Safety Recall 13A: Grid Heater Relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone,

We wanted to come on here to remind you of a recall that was launched previously in an effort to increase the completion rate. Some 2021-2023 Ram 2500/3500/4500/5500s may be affected.
The recall number is 13A. Your vehicle can experience an engine compartment fire originating from the Generation 1 solid state intake air grid heater relay. An electrical short in the relay can potentially lead to a vehicle fire with the ignition on or off
Your dealer will replace the suspect relay. It should take about half an hour.

Please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership if you are having trouble completing this recall. The part supply has improved, so dealers should not have concerns when ordering parts.

You can learn more on recalls.mopar.com, or feel free to send us a private message. We are happy to answer any questions.

Thank you,
Ram Cares

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got on the list at my dealer for the 3 recalls on my '22 laramie 2500 but have not heard anything from them. I dont worry about the flaming dipstick much because even towing my 5th wheel in 100+ temps trans runs at 173*. as for the dpf sensor, the letter they sent me disregards a fix if over 600 engine hours and I am at 920. I would like to get the grid heater relay done but if I cant get them to do it before winter I will just disconnect the relay as some have done.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
There is plenty of grid relay's available, IMHO there is no excuse to not give appointments to get it replaced.. I saw one Mopar web site that listed 72 relays being in stock ready to ship, IIRC the price they wanted was $177.00, I posted the link in one one of the threads here on RF so don't let your dealer tell you they can't get them...

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
got mine done yesterday..the grid relay and dipstick. got truck back in less than 2 hours and the service dept. sent me a video of a walk around my truck checking tire tread depth and wear patterns, brake pads ,fluids, and a detailed printout of battery condition of both batteries. Autonation Ram North Richland Hills gets kudos from me.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I ran my vin on the recall site and surprise...it shows I have none anymore. before I took my 2500 in there were 3 recalls and the dealer did 2 but now FCA does not show that I need the DPF sensor. while I was at the dealer they told me they dont get any of those right now so I guess FCA is giving up on that one. interesting

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I ran my vin on the recall site and surprise...it shows I have none anymore. before I took my 2500 in there were 3 recalls and the dealer did 2 but now FCA does not show that I need the DPF sensor. while I was at the dealer they told me they dont get any of those right now so I guess FCA is giving up on that one. interesting

If they cleared yours that means you most likely already had the sensor installed so they were able to clear it.... As it was told to me dealers are only able to get the DPF sensor for the Y43 recall if a person has a recall notice on file for there truck and they go to the dealer to see about getting recall done... I know as I just went through this on my truck, dealer could only order the part after inputting my VIN into the computer to verify I had a recall notice on my truck, once order was placed they said it takes about 4 weeks to arrive, but that was before the union went on strike...

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
If they cleared yours that means you most likely already had the sensor installed so they were able to clear it.... As it was told to me dealers are only able to get the DPF sensor for the Y43 recall if a person has a recall notice on file for there truck and they go to the dealer to see about getting recall done... I know as I just went through this on my truck, dealer could only order the part after inputting my VIN into the computer to verify I had a recall notice on my truck, once order was placed they said it takes about 4 weeks to arrive, but that was before the union went on strike...
I dont have the sensor on mine and when I went for the appointment I took the 3 notices with me. when I got the completed work order back showing the 2 recalls they did, the notice for the DPF sensor was stapled to the back and they told me they arent getting those right now and will keep me on their list for that one. that's why I was surprised that that recall showed on the website before and then gone a few days later.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I dont have the sensor on mine and when I went for the appointment I took the 3 notices with me. when I got the completed work order back showing the 2 recalls they did, the notice for the DPF sensor was stapled to the back and they told me they arent getting those right now and will keep me on their list for that one. that's why I was surprised that that recall showed on the website before and then gone a few days later.

Some thing is not right about that it's no longer showing the recall needs to be done along with the we are not doing those right now, good gosh all they needed to do was get on the computer, fill in some info, hit send and presto the part gets ordered and shipped to them from one of the destruction centers or that is how they ordered mine, I have also read of a few dealers who at one time had a few of them in stock...

VictoyDaveAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just called my local dealer and NO Parts available for this recall, 13A, said they have never had the parts for this recall!! May need to get Ram Cares involved.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I just called my local dealer and NO Parts available for this recall, 13A, said they have never had the parts for this recall!! May need to get Ram Cares involved.

Tell your dealer to get his head out of his back side as there were parts in stock all over the place, I posted a link in this forum a while back to one Mopar dealer who at one time had plenty of them in stock before the UAW went on strike, I can't understand how some dealers pats dept. cant figure out how to order or find parts. Here is a link to one Mopar dealer who had them, not sure if they still do, Mopar # 68444169AB: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/par...year=2022&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=()

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. Should you need some additional assistance on the grid heater relay part, please send our team a PM, we'd be happy to assist.

William
Ram Cares

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
ya somehow this got changed to the heater relay..they have those, they dont have the dpf sensor that they left off the '22 models. that recall is Y43

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
ya somehow this got changed to the heater relay..they have those, they dont have the dpf sensor that they left off the '22 models. that recall is Y43
They have some they are just not in stock at the dealerships, when they ordered mine, SW had to have my VIN showing it had the Y43 recall notice to order the sensor, was told it could take up to 4 weeks, it did not take that long, but that was before the strike...

VictoyDaveAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Got all the recalls taken care of on my truck. Went to the dealer and talked to a service rep, they had all the recalls in stock. Thanks!

Canoesmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I made an appointment at Airpark Ram in Scottsdale AZ. For today. Went in and the advisor immediately says. “We don’t have the grid heater relay parts. I’ll put in an order. Call in two months and see if it’s in.“ I asked questions and he said “everybody wants them. We can only order one of these parts per week”. I asked, can’t you notify when the part comes if. He says “no”.

just awful. In the meantime I hope my truck doesn’t start on fire.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I made an appointment at Airpark Ram in Scottsdale AZ. For today. Went in and the advisor immediately says. “We don’t have the grid heater relay parts. I’ll put in an order. Call in two months and see if it’s in.“ I asked questions and he said “everybody wants them. We can only order one of these parts per week”. I asked, can’t you notify when the part comes if. He says “no”.

just awful. In the meantime I hope my truck doesn’t start on fire.
Sorry to hear you have an idiot dealership, just before the strike there were hundreds of them available for sale by several of the major online Mopar dealers... BTW I just found 2 of them online, one each at 2 different Mopar dealers, part # 68606435AB

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It took me 1 1/2 weeks after speaking with the Service advisor to get mine Replaced.