No rear driver side running light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codyyounkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 dodge ram 1500 Ok I’ve been fighting this issues and was just gonna run a new wire straight from Ficm instead of digging through the whole harness. No I don’t think my FICM is bad I had a heavy load one day quit working soon after. I believe I broke the wire. If anyone has any info on which wire from FICM is your rear driver side running light would be appreciated. Don’t feel like paying a shop bill.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First, I'm not a mechanic, although I used to do almost all my own work, before I got old and feeble.

I worked 40 years as an electronics technician, and the technician in me is wondering...

1. Are you talking about the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module), or the BCM (Body Control Module)?
2. Have you checked for 12v at the lamp socket?

You mention a heavy load and possible broken wire. If this is true, couldn't the broken wire be the ground? If so, and you run a new 12v supply line, the light still won't work.

Oh, and welcome to RamForum!

OP
OP
C

Codyyounkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sorry I meant the TIPM. My running light is the only thing that doesn’t work. The Break, turn signal and running light are all the same light. I haven’t checked for 12v for the running light but I did use just a test light and there was no power at all. I think if it was a ground nothing on the side would word no did clean one ground close to rear.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cool, sounds pretty thorough, to me at least but remember I'm feeble.

I don't have the details you've asked for but I will add this for your consideration. Quite a few folks here have had weird lighting issues resolved by identifying a problem with a socket, so there's that remote possibility.

We also had a guy experience a similar lighting trouble, his right side headlight would not come on no matter what he tried. He was able to trace the problem back to the TIPM and resolve it from that end.
If he posted details about exactly what he found and what he did I don't remember. It just sounds a little like you are heading in the same direction.

I have read many accounts from folks who were able to closely look over the TIPM for issues with loose fuses, relays, and generally poor connections, and resolve their issue without having to run a replacement wire.

Hopefully someone with detailed wiring data will chime in soon and you can finish this. I've never received a "repair ticket" in Pennsylvania but I hear they are nasty. Good luck.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So before I side-tracked the OP with my posts that were no help,
@Codyyounkin asked this question...

"If anyone has any info on which wire from TIPM is your rear driver side running light would be appreciated. Don’t feel like paying a shop bill."

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven’t checked for 12v for the running light but I did use just a test light and there was no power at all.

I'm not certain exactly what you're trying to say with this statement, it sounds a bit contradictory.

As mentioned, cleaning up the light sockets and connections to them is a good place to start and remember, you have a working model on the other side of the truck for comparison.

This link is for a 2010 1500 Service manual and might be helpful when tracing wires into and out of the TIPM.

The PDF manual is best viewed on a PC using a PDF viewer or browser. Search the content using the control F word search.

Please ask if you require further assistance with using this document. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Codyyounkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not certain exactly what you're trying to say with this statement, it sounds a bit contradictory.

As mentioned, cleaning up the light sockets and connections to them is a good place to start and remember, you have a working model on the other side of the truck for comparison.

This link is for a 2010 1500 Service manual and might be helpful when tracing wires into and out of the TIPM.

The PDF manual is best viewed on a PC using a PDF viewer or browser. Search the content using the control F word search.

Please ask if you require further assistance with using this document. :cool:

I was able to found it. Broken wire from the fuse box to the tail light. So I’m running a new wire the whole way back. Thanks for all the help!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to found it. Broken wire from the fuse box to the tail light. So I’m running a new wire the whole way back. Thanks for all the help!

Awesome! And, you're most welcome.

Was the manual any help?

Please let us know when you have that all fixed and any details that might help the next guy. :cool:

OP
OP
C

Codyyounkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! And, you're most welcome.

Was the manual any help?

Please let us know when you have that all fixed and any details that might help the next guy. :cool:

The fact that the manual was 3000 pages no I didn’t look through it all. What I did is found the running light wire (white with a lime green strip) from the tail light. Then I took out driver side fender liner and there is the connector from the rear that meets the front. The same color wire ran up there from the rear harness. I took my test light and found the power. I spliced it and ran a wire to light to make sure I got the correct one. Which I did. Then I actually ran the wire the way of the frame following harness.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fact that the manual was 3000 pages no I didn’t look through it all. What I did is found the running light wire (white with a lime green strip) from the tail light. Then I took out driver side fender liner and there is the connector from the rear that meets the front. The same color wire ran up there from the rear harness. I took my test light and found the power. I spliced it and ran a wire to light to make sure I got the correct one. Which I did. Then I actually ran the wire the way of the frame following harness.

Excellent work!

Using the PDF service manuals can be a bit of a daunting task. Using 'control F' to search for results helps to make it easier and you will get more comfortable, the more time you spend exploring it.

You might want to save the service manual for future reference if you have a PC.
And many of the members here could assist you in finding specific items if that's giving you grief.

The main thing is, you solved the problem. Congrats. :cool: