...ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
...hello guys, so i have a 2019 ram single cab classic with 2 wheel drive and 6 cylinder engine and happy with my truck except ride coulld be smoother...it came with a tradesman package that included 20 inch wheels and 60 series tires...would someone have experience re changes to an eg 17 inch wheel and perhaps 75 series to improve ride as i have a back problem ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a bad back as well, 2 series of metal implants later I'm still standing, barely but still standing. First time I ever heard this, in fact 99.99% of the time Ram has the best ride quality over the other big 2, in fact I was a Ford guy my entire life but had to get this ram because the coil back suspension is way better then anything ford or chevy had.

If you want smooth, I guess look at air bag suspension. You feel like the issue is the front end or back?

From all I have heard 20 inch gives better ride quality, of course you can lower psi with 17's, but I wouldn't recommend that for a daily driver.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thuren King suspension, stage 1, and depending if you plan to load or tow heavy you could decide on 17's with passenger if C rated tires based on your needs. That will soften it up right.

I'm running similar with the stage 2, and it's smooth and doesn't bother my wife's sensitive back either.

OP
OP
D

Dennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
...hello guys, so i have a 2019 ram single cab classic with 2 wheel drive and 6 cylinder engine and happy with my truck except ride coulld be smoother...it came with a tradesman package that included 20 inch wheels and 60 series tires...would someone have experience re changes to an eg 17 inch wheel and perhaps 75 series to improve ride as i have a back problem ?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You could easily go to the stock 17" wheel with the 265/70/17 tires and it will soften the ride quite a bit as long as you stay with a P rated tire - it will also not handle as well as the 20's in the bends.

I went the other way from the stock 17's to 20's and the 20's are much firmer - but I like it this way more, but I don't mind a truck ride.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If your not towing heavy or at all put 17s on it with as tall a light truck tire as you can without exceeding the stock tire height to keep the speedometer as close to right as possible . If its off too much it can be recalibrated to the tire and wheel you install. Back in the olden times trucks came with 15s and many of us lived to talk about it still today.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get some aftermarket 17” wheels with P rated 285/70/17 Tires That way you can enjoy a variety of cool looking wheels and stock height tires and you can run them at 32-35psi . They’ll exceed factory weight support specs at those psi. Stock suspension should be fairly soft already.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OR if you want to run the 285/70/17 tire, the stock Rebel wheels look decent and are wide enough.
The stock 17 X 7" wide wheels are too narrow for that tire - handling will really suffer.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Dennie, if your back is that bad, maybe a truck is no longer a suitable vehicle for you. That being said, when I drove 3500s, guys were replacing the driver’s seat with hydraulic seats to get a smoother ride. I was younger then so this mod didn’t interest me, so I can’t supply any details.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could easily go to the stock 17" wheel with the 265/70/17 tires and it will soften the ride quite a bit as long as you stay with a P rated tire - it will also not handle as well as the 20's in the bends.

This would be my recommendation too. Use the lowest tire pressure recommended for your actual situation (IE, towing, hauling).

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the base 17" wheels on my 2017 RCSB. I'm not sure how much the 20's make a difference, but I know the tires do. I had the original Badyears, replaced them with another GY (under warranty), and now have Continentals (highway tread), and the Conti's are so much better. I would look at tire rack and see what tire rates best on ride and quietness from consumers and go from there. Also, the door jam in mine calls for 40 psi when cold. The dealer at the last oil change dropped them to 35, and it made them even a little bit more comfortable. Good luck!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dennie, if your back is that bad, maybe a truck is no longer a suitable vehicle for you. That being said, when I drove 3500s, guys were replacing the driver’s seat with hydraulic seats to get a smoother ride. I was younger then so this mod didn’t interest me, so I can’t supply any details.

It would be some work, but good point, nothing like an air seat. Drove a truck for a decade with an air seat, it was such an improvement over then our rigs that didn't have them I can't even tell you. Take out the bench seat and put back air drivers seat, maybe a grand.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It would be some work, but good point, nothing like an air seat. Drove a truck for a decade with an air seat, it was such an improvement over then our rigs that didn't have them I can't even tell you. Take out the bench seat and put back air drivers seat, maybe a grand.

Sounds like a grand well spent.

OP
OP
D

Dennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
...appreciate all the comments here and think will first try going to 265/70 with 17 wheels and take the curves a litte slower !

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry but don’t by a “truck” and expect limo ride quality. Trade it in on a Pacifica!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They actually ride pretty closely, the Pacifica and Ram
However, the Pacifica seat is pretty firm.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
...appreciate all the comments here and think will first try going to 265/70 with 17 wheels and take the curves a litte slower !

Stay with a P rated tire, don't go LT unless you need it for off road protection.
The Michelin Defenders ride pretty nicely, even in the LT version - very soft sidewalls.

For the P size, don't rule out Continental Surecontact at NTB - a very quiet riding tire. My son preferred those over the Michelin Defenders he has on now.

OP
OP
D

Dennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
...so the saga continues and comments re P rated and tire brands appreciated...today I went to the dodge dealer and test drove a truck almost like mine with the goodyear wranglers but with 265/70 by 17 and compared to my tire noise was down 15-20 percent but ride quality improved only 10-15%...got home and went on Amazon and ordered an air seat truck cushion and will try that first before switching out wheels/tires...

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I normally sell the OE 20's and replace them with 17" . More tires for me to choose from without being forced to buy E rated when I go to taller tires which translates into a softer ride. Another plus is on a 4x4 the tires have more sidewall which works better off-road and looks more like a 4x4 with some taller sidewalls.