RTV gasket, or the one-piece gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I am fixing to replace the trans gasket (and fluid and filters) on my 2013 Ram 2500 HD, 5.7 L Hemi. The build sheet states I have the 66RFE Trans.

My local (trusted) parts dealer got me a kit, which includes the gasket.

This will be my first time doing this job on this truck.

I have watched some Youtube videos where the mechanics describe and show removing RTV gasket material, not a regular solid, one-piece gasket. It's possible the videos did not feature my exact trans...Should I expect to need to remove and replace RTV gasket, or the one-piece gasket?

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I used the Lubelocker for my 66RFE 2017 2500 No leak's used a 1/4 tork wrench in three steps. Ram uses a gray RTV from the factory, you have to get the surface, operating room clean. The pan bolts heads can strip rounding off the corners, I had to replace 2. Also replace the pan with the drain plug type.Was easier thn cleaning it. I used the Dorman pan with drain, changed the filters, and the Lubelocker pan gasket. uses no gasket or RTV.Torqued to 35,70,to final 105 in./lbs. NO leaks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeJP

MikeJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Yes, I will replace the pan with a new one with drain plug. I understand the existing gasket is likely a liquid type. But - the kit came with a one-piece gasket.

1. Do I use the one-piece gasket in addition to liquid/RTV?
2. Do I need to use Mopar "blue glue", or can I use a generic? I have red RTV sealant. Is the red RTV incompatible with the gasket I have?
3. Do I
A) apply the sealant to pan, then
B) place gasket on that, then
C) more sealant on top of gasket, then install pan? (I do understand the cleaning requirements on the mating surfaces...I have done this with motorcycles)
4. Or is the above too much sealant?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They use RTV from the factory, but I used a gasket instead when I swapped out my pan (PPE pan). Seems like most guys around here prefer the RTV, but it's been a few years and I haven't had any leaks or anything. I usually end up with more RTV on myself when I use it lol, so didn't have to deal with that. Plus it's easier next time around when/if pulling the pan. Just be sure to torque the bolts properly, in the correct sequence. Personally I wouldn't use the gasket AND RTV but many do.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I used the Lubelocker for my 66RFE 2017 2500 No leak's used a 1/4 tork wrench in three steps. Ram uses a gray RTV from the factory, you have to get the surface, operating room clean. The pan bolts heads can strip rounding off the corners, I had to replace 2. Also replace the pan with the drain plug type.Was easier thn cleaning it. I used the Dorman pan with drain, changed the filters, and the Lubelocker pan gasket. uses no gasket or RTV.Torqued to 35,70,to final 105 in./lbs. NO leaks.
This is spot on accurate and what I did and I have the same result. Highly recommended on the lube locker.

I spent the time to clean and reuse my OEM pan though. The drain plug is nice, but for how often I need to service my trans, not needed.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I generally only use RTV on the pan-side if I've got a stamped pan...mostly to hold the gasket in place but also to absorb any 'warp' from the stamped pan.

If you have a cast/machined pan, I don't usually worry about the RTV. In that case sequencing and proper torque is all that matters.

BolletuH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read that gaskets and the FACTORY pan have a higher potentiality of leaking. Aftermarket pans have nicely machined flat surfaces without grooves. This will allow a rubber gasket to mate damn near perfectly to transmission.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a gasket only, using RTV with the gasket allows the gasket to move around kind of like a lubricant and possibly slip out of place, and easier to disassemble the next time, RTV leaves a nasty mess to clean off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca