Poor acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Firstly, I own a 2013 Ram Tradesman with the 4.7L engine. I inherited from my father. It has a few issues I am working on.
I don't have much money at the moment, going through a divorce, so I am hoping with all the experience here someone can help figure this out.

It accelerates so slowly and will not even spin the tires. I managed to change the plugs before I had shoulder surgery but it made no difference.
To me it feels like it is loading up then finally it accelerates. But I do not know what to do next.
The truck drives and seems to run good otherwise. Engine idles good.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got an OBD2 bluetooth dongle? You can do quite a lot of diagnostic work with JSCAN and a dongle..

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Not familiar with JSCAN. What is it and how can I get it?
Thanks for the reply.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not familiar with JSCAN. What is it and how can I get it?
AlfaOBD is capable of reading codes off all the vehicle control modules, read running engine parameters, test vehicle systems and even make configuration changes.
It's both an Android app and a Windows computer program, both of which connects to the truck with a Bluetooth OBD module (preferably the OBDLink MX+)
It's quite popular on this forum, there's an entire thread in the 4th gen DIY section of the forum.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People divide up into camps of JSCAN or AlfaOBD just like iphone/android, mac/pc, ford/chevy/ram, whatever.

They both do the thing. You can read about JSCAN from jscan.net

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A scanner will only really help if you have an engine light on.

How many miles?

You changed the plugs, and that's a good start. How about the air filter? Clean the throttle body. Run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it, mixed in a tank of premium gas.

Reset the computers in it. Newer vehicles learn how you drive and if your dad always drove it like an old man that's how it will want to run. Unhook the negative battery cable, push the break pedal to drain any leftover juice, wait ten minutes, then reconnect.

The 4.7 isn't a monster engine, and if you have a low gearing in the rear end for economy it may not break the tires loose at all. It wasn't "fast" the day your father bought it brand new.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Firstly, I own a 2013 Ram Tradesman with the 4.7L engine. I inherited from my father. It has a few issues I am working on.
I don't have much money at the moment, going through a divorce, so I am hoping with all the experience here someone can help figure this out.

It accelerates so slowly and will not even spin the tires. I managed to change the plugs before I had shoulder surgery but it made no difference.
To me it feels like it is loading up then finally it accelerates. But I do not know what to do next.
The truck drives and seems to run good otherwise. Engine idles good.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
If you're comparing it to the 2017 3.6 in your avatar,the 3.6 with the 8 speed is noticably faster compared to a 2013 4.7 with the 6 speed.Even when the 4.7 was new,it wasn't a tire spinner

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
and will not even spin the tires
Not sure that my 6.4 Hemi will. Like others have said, that engine isn't a monster when in perfect shape. Checking codes is a good idea but you might try to compare with some other 4.7 owners or do some research about acceleration #s and see if you even have a problem.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My old 2013 regular cab shortbox with the 4.7 and 3.55's was about as light a truck you could buy,and brand new it was no tire spinner,with CAI /catback and 5 hours on the dyno it was a bit quicker,but it still wasn't what i'd call a tire spinner.I thought about sticking a set of 3.92's and a 3500 stall convertor in it,then reality set in,and i traded it off,with less then 13,000.00 miles on it,lol

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
If you're comparing it to the 2017 3.6 in your avatar,the 3.6 with the 8 speed is noticably faster compared to a 2013 4.7 with the 6 speed.Even when the 4.7 was new,it wasn't a tire spinn

Not sure that my 6.4 Hemi will. Like others have said, that engine isn't a monster when in perfect shape. Checking codes is a good idea but you might try to compare with some other 4.7 owners or do some research about acceleration #s and see if you even have a problem.

If you're comparing it to the 2017 3.6 in your avatar,the 3.6 with the 8 speed is noticably faster compared to a 2013 4.7 with the 6 speed.Even when the 4.7 was new,it wasn't a tire spinner
This truck doesn't even speed up when I push the gas. It feels like it stumbles or loads up then finally starts to pick up speed.
I have never had a truck that won't take off from a stop sign other than at a crawl.
I appreciate the response, it just feels like it should do much more than it is.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This truck doesn't even speed up when I push the gas. It feels like it stumbles or loads up then finally starts to pick up speed.
I have never had a truck that won't take off from a stop sign other than at a crawl.
I appreciate the response, it just feels like it should do much more than it is.
I know my old 13 was gutless till it hit about 3500 rpm,then it would start to get out of it's own way,but under 3500,it was very lack luster. My buddy had it on his dyno for 5 hours,and after he was done tweaking it,it was noticably better,but it still wasn't great.It would roll up a 135 mph when he was done,but it'd take about 4 miles to get there,lol

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I know my old 13 was gutless till it hit about 3500 rpm,then it would start to get out of it's own way,but under 3500,it was very lack luster. My buddy had it on his dyno for 5 hours,and after he was done tweaking it,it was noticably better,but it still wasn't great.It would roll up a 135 mph when he was done,but it'd take about 4 miles to get there,lol
LOL....I just think it should do more. Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking too

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
LOL....I just think it should do more. Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking too
I know you said you did the plugs,but did you get all 16 of them? There's a lower bank of plugs,and they're a differant plug from the upper bank.As stated by a few guys,see if you can get it scanned for any codes,but if it doesn't have a check engine light on,it probably doesn't have any serious codes.
You could run a bottle of this through the tank.

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I know you said you did the plugs,but did you get all 16 of them? There's a lower bank of plugs,and they're a differant plug from the upper bank.As stated by a few guys,see if you can get it scanned for any codes,but if it doesn't have a check engine light on,it probably doesn't have any serious codes.
You could run a bottle of this through the tank.

Yes sir, all 16 have been replaced, replaced with factory recommended plugs. Probably going to change the coil packs and wires next when I can.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sir, all 16 have been replaced, replaced with factory recommended plugs. Probably going to change the coil packs and wires next when I can.
If you aren't getting a misfire code there's no reason to change the packs. Don't just throw parts at the truck hoping things will get better.

I never did see a response on how many miles.

Your catalytic converter may be nearing the end of its life too. A clogged cat will definitely choke things off.

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
If you aren't getting a misfire code there's no reason to change the packs. Don't just throw parts at the truck hoping things will get better.

I never did see a response on how many miles.

Your catalytic converter may be nearing the end of its life too. A clogged cat will definitely choke things off.
I forgot to mention the miles, there are 128,000 miles on the truck. Is there an easy way to check the convertors?
Thanks for your reply

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to mention the miles, there are 128,000 miles on the truck. Is there an easy way to check the convertors?
Thanks for your reply
If your cats are clogging up usually the engine will bog down and struggle reaching higher RPMs. A clogged cat creates a lot of backpressure in the exhaust system.

128k isn't super high miles for a modern engine. Though I had cats get clogged up on a Grand Am with 125k and a Mustang with 75k. It does happen.

OP
OP
tnctx02

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
If your cats are clogging up usually the engine will bog down and struggle reaching higher RPMs. A clogged cat creates a lot of backpressure in the exhaust system.

128k isn't super high miles for a modern engine. Though I had cats get clogged up on a Grand Am with 125k and a Mustang with 75k. It does happen.
Any other ideas what might be the issue?
Thanks for your input

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe air filter. Not sure if yours has trip reset button ? If it does you could hold button down & turn key to on .(Not start) & the odometer should give codes.