Running wires through the firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm planning to install a VHF ham radio in my 2017 RAM 1500 SLT (yes, I have a license). The radio is capable of putting out 50 watts of power, which means that I am going to have to wire it to the battery directly, I cannot use the cigarette lighter outlets because it will blow the fuse.

I have no past experience running wires through firewall but I saw this up under the driver side pedal area:
driver_firewall.jpg

And under the hood it looks like:

driver_firewall_ext.jpg

Can I just unbolt this thing and run wires through there??? I'm not sure what else it's for but it almost looks like it's made for this.

If the answer is no, then could you please suggest another area? My battery is on the driver side pretty close to there. Any other advice for running these cables or for the antenna cable, which I'm going to have to mount as well?

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's exactly the spot I was going to use. I'm going to run a grommet in there, then run a 8, 12 and 18 gauge wire through it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran my OEM backup camera wires thru there as well as my amp power wire thru there. Great place to pass wires thru!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I drilled out the circular center of that piece and inserted a rubber grommet.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
did the same- drilled out the center and used the rubber firewall boot as mentioned in the other thread. If you are passing a lot of wires, you might want to cut the smallest ridge off, and start with a larger opening. it gets harder to pass wires later on and the boot will invert itself. Ask me how I know.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always use the clutch block off plate as well in the trucks I do. Its easy to remove and drill a hole in and insert a grommet or you can drill it right in the truck if you chose. I used to try passing the wires through the rubber boot in the cab but it's a major pain. The clutch block off plate works just as well and is much easier

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got done taking that plate off, drilling it and reinstalling it. I'll say this, using a standard socket wrench sucks horribly. It was a pain in the ass to get the nuts off. When reinstalling it, I said F the socket wrench and used a ratcheting box end wrench. That is way easier and faster than a socket wrench. I wish I would have thought of it during the removal.

This is assuming you don't have a power tool that can do it.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I just got done taking that plate off, drilling it and reinstalling it. I'll say this, using a standard socket wrench sucks horribly. It was a pain in the ass to get the nuts off. When reinstalling it, I said F the socket wrench and used a ratcheting box end wrench. That is way easier and faster than a socket wrench. I wish I would have thought of it during the removal.

This is assuming you don't have a power tool that can do it.

I used my cordless drill with socket attachment. Makes for quick work :)

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with a socket/ratchet but quickly switched to an air ratchet

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I always use the clutch block off plate as well in the trucks I do. Its easy to remove and drill a hole in and insert a grommet or you can drill it right in the truck if you chose. I used to try passing the wires through the rubber boot in the cab but it's a major pain. The clutch block off plate works just as well and is much easier

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
^this for me too. I used this grommet/boot when I pulled wiring in that location. https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Univ...0&sr=1-1-25b07e09-600a-4f0d-816e-b06387f8bcf1

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
apologize if this is a duplicate, I thought I hit the post reply button the last time but maybe not. In any case, where did you place your antenna and how/where did you run the coax? I am just entering the HAM arena and was looking at options for my 2014 1500 crew.

Thanks, Tom