RF Hub fried from leaking window.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tul9033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Limited and back then had no idea there was an issue with the rear slider or the 3rd brake light. I found that if I left the side steps manually extended the battery would be dead overnight. I took it in for something else and mentioned this problem. They replaced the rear slider, 3rd gasket, and I thought they said the BCM. Anyway, once I got it back and found out what the issue was, sure enough the headliner was water stained back there.
I'm thankful I ordered my truck without E Torque. Most Limited's had it and even back then people were telling stories of their truck sitting for several weeks waiting for warranty replacement batteries. Isn't E Torque standard now?

DDRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured I'd ask here. Truck got rear window replaced for the leak. Started it up this morning to get it to the dealer, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. I thought christmas was over, truck said nope. Had every single warning and light on. Service ESC, service Airbag, forward collision not working, service ABS. Drove it to the dealer, wouldn't go past 3rd gear. Bought a new battery thinking low voltage, still didn't fix it. Now the truck will not start, will not lock and unlock with the key fob (definitely bad RF hub).

Dealer ordered a new RF hub and coming in Tuesday even though they didn't actually diagnose it yet, I showed them pictures of the RF hub having water on it, and the internal board having corrosion from water.
Would a bad RF hub send out all those messages or would it be in conjunction with something else?

Thanks for your input guys.
Had the same issue with my 2020 RAM 1500. Multiple times. First time said the window was leaking. TSB requires the customer complaint to repair under warranty. Last time they said the body side aperture exhauster was leaking. One of these is located either side of the RFHUB. Ref YouTube videos on these. RAM knows this is a problem but has taken no action to address it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I hope they did. My window is different than the pictures I see of leaking windows with a cracked frame. There’s no visible frame on mine. I assume that’s the change but can they still leak - I hope they dont???
View attachment 534368
You can't see the frame from the outside. Look at the rear window from inside the cab and you'll see the frame. They did update the rear window but the jury is out as to whether they have fixed the issue with the frame cracking. So far ours hasn't cracked or leaked after having it replaced last spring.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
$5,000 for a battery + $1,500 for disposal of the old one! Who do they think they are, Tesla? Before I did that I would buy one off the internet and dump the old one in a dumpster somewhere.

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Figured I'd ask here. Truck got rear window replaced for the leak. Started it up this morning to get it to the dealer, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. I thought christmas was over, truck said nope. Had every single warning and light on. Service ESC, service Airbag, forward collision not working, service ABS. Drove it to the dealer, wouldn't go past 3rd gear. Bought a new battery thinking low voltage, still didn't fix it. Now the truck will not start, will not lock and unlock with the key fob (definitely bad RF hub).

Dealer ordered a new RF hub and coming in Tuesday even though they didn't actually diagnose it yet, I showed them pictures of the RF hub having water on it, and the internal board having corrosion from water.
Would a bad RF hub send out all those messages or would it be in conjunction with something else?

Thanks for your input guys.
Hey, I just bought a 5th gen and turned in my 3rd gen. I had a rear window leak on the 3rd gen that soaked my floor. I learned that its not the window seals leaking, because they all do, but it was because the drain holes in the window track inside the cab were blocked, full of dirt. Does it work the same way on 5th gen??? Just thought I'd throw this out there... I cleaned my track drain holes (2 of them) and voila! no more "window leak". If this is extraneous information - sorry. Happy new year all !!

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Probably not extraneous at all. I’ve seen pictures of cracks in frames of earlier windows that appeared to be the cause of many leaks. But if a track drain gets stopped up that sounds like another possibility.

nstoolman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I removed the rear seats and back panel. Vacuumed. Then took a Z- lock baggy and slipped it over the top of the RF-hub. I did not cover it completely so it can vent any heat. I also did the window sealer treatment, replaced the 3RD brake light put a bead around the Shark Fin. I do have some very feint signs of water stains but no damage. All of this done prior to the letter that came out.

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got the same news, but maybe worse. I have a garage kept 2020 Ram 1500 with under 35K miles. Dealership had my truck for a week to diagnose the leak ruined the RF Hub AND the eTorque battery. A $13,000 estimate. Limited Warranty just expired and Extended Warranty won’t cover it. Unreal how many similar stories. This is really sad.
I am taking my 2020 1500, with rear window slider, into the dealer this week regarding LEAKS. I noticed a water drip line on the 'top inside' of the rear window which I thought may indicate the 3rd 'upper' brake light leaking. Then while investigating I noticed (small, very hard to see) 2 cracks in the upper portion of the plastic window frame. Then felt around under the seat and found a damp towel. There are two TSB's for years 2019-2021, that address both the 3rd brake light leak (TSB 23-074-23) and the rear window leak (TSB 23-098-23). These also extend the warranty period for the issues to 10 years and 8 years. Hope mine...And yours are covered.

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope they did. My window is different than the pictures I see of leaking windows with a cracked frame. There’s no visible frame on mine. I assume that’s the change but can they still leak - I hope they dont???
View attachment 534368
My 2020 rear window is exactly the same as this photo on the outside of the truck...But the inside has a plastic frame where I found 2 cracks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2020 rear window is exactly the same as this photo on the outside of the truck...But the inside has a plastic frame where I found 2 cracks.
Yeah, he is mistaken about his window not having a frame. All rear sliding windows in 5th gens have this frame. The only rear windows without a frame are solid (non slider) rear windows that you can get with the Tradesman models.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I said “no visible frame” which I meant visible from the exterior. Perhaps I could have been clearer. I realize it has a frame.

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That makes me sick to my stomach. I am totally covered through 137K miles for anything that might go wrong. However, a 13K repair bill would be catastrophic. There should be NO 2 component parts that require a 13K bill. Maybe if your engine totally ***** the bed, but NOT an RF Hub and etorque battery (I have etorque)
$1,200 just for them to diagnos the issue and then $2,500 just for the core change on the battery….flipping ridiculous! Then add up the new parts.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nope. Leaking would be a manufacturer issue and not covered. I would essentially have to roll my truck into a lake.
I think i'd throw a rock through the back window,just before a rain storm,then claim a lawn mower or neighbour kid must of damaged the window,with-out me noticing,until after it quit raining,lol

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I said “no visible frame” which I meant visible from the exterior. Perhaps I could have been clearer. I realize it has a frame.
Haha...okay.

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think i'd throw a rock through the back window,just before a rain storm,then claim a lawn mower or neighbour kid must of damaged the window,with-out me noticing,until after it quit raining,lol

I just got the same news, but maybe worse. I have a garage kept 2020 Ram 1500 with under 35K miles. Dealership had my truck for a week to diagnose the leak ruined the RF Hub AND the eTorque battery. A $13,000 estimate. Limited Warranty just expired and Extended Warranty won’t cover it. Unreal how many similar stories. This is really sad.
So, I am still fighting with RAM about the above $13k estimate to replace the back window, RF Hub, and eTorque battery. My truck just happens to NOT be covered under the extended warranty they issued for these rear window leaks, although they recognize the issue and “see it all the time.” Just getting the run around.

Everything I read says this is not a recall scenario because it does not create a safety concern. This makes me wonder if there are any safety concerns related to a malfunctioning RF Hub or eTorque battery. Thought I would put this out there to see if anyone smarter than I might know of any safety concerns that could result from water leaking onto a poorly placed RF Hub and eTorque battery when RAM knows the back window has issues with leaking. Thoughts?

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you clarify...Why would your truck not be covered by the TSB? What reason did the dealer give, ie- Build Date, Not A Sliding Window, Incorrect Sales Code...Or?? The reason will help me and others to understand what other obstacles may be encountered...Thanks In Advance.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, I joined this forum in 2014 and have been reading about this “Rear window leak” since I joined. You’d think they would have this fixed by now, let alone cover the problems under warranty. I’m sorry to read about your experiences. My 2012 Ram 1500 Express never experienced this leak, luckily. I’m concerned about my new 2024 Ram 2500 coming as it has the power sliding rear window. Definitely going to keep up on this thread (and others).

Adam

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
View attachment 534368
That looks just the same as My 2014 sport, I use the window a few times when buying 14 ft baseboards, window casing and such, I do protect it with a rubber matt. Mine sits in the garage as well

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am taking my 2020 1500, with rear window slider, into the dealer this week regarding LEAKS. I noticed a water drip line on the 'top inside' of the rear window which I thought may indicate the 3rd 'upper' brake light leaking. Then while investigating I noticed (small, very hard to see) 2 cracks in the upper portion of the plastic window frame. Then felt around under the seat and found a damp towel. There are two TSB's for years 2019-2021, that address both the 3rd brake light leak (TSB 23-074-23) and the rear window leak (TSB 23-098-23). These also extend the warranty period for the issues to 10 years and 8 years. Hope mine...And yours are covered.
Took it in to the dealer, they tested and confirmed the cracks and LEAKING rear 'backlite' window. Service advisor was going to charge me $210 to evaluate/diagnose,..once they found it leaking he said he felt 'bad', and that it was only going to be $100,..then he said 'ah' I don't think I'll charge you anything...However, your vehicle is NOT covered for repair and that the estimated cost is $1,362 for a new backlite. He did not know anything about the TSB's, until I told/showed him, and in his service record he quoted a very old (12/7/21) TSB. I advised him that there was an updated 10/4/23 TSB, which he located but did not update in my service record. The next day I contacted RamCares via this site and they responded within 12 days, which I think is pretty good based upon other's experiences. I subsequently had a meeting with the Service Manager and showed him photo's of water running down around the RF Hub, Battery, pooling water on the inertia seat belt mechanism and elsewhere, MOLD growing and beginning to travel throughout, etc. That same day he contacted his District Manager and got approval for replacing the rear backlite and I'm now waiting for the parts to arrive. Hoping this resolves my issue and that the NEW Backlite frame holds up. Something interesting..On 11/20/23, in the mail, I did receive the CHMSL warranty extension, but not the one for the Backlite. When I looked at the CHMSL warranty extension online it showed an initial release date of 6/21/23..that is a 5 month delay?? This is what I queried RamCares about..'WHEN IS MY BACKLITE WARRANTY EXTENSION COMING'? (Also, update to my orig. post..My build date is January 2020, mileage 28,730, purchased 9/29/20). This is a bit 'long-winded' but there may be something above that will inform or help others.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357