RUST, who's got it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

youshallnotpass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought the ram a year ago it's a 13' currently sitting at 34k miles. Rust is getting cancerous and starting to eat through the back side of my fenders and Hood to the paint, frame is also quite rusty. Anyone else's rust eating into the paint?

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow....just wow. And I thought living on the beach was rough on cars.

Last edited:

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Noticed some rust on the bottom of my tailgate. Very minor but for a 2014 with 29k miles.. interesting.

I have been meaning to get over to the dealer and seeing if the the 5 year 100k body panel corrosion warranty would do anything for that.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Is it the front fenders and hood that are showing the most rust? If so it could have had front end damage and been repaired with aftermarket sheet metal which fits ok and looks ok but sometimes will rust through fast especially if its not prepped right before paint.

Will_Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Annecdotally, it sure seems like I see more Rams with rust on the roads than Fords or Chevys. Anyone seem to pick up on the same?

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where is everyone from that’s having the rust problems? I’m in Northern California so I’ve obviously never had rust problems. Not even on my 03 Ram has 160k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
One of those things, you need to wash your truck real well in the winter and use something to protect it like Fluid Film every year.

Since I have bought my Ram I have been looking at trucks for rust and have noticed alot of different brands have rust over the bed sides but seems like there are more 3 gens than anything.

OP
OP
youshallnotpass

youshallnotpass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in southern Texas so no salty roads. I'm just debating weather or not to trade it in or just deal with it, aside from the rust I love the truck

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm in southern Texas so no salty roads. I'm just debating weather or not to trade it in or just deal with it, aside from the rust I love the truck
That truck must not be from that area then because even with aftermarket sheet metal I wouldn't think it would rust bad in south Texas. The rust is only visual so if you can live with it keep it.

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in upstate NY. We get a lot of snow, a lot of salt on the roads. Rust is always a problem up here. I just bought a new 17 Ram 1500. I see a lot of Rams that after a few years develop pretty good rust issues. Try to keep it clean, use prevent defense, otherwise just a fact of life up here.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Bought the ram a year ago it's a 13' currently sitting at 34k miles. Rust is getting cancerous and starting to eat through the back side of my fenders and Hood to the paint, frame is also quite rusty. Anyone else's rust eating into the paint?

Do you have any pics? I have a '12 that has spent its whole life in Maine. 55,000 and no rust. I have drenched it in fluid film many times though. I would have to guess that your truck has a bad story before you got it. My grandfather bought a gmc quite a while ago and it looked like it was in good shape, but after a little while the rust was popping up everywhere. It must have been used down on the water. Maybe your truck has the same past life.