Ridiculous shifts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

Finally approaching 500 miles on my truck and decided to wail on it from a stop up thru about 4th or 5th, damn, the shifts are soooo soft and drawn out! Will a Pedal Commander help with this or do I need something else? Pretty sure it's RAM's version of torque management trying to "save" the tranny from destruction...

Russ

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you drove it softly for the first 500 miles its "learned" that's your driving style and adjusted itself accordingly. I would disconnect the battery for an hour hook it back up and then drive the hell out of and it should relearn to be more aggressive which is what you're looking for. Of course the pedal commander wouldn't hurt either. I have one on my truck and it works great as far as I'm concerned.

OP
OP
RASelkirk

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I've been driving it soft so far. Does the PC help the shifts or is it throttle response only?

Russ

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Throttle response only. But it is so worth it!!

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying this now

Also I noticed with my maestro and radio that the default throttle position is 8%. I wonder what the peddle commander sets it at.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im sure it depends on what pc setting you use. If Im cruising along and adjust settings, say to sport, I can feel/hear the rpms change and sometimes it will downshift due to pc throttle response

Jamrock09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just a heads up, i ran the PC on my 2014 no issues no codes. my 2018 I ran the pc for almost a month and it threw a code.. effen weird cause i really like the pc.\
I had to take it off and disconnect the battery. but other then that i hate these buttery shift also.

OP
OP
RASelkirk

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went on a nice little 80 mile round trip for lunch, had two bozos with their own separate right-turn lanes (one in a 75 zone, the other was 50) almost stop in my lane to make their turns instead of moving over. Both times I "raged" and punched it from a slow roll, one of those shifts around 60 - 70 was so weak it never actually shifted so I had to lift. Felt like it revved to 6k or so while never gaining speed. I'm gonna have to look for some trans programming. On the upside, my mileage average went from 13.2 to 15.8 with a bit of highway driving...

Russ

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
drive in tow haul like I do 24/7 since 2011.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I've been told that's bad if you aren't actually towing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I would not think so myself, raises shift points and keeps the transmission in each gear alittle longer.
I see it as its going to shify at higher rpms and not lug down being in to high of a gear because it shifted sooner than it needed to.
I run in TH as well and allways have since they started putting TH on trucks.
:)

OP
OP
RASelkirk

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
drive in tow haul like I do 24/7 since 2011.

I did a short bit with it and it just seemed to increase the shift points. I'll try that again for a longer stretch and see about the firmness.

Russ

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've been told that's bad if you aren't actually towing

Which is why I said I have been doing since 2011 w/o issue. I just read an article that said it was better for the transmission, I will try and find it. Who told you it was bad?

It's my opinion the factory shift points are bad for the truck. I would get bogging in third and fourth gear around town until I started using TH mode.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here ya go, from allpar.

Some models had a “Tow/Haul” mode made faster shifts to cut wear on the transmission, and reduced gear searching by holding lower gears longer, also choosing lower gears when going downhill to increase engine braking.

I've been using TH since I figured it out in 2011, and I will use it for the life of the truck 24/7. It is second nature at this point to hit the TH button after starting my truck. Keeps the truck in higher rpm's all the time instead of that weak ass changing gears in low rpm's. They called that **** freeway gearing in the 1990 fords, they said it was for "comfort". It's a load of ****, these engines were made to be in higher rpm's, nothing but good can come from it.

Last edited: