RyanGSP's Big Horn Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully this is the right place for this.

I purchased this truck used to haul around a camping trailer and dive us around hunting. Mainly this truck will work vs play however some bolt on's will be added over time.

Specs are
2011 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn
Back up Sensors
Back up Camera
Heated Flip Out Tow Mirrors
Rear Sliding Window
Sun Roof
Bucket Seats
20" Rims
Tow Package
Alpine Sound System

Here it is when I picked it up

Left Side by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Right Side by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Interior by RyanGSP, on Flickr

I wanted to add some of my own touches so this weekend I painted the emblems, debadged, and removed the chrome belt molding covers.

Grill Emblem

DSC_0564 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Grill Emblem Back Plate & Tailgate Emblem

DSC_0571 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

I was talked into painting the background red and to be honest I dont like it. This week I will be repainting them Black & body color (PDM).

I installed the front and like I said I dont care for the look. I think it would look really good on a Black or a Red truck.

DSC_0626 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

DSC_0628 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

This month I think I am going to add a Magnaflow 16869 Kit. I was trying to decide between the MF and a Borla XR-1 but I can get the MF at cost through work so MF it is!

Right now my wanted mods look like this

- Magnaflow 16869
- American Racing Headers 1 3/4" (once warranty is up)
- Ram Sport front & rear painted bumpers
- Ram Sport Painted Grill
- Ram Sport Hood
- S&B Cold Air Intake (I can get the Volant, K&N, AFE at cost so its a tough choice)
- Leer Topper
- Truck Box Drawers
- Ram Box Truck Box
- BDS or Rancho 4" Suspension Lift
- 80-85mm throttle body
- Rim & Tires
- Still havent decided on rims. Tires I want to go with the Toyo Open Country ATII Xtreme. I need something aggressive for hunting but have a 120 KM round trip commute 5 days a week.
- Recon LED Tailights
- Recon LED Cab Light
- Still unsure what I want for headlights. I havent found a projector that really screams buy me so I may look at something close to stock (blacked out) with an HID kit. I am going to keep my eyes open for a set of Mopar Black Projectors.

Here is how she sits now

DSC_0796 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

C.Carmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Contact 0212353 on here... He's the man for ram headlights. Nice truck I like it! I agree with the badges tho.

Asur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Sweet truck, I agree with the Ram Logo it might be better another color. but the rest of the truck looks sweet, great work on the Ram badge.

WinterSoldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol I read "some bolt ons will be added over time" and then scrolled down to your list! Thats a pretty heavy transformation. Can't wait to see you start piecing it together!

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nice lookin' truck! I like the orange, grey and orange can work. Think I would have painted the Ram head color matched though. That would look BA. :welcome:

Just read where it said it was red, man it looks orange on here, lol.

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys.

Tried to do the back emblem tonight and came to conclusion after some ebay searches I am just going to order a black emblem and paint it. $25 for an emblem so I will just paint the background and clear the entire thing.

Im not going to be able to mix the small amount needed for the emblems so I am thinking I will paint some of my interior as well. Does anyone have any experience painting the chrome cladding on the interior or even on the emblems? Especially around the console shifter. Another question, can I drive the truck with the bezel and console removed? The paint will have to dry over night and its a 120km round trip commute to work and back.

The painter at work bought a 2014 Chevy 1500 1LT 2 weeks after I bought my truck (what a copy cat right, just couldnt let his prepper have a newer truck), actually he's a pretty good buddy of mine. He ordered a Magnaflow exhaust for his truck and there is no way I will let his chevy sound better than my Ram, so I ordered a Magnaflow 16869 kit as well. I really tossed around the idea of an 18" muffler, Black tips and getting a muffler shop to built a stainless exhaust but ended up ordering the 16869 kit at the end of the day. Should be here tomorrow or wednesday and should have it installed by friday.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I sprayed my interior but plan on redoing it. I didn't get quite the red I wanted and I'm going to use a different paint. Debating on using the Dupli-Color or maybe Plasti-Diping. If you spray I suggest adhesive promoter, paint, and clear. Not the same for Plasti-Dip though, different prep. I have some pics in my build thread.

