S&B or Vararam or something else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What would be considered "opening up the exhaust?" Catback system, header back, muffer, stainless tubing?

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Muffler! I think 99% of people will agree on this.

You cant be serious?? Was that a sarcastic post?

Opening up the exhaust means headers and a new y-pipe. The stock muffler is not the restrictive portion of the system until you go headers, and not shorties.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
You cant be serious?? Was that a sarcastic post?

Opening up the exhaust means headers and a new y-pipe. The stock muffler is not the restrictive portion of the system until you go headers, and not shorties.

I figured he wasn't referring to headers and full out upgrade. from his post i thought he was asking if cat back systems are worth it, upgrading tubing was worth it, or if axle backs were worth it. I didnt really realize what he was asking in the grand scheme of things lol sorry. Headers ftw in that case!!!

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You arent going to notice anything with the Vararam either. While they will provide gains, they are so minimal on a stock vehicle. Get some better exhaust flow and ported TB and a tune and then you will notice a difference. These trucks are constricted to all hell in the exhaust department. If you are looking for performance, you do not look for an intake first.

Exactly right!

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler! I think 99% of people will agree on this.

Actually no, replace those log manifolds with some long tubes, or if nothing else the other most constricted part of the exhaust system is the stock y pipe. The muffler will do nothing for performance.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Muffler gives the truck a personality :)

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Whiny?... Definitely not the right word. This video does a good job showing the difference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8rGjUY5Ko

Also I think you're forgetting a huge part; the fender intake. The intakes aren't just sucking in hot engine bay air. Fresh, colder air is constantly being brought up from the fender just how the engineers designed it too... Its known that the Rams come with a pretty efficient intake to start with, this is the reason why.
The thing that never sat good with me about my vararam was while my active shutters are closed, what fresh, cold air was my vararam sucking in? According to my mpg's...not much. The ram air effect worked beautifully under heavy acceleration though!

Its all about what you want out of your purchase honestly. they ALL have pros and cons. Not one is gonna be superior in all ways. Too many people get caught up in confirmation bias
If there is a gap between the underside of the hood and CAI (or no back wall to the CAI like most open designs), then the fender vent being longer and further to travel will have more resistance to flow and be drawn on less than the hot under hood air (actually suction will equalize by drawing from easiest source, in this case under hood, because air flows from relatively higher pressure to relatively lower pressure). That's basic thermodynamics. Also that leak means the temperature at the filter inlet approaches ambient under hood temp, not exterior.

As you pointed out the OEM box isn't awful, but that is because it is sealed and draws only through the fender.
That all changes when you add one of the open box CAIs. They typically have metal boxes which is bad, have gaps or don't seal, or allow air suction through the under hood insulation. The only thing worse would be adding a metal intake tube.

A home kit-bashed intake using the original box and adding flow from outside would be better than K&N, Spectre, or AIRAID open box CAI designs.

In third place behind Vararam and S&B would probably be Volant which is also a closed system.

Whinny is the sound of an open CAI at idle--sounds like a gasping A/C compressor on its last legs "woooooooooooooo"

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
If there is a gap between the underside of the hood and CAI (or no back wall to the CAI like most open designs), then the fender vent being longer and further to travel will have more resistance to flow and be drawn on less than the hot under hood air (actually suction will equalize by drawing from easiest source, in this case under hood, because air flows from relatively higher pressure to relatively lower pressure). That's basic thermodynamics. Also that leak means the temperature at the filter inlet approaches ambient under hood temp, not exterior.

As you pointed out the OEM box isn't awful, but that is because it is sealed and draws only through the fender.
That all changes when you add one of the open box CAIs. They typically have metal boxes which is bad, have gaps or don't seal, or allow air suction through the under hood insulation. The only thing worse would be adding a metal intake tube.

A home kit-bashed intake using the original box and adding flow from outside would be better than K&N, Spectre, or AIRAID open box CAI designs.

In third place behind Vararam and S&B would probably be Volant which is also a closed system.

Whinny is the sound of an open CAI at idle--sounds like a gasping A/C compressor on its last legs "woooooooooooooo"

:word:

Volant had a track record for having fitment issues.

Like I said before, be careful about confirmation bias my friend. I just want to know how the "best" intake can be efficient when the airflow is completely rerouted over the hood and the supply of air is now restricted significantly (when the shutters are closed).

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I think the only place the Vararam actually shows gain is the track. So really if you aren't doing a lot of WOT stuff or running on the track I'd save a few bucks and get the S&B that's just my opinion though.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Nice, shoot some pics at us once you get it in :)

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am also thinking of going with a CAI and have been looking at the S&B. I can get about $50 off retail on a new one with a promo code. I already installed an 18" magnaflow muffler last year and have the factory sport dual exhaust. After a CAI I think the next performance mod will be a programmer.

SeminoleFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You cant go wrong with either of these kits. The Vararam wins in the all out performance category, but the S&B has a better overall fit/finish. I have run both on my own trucks. I didnt see any mileage increase from either. And the S&B is a little louder than the Vararam.
What is the best performance cold air intake you guys would suggest for a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport. I have read quite a few threads and have not been able to determine any hard evidence of one being better than the next. I like the idea of the closed box that the S&B has, but I need to get a decent gain on HP and TQ. I currently have flowmaster exhaust installed but that is it.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Vararam is the only way to go!

Attachments

• IMG_20150819_181128_363.jpg
    IMG_20150819_181128_363.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What is the best performance cold air intake you guys would suggest for a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport. I have read quite a few threads and have not been able to determine any hard evidence of one being better than the next. I like the idea of the closed box that the S&B has, but I need to get a decent gain on HP and TQ. I currently have flowmaster exhaust installed but that is it.

The Vararam is the best performing intake, but if your only mod is a muffler, I would without a doubt go with a Diablo tuner with Hemifever Custom Tuning before anything else. The custom tuning alone is going to get you 30-35hp/tq to the wheels where most intakes are only going to get you about 10-15hp/tq. I've seen Vararam make 18hp on the dyno, but that is the highest pull I have seen from an intake alone.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
+1

Diablosport and HF 93 octane is awesome

just installed mine and it is power you can feel

Computer Tuners

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
what is the best performance cold air intake you guys would suggest for a 2014 ram 1500 sport. I have read quite a few threads and have not been able to determine any hard evidence of one being better than the next. I like the idea of the closed box that the s&b has, but i need to get a decent gain on hp and tq. I currently have flowmaster exhaust installed but that is it.

Go Noles!