Rough Idle, Poor Mileage and Weak Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Doherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi,

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L. About a month ago I had my spark plugs changed. I also had the coils changed. Right afterwards I started experiencing very poor gas mileage. Went from 16mpg on the highway to less than 12. It was also running a little rougher than usual. I thought it may be a bad plug. I pushed it hard to see if I could get the check engine light to come on. I did. Got a PO308 Misfire cylinder 8 message. I took it back to the mechanic who put in the plugs, and he told me I needed a new camshaft and lifters. I took his word for it (since I had just replaced the plugs and coils) and did that replacement. Got my truck back yesterday and Im still seeing the crappy gas mileage, rough idle and acceleration that seems to be more sluggish than normal. The check engine light has not returned after replacing the cam and lifters. But I haven't pushed it like I did a month ago. I replaced the spark plugs with NGK 92174. Ive read that you want the original copper. And that is what I thought I bought. Did I get the wrong ones? Could these spark plugs be the culprit? I have a K&N Air filter that was cleaned a few months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose where these issues are coming from and where I should start looking?

Thanks

Chris

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve heard of people having problems with them. I never used anything but the champions and never had a problem. If they were the plugs you changed over to and your mpg went down then I would say that’s where to look first!

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mechanic must have cut a vacuum hose . I would take it to the dealer. That mechanic sucks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Others may have some good suggestions

Have you tried taking it back to mechanic who did the repair and asking him to double check everything regarding your concerns ? If there's no Cel then it's hard to argue something definitive, so far it's just your opinion which is subjective.

How much was the cam and lifters? How many miles?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Mechanic must have cut a vacuum hose . I would take it to the dealer. That mechanic sucks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't ever take an out of warranty truck to the dealer, you'll get Uber screwed. Find another reputable local shop if anything

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would look for a vacuum leak, or maybe replace the MAP sensor. They can slowly fail and not throw a CEL

OP
OP
C

Chris Doherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have you tried taking it back to mechanic who did the repair and asking him to double check everything regarding your concerns ? If there's no Cel then it's hard to argue something definitive, so far it's just your opinion which is subjective.

How much was the cam and lifters? How many miles?[/QUOTE]

My mechanic told me it was running fine. It is very subjective, except for the gas mileage. I notice the difference in how it drives and accelerates, but not sure if someone who didn't fully know the before and after would notice. But the gas mileage is 25-30% worse than it was a month ago. I track my mileage as opposed to looking at what the computer says, so I know exactly when something is not as it should be.

I spent around $800 on the cam and lifters. It has 215,000 miles on it.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
When I picked it up, he told me it was driving well. I notice the difference from how it originally drove and of course the mileage. Not sure if someone else who is not fami

My mechanic told me it was running fine. It is very subjective, except for the gas mileage. I notice the difference in how it drives and accelerates, but not sure if someone who didn't fully know the before and after would notice. But the gas mileage is 25-30% worse than it was a month ago. I track my mileage as opposed to looking at what the computer says, so I know exactly when something is not as it should be.

I spent around $800 on the cam and lifters. It has 215,000 miles on it.
Did they replace timing chain & components?
That many miles they should have.
No more labor charge just cost of parts.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sometime the oil from the filter can cake up the map sensor, would be easy and quick to clean or change it and see if that helps.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
$800 for everything or just parts? That kind of job cost about $3k where I live

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Have a feeling something wasn't done correctly on rebuild or sensor was damaged but you need codes to troubleshoot.......do you know of anyone in your area that is good at data logging.
If you are in NC I would recommend Petty's Garage in Randleman.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I think I read somewhere that the coil packs changed in 2014 along with the spark plugs. That could be the issue; I'd double check your service invoice and compare those parts to what the dealership recommends for the year of your truck.
$800 for cam and lifters sounds like BS, I would ask to see my cam to verify the damage.