I was thinking you are so screwed. Your mod list will never end being here and having a buddy to compete with, lol. :laughing1:

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My biggest worry is the paint peeling off the chrome cladding. I want it to stick good.

I work in an autobody shop an we use Dupont Chromax Pro paint so im hoping the rep will be able to give me some tips. Im not too worried about the silver and black plastic, its the chrome cladding that has me worried.

Him an I have been in competition since have known each other. He says he is doing exhaust, CAI, Rims & Tires, leveling kit and thats it but who knows with him. I can see him buying an old muscle car before he puts too much into his truck.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I sanded the chrome trim on the console and hit it with paint. It's sticking well. I sprayed my chrome clad rims with Plasti-Dip but think I screwed it up cause it peeled on me. Think there was some alcohol or chemical left in the crevasses. I've seen many other's with it on rims and it's held.

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Magnaflow showed up on tuesday. I love ordering from Grand West, delivered to the shop in 2 days!

Magnaflow 16869 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

There was a little teasing about the 22" muffler from my chevy lover painter buddy, his Magnaflow kit came with an 18". He was pretty quiet when we unpacked those dual 5" Tips!! Those things are HUGE!

We got the truck on the hoist that night and it took less than an hour to take the old exhaust off, install the new one and adjust where the tips sit. We found out the bumper was out of alignment by about 1/4" so onto the frame machine she went to do a small pull.
I dont think the bumper will ever be this close to the ground again.

DSC_0016 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

The right side tip needs a little more adjustment but then it will be perfect. Sorry about the dirt. I drove it home and back before I snapped those pictures. Its been a little warm here in southern Alberta so the snow is turning to slop.

You know to be honest I wasnt too impressed with this kit when I put it on, I was really let down with how quiet it was. Alot of the videos I had seen made this exhaust seem pretty loud. Well the farther I drove last night the louder the sound got, needless to say the more I drive it the more I am liking it. It now has a moderately loud rumble to it thats not obnoxious like the Flowmater 40 Series I had on my 2007 Ram. Over all I am pretty happy with the system and look forward to hearing it after its broke in.

I will post a video later on.

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty busy week in the shop but I managed to get in some truck time. Last weekend I picked up some Plasti Dip and we played with it during the week. We dipped my buddies Silverado emblems thursday night and were happy how they turned out on his truck.

Earlier in the week I ordered some body color spray paint as well from NAPA and resprayed my emblems. Overall I am happy with how they came out. I also took the grill apart and sprayed the inserts black, next step is a color match grill.

DSC_0255 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

DSC_0271 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

DSC_0233 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

DSC_0247 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

DSC_0252 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Lastnight we dipped the Chrome Clad 20's with 5 or 6 coats of black and 2 coats of Glossifier. The black went on super easy but the clear is a much more difficult product to use. There is a fine line between a nice smooth finish and the drips. However I am happy so far. I left the truck at the shop lastnight and will pick it up this afternoon to see how it turned out.

Here she is with 1 coat of gloss on the rear rim.
12136557643_f527bc0e8f.jpg
DSC_0292 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Fridays I usually clean the truck for the weekend so while I was cleaning I pulled the side inserts and sprayed them.

DSC_0297 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Looks good! Any chance you could get a closer picture of your plastidip wheels with the glossifer? I just have my wheels black but thought of doing the glossifer on them.

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good! Any chance you could get a closer picture of your plastidip wheels with the glossifer? I just have my wheels black but thought of doing the glossifer on them.

The glossifier is a real pain in the **** to use. You have to put it on heavy to get a nice smooth coat and with all the angles its really easy to run the product. Then once you think you have a nice smooth finish it dries rather rough. Over all I am not happy with the product but will try it more to see if I can figure out a method to the madness.

It definatly adds depth to the Plasti Dip and give it a nice finish but there is not much room for error. My rims took 2 cans and had I taken them off vs left the rims on the truck I would have used 3 cans.
Here is my rim

DSC_0345 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

I found this online

PlastiDip Gloss vs No Gloss by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Rims look good but not really liking what you had to say about the gloss effect. I have to take one rim off this summer and re-do it, got closer to an edge than I thought and tore a tiny little piece off, plus want to add some more coats to the wheels.

I just know that when it's raining and stops, the rims look so nice with the effect from the water, was hoping for something similar with the glossifier.

If you figure out the best method or any tricks to it, let me know!

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here she is post dip

DSC_0336 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

12162001516_0ab8782c10.jpg
DSC_0343 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

While I was at the shop I pulled out some of the dash & steering wheel bezels. Wiped them down, gave them a quick scuff and put some paint on them.

DSC_0348 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

DSC_0347 by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Next step is the emblem on the steering wheel, the bezel & center console.

So far I am pretty happy the way its coming.

Headlights will probably be next month. Depending on work I may try and paint the bumpers, side steps, grill, and door handles. We've been putting in some late nights last month between work and working on the trucks so it may be nice to take it easy. I have been using my overtime to purchase parts so it all depends on how busy it is.

I am still undecided what I want to go with for headlights. I am not sure if I want projectors or to keep and paint the stock lights. I like the Spyder headlights, they look exactly like the Rigid for less. However I dont like the red reflective tape on the side and I am still on the fence on how hollow they look. I am going to see if I can track a set down and look at them in person.
My other thought is to take the lights apart and paint the Chrome piece body color. Im worried this may be too much grey though, I think I seen someone on here with this kind of set up so I may do some digging to see if I can find the truck.

Tail lights really have me puzzled. I was looking at a set of Recon Smoked but I dont want a tinted light with a chrome base. I would like to find a set that are all black with red LEDs but every set I see has chrome reflectors and red reflective tape on the inside. I am not really a fan. I could deal with the reflective tape if I could find a set of taillights that didnt have the chrome reflectors.

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rims look good but not really liking what you had to say about the gloss effect. I have to take one rim off this summer and re-do it, got closer to an edge than I thought and tore a tiny little piece off, plus want to add some more coats to the wheels.

I just know that when it's raining and stops, the rims look so nice with the effect from the water, was hoping for something similar with the glossifier.

If you figure out the best method or any tricks to it, let me know!

You really got to put it on heavy. I would take your rims off and gloss them that way. Its a real pain in the **** to do them on, hit all the angles and still be able to put on a heavy smooth finish yet not run the product.

The gloss is also more rubbery in feel than the dip. DipYourCar said its a different product than spraying the colors hence the difficult use and texture. I think dirt would be attracted to this alot more.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
You really got to put it on heavy. I would take your rims off and gloss them that way. Its a real pain in the **** to do them on, hit all the angles and still be able to put on a heavy smooth finish yet not run the product.

The gloss is also more rubbery in feel than the dip. DipYourCar said its a different product than spraying the colors hence the difficult use and texture. I think dirt would be attracted to this alot more.

Yeah, if dirt is going to be attracted to it, forget it. lol

I'm just gonna stick to the black plasticdip and leave the glossifier alone.

OP
OP
R

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Things sure have slowed down on this truck but still alot done in the 2.5 months I have owned it.

Weekends have been spent looking at a camping trailer and trying to figure out how much this truck can pull without being over loaded. All figured out, now time to narrow down our trailer search.

In the evenings I was able to paint the center console and dash bezel. I am pretty happy with how it turned out but if I have to do it again I will do it in base clear vs single stage. Only one more piece on the roof left to paint.

Painted Consol by RyanGSP, on Flickr

Next month will be to work on the headlights. I have already ordered new headlights for the project, now I just need to order the projectors from JJ.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Truck is really lookin' good. :waytogo: