on the phone with them already and watched their videos. They were back ordered on the Butyl so I got some off eBay. Their video says bake at 270° for 7 minutes