runaway 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waywardtravel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO
O.K. sorry about the book in advance. I just bought a 2004 quad cab 5.9 HO 4speed automatic export truck.. It did not run when I bought it. I plugged in a scanner and read two TPS codes 2021, 2022. First sprayed a tiny bit of ether and she started and idled good. Because the truck ran away on the previous owner I did not touch the pedal yet.
TODAY, disconnected the batt's I installed a TPS that I bought in the states.
I was able to clear the codes and was able to start it but only with a tiny bit of ether again. A pump ran for about 25 seconds after turning the key on. After shut down this pump noise did not return when restarting. The cold engine idle was good but worsened like a miss as it warmed up. I checked the infamous wire on the AC compressor and it looked good. With the scanner plugged in I noticed RPM on the cluster did not raise until about 1000RPM. It followed but about 500RPM slower than actual RPM. IN NUETRAL OR PARK I brought the RPM up slowly and right about 1500 it begins to rise on it's own. I turned the key off to stop it from full run away. I restarted now warm engine still needed a third crank over or a half second shot of ether on the third try. no ether previous two. This time I put it in gear and tested the brakes. This thing was parked for two years. The engine does not miss or it hides it better under load. If I only rev to about 1500RPM then let off the throttle quickly it decels "choppy" “neutral or 1st gear” the tps according to my scanner is sending a perfect signal to return to idle just the engine comes down choppy. Under load it seems I could drive it without run away but it tries to above 1500RPM or so but it's balanced by the load and slowly almost like all fuel being cut instantaneously comes down in about four or five cycles or pushes. It blows no smoke at all on start up black or grey. It triggers no DTC's but WILL run away in neutral. Any help is greatly appreciated I’m new to this common rail electronic stuff.