Rust on inside of chrome bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zacbar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I purchased a used chrome bumper to replace my dented rear bumper, got a great deal on it but there's a bit of surface rust on the inside of it. Wondering what the best method to tackle this would be?
Thinking of lightly sanding as much of it off as I can, and then applying some sort of rust covering paint? Anyone have any recommendations for a particular product to use? There's way too many different options (rust removers, rust converter, rust primer). Have also read some people have sprayed bedliner on the inside of their bumper to protect it from stone chips and what not. Would appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks and Happy Easter everyone.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
I would use a good rust converter then paint it with something like por15 or rustoleum to protect it.... could use bed liner as well.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Thanks, any recommendations for rust converters?
Last one i used was from walmart rustoleum brand spray can type . Did the frame on my previous truck then painted with a satin rustoleum black lasted for at least the 2 years that i did it before trading it in. I went this route as if i ever needed to touch up it would be easy but never needed to.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
I've had pretty good success with POR 15 on my classic cars. However as a caveat, you must closely follow the directions relative to the prep work. Good luck........

OP
OP
Z

zacbar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guy I appreciate the suggestions.
I crawled under my truck and took a look inside my existing bumper and noticed some surface rust too, so it must be pretty common on the inside of the chrome bumpers.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a Dodge, they are rust buckets out here in Alberta.