Poor acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it’s cats. The tail pipe will sound like it’s hissing when you rev it

Hissing can be a sign but not a for sure thing. Mine has a little bit of a hiss and I assure you they are not clogged.

Trashy2121

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a build sheet and see what the rear end gearing is. A hellcat geared too high wont spin tires.

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Get a build sheet and see what the rear end gearing is. A hellcat geared too high wont spin tires.
It doesn't accelerate from a stop hardly at all and I have to floor it to make it go after it gets speed up. This is why I am stumped.
Engine revs just fine when in park. Sounds good idling. If it had a carb I would say it is loading up like too much gas then finally goes.
Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Maybe air filter. Not sure if yours has trip reset button ? If it does you could hold button down & turn key to on .(Not start) & the odometer should give codes.
I change the air filter every oil change which is 7500 miles. I will try your recommendation too!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Firstly, I own a 2013 Ram Tradesman with the 4.7L engine. I inherited from my father. It has a few issues I am working on.
I don't have much money at the moment, going through a divorce, so I am hoping with all the experience here someone can help figure this out.

It accelerates so slowly and will not even spin the tires. I managed to change the plugs before I had shoulder surgery but it made no difference.
To me it feels like it is loading up then finally it accelerates. But I do not know what to do next.
The truck drives and seems to run good otherwise. Engine idles good.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
You are probably geared 3:55.
My 2014 5.7 Hemi was geared 3:55 with the 6-speed transmission.....it was a dog off the line & would not spin wheels.
The 8-speed transmission are a huge improvement with the very low 1st gear.
Even with a tune on the 6-speed it still was bad off the line.
Only thing you can do is live with it if you cannot afford to change the gear ratio to 4:56 in the differentials which is what I did along with a stall convertor & it was a big improvement.
The 8-speed swap is another option but that is costly also.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Going from a 33 inch to a 30 tire would help slightly but that's another expensive & speedometer recalibrate

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
You are probably geared 3:55.
My 2014 5.7 Hemi was geared 3:55 with the 6-speed transmission.....it was a dog off the line & would not spin wheels.
The 8-speed transmission are a huge improvement with the very low 1st gear.
Even with a tune on the 6-speed it still was bad off the line.
Only thing you can do is live with it if you cannot afford to change the gear ratio to 4:56 in the differentials which is what I did along with a stall convertor & it was a big improvement.
The 8-speed swap is another option but that is costly also.
The build sheet says 3.55 for the rear diff. I might have made it even worse by going with the 6" lift and 35" BFG tires!
Will look around to see if anyone else has done the swap before moving forward that direction.

I appreciate the reply, it was not an angle I had looked at.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The build sheet says 3.55 for the rear diff. I might have made it even worse by going with the 6" lift and 35" BFG tires!
Will look around to see if anyone else has done the swap before moving forward that direction.

There's your issue right there,dump the lift and tires and you'll probably have alot more power out of your 4.7.Whatever possessed you to think that little 4.7 will pull heavy a$$ed 35's and be happy.Even if you regear it to 4.56's which is gonna take a pile of money,as you'll need to find the earlier AAM diff and all the brackets/driveshaft etc. to bolt it in place then swap the gears in both diffs to 4.56's,it's still not going to have all that much power with a 6" lift and 35's.
It's a tiny engine pulling a heavy truck,and you really compounded the problem by lifting it and hanging heavy tires on it,i'll lay odds there's nothing wrong with the truck,that isn't caused by you

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

Your actual gear ratio probably about 3:31 now with the taller tires
Should find several on here that have done a gear change.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
There's your issue right there,dump the lift and tires and you'll probably have alot more power out of your 4.7.Whatever possessed you to think that little 4.7 will pull heavy a$$ed 35's and be happy.Even if you regear it to 4.56's which is gonna take a pile of money,as you'll need to find the earlier AAM diff and all the brackets/driveshaft etc. to bolt it in place then swap the gears in both diffs to 4.56's,it's still not going to have all that much power with a 6" lift and 35's.
It's a tiny engine pulling a heavy truck,and you really compounded the problem by lifting it and hanging heavy tires on it,i'll lay odds there's nothing wrong with the truck,that isn't caused by you
Uh.....you beat me to the post/punch..... LoL