seat swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dacota25d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So i have a 2017 with seat bags power driver's seat manual passenger seat heated seats both sides. Im swapping in seats out of a 2012 power both sides heated and cooled also has airbags. Im not real good with wiring. I have diagrams for both seats but i have a hard time figuring it all out. As anyone done this that could help me out

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i have a 2017 with seat bags power driver's seat manual passenger seat heated seats both sides. Im swapping in seats out of a 2012 power both sides heated and cooled also has airbags. Im not real good with wiring. I have diagrams for both seats but i have a hard time figuring it all out. As anyone done this that could help me out
Unfortunately 2012 seats are not fully compatible with 2013 and newer trucks. You might be able to get the power motion working but I'm pretty sure the heating and venting functions will never work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As chrisbh17 stated the 2012 seats will not work with your truck. They communicate differently. Even if you were able to figure out the wiring for the seat adjustment, air bag and seat belt warning none of the heated or vented features will work in your truck. The 2012 trucks communicate with a completely different CAN system than the 13 to 18 trucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you get the 2012 seats from?

OP
OP
D

dacota25d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well that certainly sucks. I was hoping that it would work with some rewiring. I got them from a salvage yard

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the 12 and earlier seats are going much cheaper than the 13 and later. For the very reason that they aren't compatible.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mazdarx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see people swapping the seats into 3rd gen trucks and are able to get the heated and ventilated functions working. They're just adding extra switches though. So I think it could be made to function it just wouldn't work like factory.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see people swapping the seats into 3rd gen trucks and are able to get the heated and ventilated functions working. They're just adding extra switches though. So I think it could be made to function it just wouldn't work like factory.
They 100% can not work in the factory configuration in a third gen truck. The 3rd gen trucks cannot communicate with the HSM (heated seat module) which controls all the heatedand vented functions for the 13 to 18 trucks. They may be able to wire the cooling fans to a switch and have them just run at one speed and they may be able to wire aftermarket seat heater pads to a universal switch. The power adjust can be done pretty easily but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Can you PLEASE share the wiring diagrams that you have for the 2012 seats?!?!? I need them for my swap tomorrow!!! Thank you so much in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk