rubbing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caught3x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, new member here... Just bought my first dodge. Its a 2003 1500 4x4. Got 1 problem with it though. It sounds like a rubbing noise as I drive but tires aren't even close. changed the passenger side bearing because when i turn right it goes away. Not when i turn left. It also seems to go away if some weight is removed from the front end. IE... small bump on high way and truck lifts for a sec.... could it be the cv shaft? or the other bearing? I've looked and can't see anything that could be causing this noise...

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

Someone should chime in shortly

nepo313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey there caught3x. I just started experiencing the same problem you are describing, and hoping someone here can help.

To add more info to this issue: I noticed this started happening as I used my 4x4 option several times this past winter. The rubbing went away and then returned... more frequently in the past couple weeks. I've had experienced bad bearings in the past on smaller passenger cars and the rubbing doesn't sound the same. Maybe it's different since it's a truck.

I also noticed a drop in my mpg. I like to monitor my gas efficiency and it has decreased since the use of the 4x4 this winter. I believe the 4x4 option disengaged properly once I was finished with it.

Moreover, 3 weeks ago I drove to Dallas and back from Chicago over that weekend, which may have contributed to an underlying issue.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.