Rough shift from second to first gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgenge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey I have a 2014 sport with 3500 miles on it. Over the last month I noticed when my truck is going from second to first it makes a jerky shift. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am going to call the dealer tomorrow because it seems to be getting worse.

nightrunner066

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 8 Speed
8 speed I'm guessing.. they all seem to do it sometimes. Mine only did it after i tuned it and the trans had to relearn it self

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
8 speed I'm guessing.. they all seem to do it sometimes. Mine only did it after i tuned it and the trans had to relearn it self

That's what I'm guessing is his Trans "learned" a bad habit of some sort

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 6spd in my 2014 6.4 Hemi does it terribly at times. It will actually chirp the rear tires on dry pavement or spin them on wet for a split second. Really annoying to say the least. Both dealers I've been to say there's nothing they know of to fix it. I'm at about 16K miles currently and it does seem to be getting better. When the truck was new it did it 90% of the time. It's much less frequent now but I also tend to avoid shifting into first unless I'm going under about 23mph.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Mine did it also when it was new hard 2-1 downshift but has learned now and it's perfect

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Is it downshifting because you're slowing to a stop or because your getting after the throttle?

I noticed these 8 speeds feel like your downshifting a manual trans when stopping. I'm pretty sure these hemi's cut the fuel when you're coasting so it relies on the trans to keep the engine spinning. With that much drag it'll feel a little rough as it shifts down, especially the 2-1 shift.

I have a 3.92s also for reference. Not sure that would make it any more or less rough than the 3.21s.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine occurs when coming to a stop. After reading this last night I've tried it a half dozen or so times today and it's been perfect. These trucks are so smart it's almost spooky.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are a ton of posts about this here and other forums. Some guys think it's worse than others. Some have even threatened legal action.I noticed it a lot more when ihad less mileage. I have 10k now. My advice is to give it alittle time and see if it gets better. But then again it would be wise to get it documented also. Iheard of Some getting theirs reprogrammed and that doing the trick. But that wasn't on the 5.7. I think it was the 3.6

Hey I have a 2014 sport with 3500 miles on it. Over the last month I noticed when my truck is going from second to first it makes a jerky shift. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am going to call the dealer tomorrow because it seems to be getting worse.

OP
OP
D

dgenge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank for all the info! Its good to hear that its not only my 8 speed doing this.

Yes it happens when coming to a complete stop. It never used to happen when the truck was new, but now happens fairly often. Its very annoying. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. I will let you all know what happens after I bring my truck in.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank for all the info! Its good to hear that its not only my 8 speed doing this.

Yes it happens when coming to a complete stop. It never used to happen when the truck was new, but now happens fairly often. Its very annoying. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. I will let you all know what happens after I bring my truck in.

yep there's been a few threads about it. there's a transmission update and some have reported it's gone away or does it far less with the update so make sure you have your dealer update it. mine went away at about 8000km then i got the update and it came back for a bit before going away again

i've had like 5 different theories on the cause but my latest is that it happens because 1st on the 8 speed is a really low gear and it might be shifting a bit too early causing a jerk. it seemed to be worse if MDS was active but i didn't really get around to testing more before mine stopped doing it

Last edited: